PDA

View Full Version : Humanoids as Monsters

ekarney
2015-10-09, 12:12 AM
Before we start: if you take the "huma" out of humanoids you're left with "noids" which is a cool word, I'll have to use that at some point.

Anyway, are there any monster entries that actually have levels in humanoid?

Draconium
2015-10-09, 12:14 AM
Gnolls are Humanoid, and have two Racial HD.

Zaydos
2015-10-09, 01:04 AM
Lizardfolk are another with 2 RHD.

Nifft
2015-10-09, 01:14 AM
Bugbears got 'em too.

ben-zayb
2015-10-09, 02:29 AM
You're welcome! (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/results.php?id=3949808905&skip=0)

Thurbane
2015-10-09, 03:06 AM
If you have to have RHD, you're better off with Monstrous Humanoid HD. Full BAB and two good saves. Dragon or Outsider are better still.

...although RHD on a Humanoid are useful for templates like Feral, I guess.

ShurikVch
2015-10-09, 08:23 AM
There are some Large-sized Humanoids with RHD:
Deep Stalker Queen (Dangerous Denizens) - 10 HD (LA: -), CR 5
Qullan (Living Greyhawk Journal #4) - 2 HD, CR 2
Yeti (Dungeon #84) - 4 HD, CR 3
Quinametin (Dragon #317) - 2 HD (LA: +2), CR 1

Also, Lycanthrope can add bunch of HD without changing Humanoid type.
For example, Deep Stalker Queen/Were-Giant-Squid will have 22 HD

The Viscount
2015-10-09, 12:30 PM
Before we start: if you take the "huma" out of humanoids you're left with "noids" which is a cool word, I'll have to use that at some point.

Anyway, are there any monster entries that actually have levels in humanoid?

If I were you, I'd avoid the noid.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/5/51355/2626148-untitled.png

Curmudgeon
2015-10-09, 12:54 PM
If you have to have RHD, you're better off with Monstrous Humanoid HD. Full BAB and two good saves. Dragon or Outsider are better still.

...although RHD on a Humanoid are useful for templates like Feral, I guess.
Feral changes the type to Monstrous Humanoid, so the only benefit of the Humanoid HD is to qualify for Feral. :smallamused:

Another benefit of Monstrous Humanoid is that they're proficient with simple weapons, and thus a Monstrous Humanoid Monk avoids that one pitfall (of many) of the class: nonproficiency with their main weapon.

Thurbane
2015-10-09, 07:19 PM
Feral changes the type to Monstrous Humanoid, so the only benefit of the Humanoid HD is to qualify for Feral. :smallamused:

Another benefit of Monstrous Humanoid is that they're proficient with simple weapons, and thus a Monstrous Humanoid Monk avoids that one pitfall (of many) of the class: nonproficiency with their main weapon.

Well, I actually meant the more RHD you have (Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid), the more benefit you get from the Feral template, compared to a humanoid who has no RHD. Although you need 4 or more for better Special Attacks.

A natural Lycanthrope would probably be the "easiest" option to get Pounce, Rake and Rend.