PDA

View Full Version : Let's read: Twilight Reimagined

John Cribati
2015-10-09, 02:02 AM
So for those of you who don't care about what Stephenie Meyer has been up to recently (so... maybe 98% of the people reading this) she celebrated the tenth anniversary edition of Twilight by releasing a gender-swapped version as a way to show that it's not sexist. That's probably gonna work about as well as it sounds it will.

I bought it. It was my birthday present to myself.

And I'm reading through it, and doing a series of videos documenting my progress.

You can find the full archive of videos (there are 4 so far, or maybe 5) on my tumblr here (http://johncribati.tumblr.com/tagged/Chad-reads-life-and-death/chrono), or if you prefer, my youtube playlist Here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUY1t6DJ24blS8bEW9pfjahinTKP0CpHZ).

This is gonna be a long ride.

Illven
2015-10-09, 05:40 PM
So for those of you who don't care about what Stephenie Meyer has been up to recently (so... maybe 98% of the people reading this) she celebrated the tenth anniversary edition of Twilight by releasing a gender-swapped version as a way to show that it's not sexist. That's probably gonna work about as well as it sounds it will.

I bought it. It was my birthday present to myself.

And I'm reading through it, and doing a series of videos documenting my progress.

You can find the full archive of videos (there are 4 so far, or maybe 5) on my tumblr here (http://johncribati.tumblr.com/tagged/Chad-reads-life-and-death/chrono), or if you prefer, my youtube playlist Here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUY1t6DJ24blS8bEW9pfjahinTKP0CpHZ).

This is gonna be a long ride.

Is it bad that I assumed Edythe was the guy?

Olinser
2015-10-09, 06:09 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleSixtyThree

Kitten Champion
2015-10-10, 01:05 PM
She, the author of Twilight, is writing bland Twilight fan-fiction.

Sure, why not?

comicshorse
2015-10-10, 01:28 PM
There's still money to be wrung from it !

Kitten Champion
2015-10-10, 02:04 PM
For the twentieth anniversary she can re-imagine Twilight again, but this time they'll all be cats!

Even the werewolves!

AGD
2015-10-10, 03:26 PM
If she had only gender-swapped the guys and turned everyone into catpeople, I would maybe reading it.

An Enemy Spy
2015-10-10, 07:36 PM
Honestly at this point, Stephanie Meyer should just write a series of Twilight themed adventure novels, each one having only a tangential relation to anything else in the series besides Edward and Bella having terrible vampire romance. In one book, they can find the lost treasure of the Incas, and in the next they can go to Mars. They're immortal after all, so why not take advantage of that? Her fans will buy literally anything she writes so long as it says Twilight on the cover.

Clertar
2015-10-10, 08:13 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/16/34/b6/1634b68f27897937ec177289d10a8f08.jpg

Starwulf
2015-10-10, 09:33 PM
Honestly at this point, Stephanie Meyer should just write a series of Twilight themed adventure novels, each one having only a tangential relation to anything else in the series besides Edward and Bella having terrible vampire romance. In one book, they can find the lost treasure of the Incas, and in the next they can go to Mars. They're immortal after all, so why not take advantage of that? Her fans will buy literally anything she writes so long as it says Twilight on the cover.

I hate stupid generalizations like this. I'm a fan of Twilight, and I have no intention of reading this "re-imagining", nor would I read "Anything that has Twilight on the cover" either. Not sure why people like you want to look down on people just because they like Twilight, but please stop it, it makes you look worse then you purport us to be ><

An Enemy Spy
2015-10-10, 10:52 PM
I hate stupid generalizations like this. I'm a fan of Twilight, and I have no intention of reading this "re-imagining", nor would I read "Anything that has Twilight on the cover" either. Not sure why people like you want to look down on people just because they like Twilight, but please stop it, it makes you look worse then you purport us to be ><

Oh, don't take it so personally. I like the Star Wars prequels and I constantly have to read post after post about how they're terrible and how watching them is akin to being literally tortured and how the only people who like them are socially maladjusted fools whose very existence is responsible for the downfall of modern cinema because we make bad movies profitable(none of that is an exaggeration by the way).

If you like Twilight that's fine, but I'm still going to make fun of it.

Starwulf
2015-10-10, 10:58 PM
Oh, don't take it so personally. I like the Star Wars prequels and I constantly have to read post after post about how they're terrible and how watching them is akin to being literally tortured and how the only people who like them are socially maladjusted fools whose very existence is responsible for the downfall of modern cinema because we make bad movies profitable(none of that is an exaggeration by the way).

If you like Twilight that's fine, but I'm still going to make fun of it.

