PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler content

FdL
2007-05-21, 01:26 PM
I thinks it would be important that in certain sub forums like Media Discussions people took more seriously the posting of materials with spoilers.

I have recently been victim to one post by Varen_Tai, that wasn't properly tagged or formatted (ie, it didn't have a "possible spoilers" tag in the thread title, nor did it have any spoiler-hiding code in the body of the message.

It was actually pretty bad for me to be on the receiving end of this, because with Heroes (the material in question) I take care not to read anything from where I can learn something I haven't yet seen, and I invest a lot of energy into it. I really like the series and discovering things for yourself is half the fun. So I got a little less fun thanks to this user.

But this is not about him, even. I see that in general people don't care about spoiling others. As I was just checking the aforementioned subforum, I was spoiled again by the tooltip emerging thing that appears when you rest the cursor on a thread name. That was enough to learn what happens in Spiderman 3 :S, as the author posted all the necessary information in the first line of his post. I mean, this feature could be removed I think, given that (you) admins are removing features for the sake of server processing time and traffic load.

So it would be interesting to come up with a way in which this spoiler thing can be better implemented, or moderated or something.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-21, 07:02 PM
But this is not about him, even. I see that in general people don't care about spoiling others. As I was just checking the aforementioned subforum, I was spoiled again by the tooltip emerging thing that appears when you rest the cursor on a thread name. That was enough to learn what happens in Spiderman 3 :S, as the author posted all the necessary information in the first line of his post. I mean, this feature could be removed I think, given that (you) admins are removing features for the sake of server processing time and traffic load.
That author did put the information in a spoiler box. The tooltip feature ignores the spoiler tag. So even if you use a spoiler, if covers one of the first few lines of your post, it will show up in the tool tip.

FdL
2007-05-21, 08:53 PM
That author did put the information in a spoiler box. The tooltip feature ignores the spoiler tag. So even if you use a spoiler, if covers one of the first few lines of your post, it will show up in the tool tip.

Well, I hadn't noticed. But that's a good thing to know, I know *I* will take it into consideration when posting any potential spoiler.

It is some kind of an irony the fact that with the tooltip you get more information than reading the actual post. I don't know, I could do without the tooltips, not just for this reason.

Jacob Orlove
2007-05-21, 11:33 PM
I really like the tooltips, because there are a ton of threads with really, really vague titles, where it's nice to be able to see what the thread is about without having to load a whole new page.

I won't cry if they disappear (anything to keep the servers running), but I didn't want them to go undefended.

DreadArchon
2007-05-25, 11:50 AM
There's a tooltip feature?

Whoa, thanks Fdl, that's handy!

(And... erm... sorry for your loss?)