PDA

View Full Version : Portable Vainglory [phone/tablet MOBA] [it's good, honest!]

Infernally Clay
2015-10-08, 06:53 PM
Vainglory is a three v three MOBA for mobiles and tablets, basically, but one that works really really well. Like League of Legends or Heroes of the Storm there's a rotation of free heroes to try out that can be bought with either Glory (currency earned in-game) or ICE (the game's premium currency), with the heroes themselves having a lot of variety and encompassing lots of different roles and playstyles.

In addition to heroes you can buy or unlock extra character skins, with many heroes having three, using the game's card system. You earn cards either by buying card packs with Glory or ICE or randomly winning them after matches and each skin requires all the cards for the previous skin as well as new ones (eg. Joule's tier 3 skin requires all the cards her tier 2 skin requires, plus six legendary rarity cards).

It controls ezackly like you'd expect but differentiates itself in execution - there's only one lane and controlling the jungle beneath it is every bit as important as pushing for the turrets. Each side has five of these turrets that must be destroyed in order before you can reach the objective, whereas the jungle has three mines. One mine on each side of the jungle controls the strength of allied minions (you want to capture both of these) while the central mine collects gold over the course of the match. This particular mine is a lot harder to capture but is obviously huge if you want a gold advantage over the enemy team. At the fifteen minute mark the central mine stops generating gold and instead spawns the Kraken, a super tough NPC that will fight for whatever team last hits her and attack the enemy team's turrets for them.

Anyway... It's out on iOS and Android and I've been playing it for quite some time now and if you start playing this month you get a free hero (Taka for Android and Celeste for iOS). Anyone else play it? We can set up our own Guild in-game if there are enough players. Either way my username in the game is InfernallyClay (all one word), so add me if you do start playing or already do.

For those that want to see the game in action, click here (https://youtu.be/tTuLitBhfTY)!

FeyLich
2015-10-13, 02:29 PM
I love playing Vainglory, it's a great MOBA that doesn't take forever to play, and is really fun. Though as with any MOBA, there are people who just leave half way through.
I mainly use Catherine or Ringo, and I'm about Decent-ish at the moment.

Weimann
2015-10-13, 03:16 PM
I played it for a bit, but I had to delete it when my phone ran low on memory. Thing is huge.

It also didn't help that I liked exactly one character of the ones I tried, and I only managed to catch her on rotation once.

That said, I think it's a competent game that'd definitely doing the best DotA-clone in iOS as of yet.