You can make fun of Twilight itself all you want, but making fun of it's fans is irritating, and a bit odd considering you too are part of a minority(of which I am also a part of, I've always enjoyed the Star Wars prequels), and honestly, that last bit of your last post made it seem like Twilight fans are sheeple, and that's just not true. I enjoyed the Twilight books, I hope for a fifth book even though I realize it's unlikely to happen(I mean, c'mon, you can't just leave it alone with the situation with the Volturi being what it is), but I certainly wouldn't read just anything with Twilight on it, and the very thought of reading Twilight fanfiction makes me vomit in my mouth a little, LOL.

An Enemy Spy
2015-10-10, 11:00 PM
Well okay, I concede it was a cheap shot at Twilight fans and I apologize for it.

Starwulf
2015-10-10, 11:08 PM
Well okay, I concede it was a cheap shot at Twilight fans and I apologize for it.

:) All's forgiven, lol. It's just like with you and Star Wars, I'm always having to listen to others go on and on about how Twilight and it's fans are like the lowest of the low, and it gets on my nerves after a while. Doesn't matter what else I've read, the moment the words "I like Twilight" escape my mouth, all my opinions on literature are suddenly null and void. It's not like I consider it a great work of art or try to compare it to shakespeare, I just enjoy it for what it is: A slightly tawdry love tale between a girl and a vampire that happens to have a somewhat interesting take on vampirism and their interactions with humans.

An Enemy Spy
2015-10-10, 11:12 PM
Though you have to admit, it would actually be an interesting idea to show what being immortal is actually like. I don't think Stephanie Meyer really considered what she has here with her vampire couple beyond 'oh, they'll be together forever.' I mean, forever, that is a long freaking time. When the human race is building bases on Titan, they'll still be here. When we've discovered warp travel and have ships traveling to other galaxies, they will still be here. That's an incredible opportunity for storytelling. What is it like to be that old? Would they still be together? Would they even still remember why it was that they became vampires in the first place? What about even farther in the future? Will Edward and Bella still be gazing vapidly into each other's eyes in a billion years from now, when humans have evolved into a thousand different species on a thousand different worlds? That is interesting.

Starwulf
2015-10-10, 11:40 PM
Though you have to admit, it would actually be an interesting idea to show what being immortal is actually like. I don't think Stephanie Meyer really considered what she has here with her vampire couple beyond 'oh, they'll be together forever.' I mean, forever, that is a long freaking time. When the human race is building bases on Titan, they'll still be here. When we've discovered warp travel and have ships traveling to other galaxies, they will still be here. That's an incredible opportunity for storytelling. What is it like to be that old? Would they still be together? Would they even still remember why it was that they became vampires in the first place? What about even farther in the future? Will Edward and Bella still be gazing vapidly into each other's eyes in a billion years from now, when humans have evolved into a thousand different species on a thousand different worlds? That is interesting.

Hmm, looking at it from a serious perspective, yeah that could be interesting. She'd have to be willing to let some of them die off here and there though, to show that their is still danger out there, which sadly many better authors then her fail to do, falling prey to the "It's my main character, nothing that he/she or around he/she can ever die because they are just that awesome). But yeah, I actually think I would read something like that. Start out slow, skip forward 50 years in the future, have them still just as in love, have some interesting bits, then skip forward a few centuries, and see if any chips have formed in their love or if they've managed to hold strong. Show them living off-planet in a colony on mars or something.

Yeah...I can get behind that. Quick! Go get the ownership of Twilight from Ms. Meyers and start writing that :)

LaZodiac
2015-10-11, 12:52 AM
If it makes you feel better, at least as far as I can tell, most jokes at the expense of fans of this series are directed at the fans who are like "this romance is so good I want to be part of it" ignoring the fact that Edward is a creepy controlling emotionally abusive stalker. And at the (thankfully very few) fans who think Jacob literally falling in love with a baby is okay.

So it's not directed at you, you're a sensible good fan.

As an aside, I wonder how this book comes across with the genders reversed. I imagine it's juuust as creepy.

John Cribati
2015-10-11, 06:51 AM
I think the worst part so far is how this was in part a challenge to prove that her books weren't sexist, but she seems to be taking the route of "look how much MORE sexist this would be if Bella was a guy!"

That, or the fact that everyone has worse names, which I didn't think was possible given the original had the likes of Renesmé.

Which brings up another point... Renesmé was named after Bella's mother Rene and Edward's father Esme. But Bella's parents didn't suffer through the swap, so this 63'd vampire baby would logically be named after... Edythe's father Carlisle and Beaufort's father Charlie.

Carlie?

Or maybe Esme actually gets swapped to something terrible and that becomes half the name?

TheThan
2015-10-12, 07:53 PM
Why is it want this read by either George Taki or Christopher Walken in a book on tape.