PDA

View Full Version : Fiendform + Polymorph Any Object

Will_Shakespear
2015-10-08, 02:43 PM
Hey guys!

So I scanned many forums and threads, old and new ones. In the end I came up with the following question, hoping you could give me an up-to-date answer.

Is it legal for my human wizard to

-cast Fiendform in order to get the Outsider type, including all the Ex, Sp and Su abilities of the new form

and then

-cast Polymorph Any Object in order to get e.g. a Planetar form, including all of its Ex, Sp and Su abilities?

Is this legal? What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Tiri
2015-10-08, 09:42 PM
Polymorph Any Object functions like Polymorph except that it has a different duration and can affect more things. Polymorph only gives (Ex) special attacks, no other (Ex) abilities and no (Su) or (Sp) abilities. So you would only get the (Ex) special attacks of a planetar and nothing else. The Outsider type by itself also doesn't help much with the duration of Polymorph Any Object since type isn't one of the guidelines stated in the spell description.

atemu1234
2015-10-08, 11:59 PM
Polymorph Any Object functions like Polymorph except that it has a different duration and can affect more things. Polymorph only gives (Ex) special attacks, no other (Ex) abilities and no (Su) or (Sp) abilities. So you would only get the (Ex) special attacks of a planetar and nothing else. The Outsider type by itself also doesn't help much with the duration of Polymorph Any Object since type isn't one of the guidelines stated in the spell description.

So I guess it's an animal then, since it doesn't seem like a vegetable or mineral.

Will_Shakespear
2015-10-09, 11:14 AM
Thank you guys so far!

I'm confused atm. Looking at the Rules of the Game http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060502a one will keep its type and subtype when polymorphing, but the spell description http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm says one gets the type and subtype of the new form.

So what is true now?

I want to use Fiendform in order to get the Outsider type, so I'd be able to change into an Outsider via the Polymorph spells. So let's say my human wizard is now in Fiendform and has the Outsider type. What happens now, when he casts one of the Polymorph spells to get into Planetar form? He won't get any of the Planetar's Sp or Su abilities, he neither gets any Ex, because a Planetar has no Ex Special Attack.
But what about the type? Is my formerly human wizard now an Outsider? If so, does that benefit him in any way? What about the angel traits? Does he get any of them?