PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rogue Archetype - Mentalist - feedback appreciated

newguymatt
2015-10-08, 09:01 PM
Hi.

I put together a new archetype for rogue and wanted to see if people thought the balance was okay and maybe see if there were any suggestions out there. I was looking for an int/wis type character class for those who weren't lucky enough to have money for wizard school, not favored by any deities, and hadn't run into beings granting free powers. Just someone who had to use their wits. Admittedly, it started out as a Sherlock Holmes type thing, but I've really tried to make it diversified enough to fill many roles - court adviser, Archeologist, guild master, detective, and so on. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

MENTALIST

You draw upon a combination of impeccable logic, brilliant instincts, and occasional plain-good luck to perform dazzling displays of intellect that appear kin to magic to the casual observer. Detectives, treasure seekers, bounty hunters, advisors, and guild leaders sometimes adhere to this archetype. Your mind is your greatest weapon, and you constantly seek out knowledge to improve your skills.

Quick Study – By the time you select this archetype at level 3, you have become so adept at assessing opponents’ fighting styles and weaknesses that you can quickly take advantage of faults in technique or predictable actions. If any opponent misses you with a melee, ranged, or spell attack, you may apply your sneak attack damage in all non-disadvantaged future attacks against them for the remainder of the encounter. This ability does not work if you cannot see your opponent when they miss, and requires reactivation when switching from ranged to melee or vice versa with each specific opponent.

Mind Palace – At level 3, you receive 3 intuition points, which represent your capacity to translate your knowledge and instincts to practical application through deep concentration. These points accrue at 1 per Mentalist level, replenish after a long rest, and are spent to access various abilities you have mastered. Although this allows you to achieve spell-like results, there is no magic involved, and therefore, the effects are not counted as magic for resistance or immunity purposes. In addition, the spell descriptions may not properly illustrate your execution of a specific ability; except where noted, you can ignore any verbal, somatic, or material components, and while results are consistent, each mentalist may have a slightly different approach and methodology to access and execute their talents.

You automatically gain access to the Guidance cantrip as an at-will ability (self only), and can spend 3 intuition points to use the spell Augury. Other abilities are dependent upon mentalist level and skill proficiency, as follows:

Animal Handling - You can effect the spell Animal Friendship (2 points) immediately and Beast Bond (2 points) at level 7.

Arcana - You have access to Identify and Detect Magic (2 points each)

History - You can Comprehend Languages (1 point per language understood) and at level 9, Legend Lore (5 points)

Insight - You can use Enthrall (3 points) and after interrogating a subject or group of subjects for 10 minutes, cause them to behave as if they are within the area of Zone of Truth (3 points)

Investigation - You can Locate Object (3 points) at level 3. At level 7 you can Locate Creature (5 points, only in populated areas). Also at level 7, you can use Divination (5 points)

Medicine - You can Detect Poison and Disease (2 points) and at level 7, Revivfy (5 points)

Nature - At level 3, Locate Animals or Plants (2 points), and at level 9, Commune with Nature (6 points)

Perception - You can Find Traps (3 points), which improves to Find Hidden at level 7 (as per Find Traps but will also alert for secret doors and purposely hidden objects for 5 points)

Religion - You can Detect Good and Evil (2 points) and at level 7, Speak with Dead (5 points, ritual only)

Survival - You are able to Pass without Trace (3 points) and Enhance Ability (3 points, self only). At level 7, you gain the ability to Locate Creature (5 points, only in wilderness)

Focused Learning – At level 4, you must take the feat Keen Mind in lieu of an ability score increase.

Passive Preparedness – By level 9, your attention to detail and uncanny intuition is so finely tuned that you cannot be surprised while awake. Additionally, you have advantage on initiative rolls.

Master Detective – At level 13, you can spend an intuition point to immediately discern the intended function of any item or structure. Spend 2 additional points and one minute of study to glean general details about very recent history and current usage (if different from intended function). You must be able to touch an object or inspect an area to successfully use the second ability.

Additionally, you can gather useful information about intelligent creatures or groups of creatures you observe for at least one minute. Spend points as follows to deduce current mood (1 point), immediate history (2 points), general motives (3 points), or class type/profession and level/expertise (4 points). These costs are either per individual or for the assessment of multiple related targets – in the latter case, the results are far more general. As such, you may choose to appraise a group as a whole and also then spend additional points for a deeper understanding of individuals in that group should you so desire.

Precognitive Reflexes – When you reach 17th level, the synergy between your mental acuity and physical prowess nears perfection. You can use your reaction to make an attack against any creature that misses you in melee, ranged, or spell combat (you must be targeted with a spell attack), as long as you have a weapon with the range to do so at the ready. You may apply your sneak attack damage to this counterattack, as per Quick Study. This ability does not allow you to take more than one reaction a round, nor does it allow you to apply sneak attack damage more than once a round.

mictrepanier
2015-10-09, 04:15 PM
To compare apples with apples, just give spell progression like the arcane trickster instead of mind palace intuition points since it is mostly use for spells... And spell slots for higher level abilities...

newguymatt
2015-10-09, 05:46 PM
To compare apples with apples, just give spell progression like the arcane trickster instead of mind palace intuition points since it is mostly use for spells... And spell slots for higher level abilities...

Thanks for the input. As for the first part of your suggestion, I was thinking about going in that direction. I guess I could make the spell list any divination spell - I can still make the explanation that it isn't really casting. I was trying to avoid going in that direction because I didn't want it to be an arcane trickster variant, but maybe it just is. I also played with the idea of developing abilities for each skill instead of using spells, but as a first draft, went for the easy way. I'm not sure I understand the second part of your suggestion. Do you mean that the higher level abilities should be converted into spells?

Thanks again

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-10-10, 09:41 AM
I believe he means not to convert the abilities into spells, but write something like "The Mentalist can spend X spell slots to *insert ability text here*.

I do really like this sub-class, though, it definitely gets the Sherlock Holmes aspect across REALLY well.

newguymatt
2015-10-10, 04:26 PM
I believe he means not to convert the abilities into spells, but write something like "The Mentalist can spend X spell slots to *insert ability text here*.

I do really like this sub-class, though, it definitely gets the Sherlock Holmes aspect across REALLY well.

That make sense. So mind palace becomes the arcane trickster's spell progression chart with very limited spell options (mainly most divination spells and a few others) and the 13th level ability becomes something like spend 4 levels worth of spell slots to use visions of the past as per knowledge cleric. I think that works pretty well, and is definitely cleaner.

If I was to go that way, I'm having a little trouble with coming up with appropriate 3rd and 4th level spells - speak with dead, revivify, maybe protection from energy as a ritual with components, locate creature, divination... anyone have any other ideas? The cantrips may all have to be assigned - guidance, friends (subject knows you've manipulated them, not magic'd them), true strike, and maybe blade ward. Any ideas there?

Thanks