PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Alchemist (WIP)

TopCheese
2015-10-09, 07:37 AM
The Alchemist

Level 1: Alchemy
Level 2: Infusions
Level 3: Alchemist Archetype
Level 4: ASI
Level 5: Create Familiar
Level 6: Alchemist Archetype Feature
Level 7: -
Level 8: ASI
Level 9: Infuse Familiar
Level 10: Alchemist Archetype Feature
Level 11: -
Level 12: ASI
Level 13: Quick Alchemy (1/Short Rest)
Level 14: Alchemist Archetype Feature
Level 15: Exchange Infusion (1/Long Rest)
Level 16: ASI
Level 17: -
Level 18: Quick Alchemy (2/Short Rest)
Level 19: ASI
Level 20: Alchemist Supreme

Alchemy: When you mix together your reagents they create a volatile mixture that has a specific efect. These abilities are what commoners refer to as bombs. Your bombs can have both offensive and defensive capabilities but have short durations.

Infusions: Infusions are like alchemy items but have longer lasting effects. These infusions are typically elixers that are ingested and infused into the Alchemist. Alchemist can't just drink an infusion and have the effect take place, it takes years of study and altering their body with alchemy in order to allow their bodies to use these Infusions effectively.

Each infusion has a penalty when someone other than the creator drinks it.

Alchemist Archetypes: Pitcher, Mr Hyde, and the Tinker are the three types of Alchemist.

Boost Alchemy: When you use your alchemy class features, the effects are increased. This can be damage, duration, or number of targets. Each Alchemy option will detail how they are boosted.

Quick Alchemy: A number of times per long rest the Alchemist may use their Alchemy class feature as a bonus action.

Extend Infusion: A number of times per long rest the Alchemist may double the duration of an infusion used on themselves. This is not a change to the infusion but a change to the Alchemist themselves.

Alchemist Supreme:

As an action you may mix together your ingredients and make and use one of the Alchemy items that you have the recipe for. Refer to the Alchemist Table for the number of recipes you know. These recipies are typically not written down as they are highly regarded trade secrets.

Your bomb attacks can be made as a melee or ranged attack. If made as a ranged attack they have a range of 30/60.

Alchemy items are very volatile and will expire if it used within the same turn they are mixed.

The saving throw DC for your alchemy is 8 + Intelligence Modifier + Proficiency Bonus.

The attack roll for your alchemy bombs is 1d20 + Str or Dex modifier + Proficiency Bonus.

Offensive Bombs

Concussive Bomb: Choose a point or creature within range. All creatures and unatended objects within 5' are pushed 10'. You are not immune to this effect. A Strength save negates this effect.

Gravija Bomb: Choose a point or creature within range. All creatures and unatended objects within 10' are pulled 5' (to the closed unattended space). You are not immune to this effect. A Strength save negates this effect.

Sticky Bomb: Choose a

Flash Bomb:

Defensive/Utility Bombs

Hazy Bomb: Choose a creature within range, when your bomb strikes the ground near the creature (or the creature itself) an alchmical smoke infuses with the creature and enhances their ability to flee. Until the start of your next turn the target is hazy when moving and attackers have disadvantage against the target when making an OA.

Focus Bomb: Choose a creature within range, when your bomb strikes the ground near the creature (or the creature itself) an alchmical smoke infuses with the creature and enhances their focus. Until the start of your next turn the target ignores disadvantage when they make their next attack roll.

Resistor Bomb: Choose a creature within range, when your bomb strikes the ground near the creature (or the creature itself) an alchmical smoke infuses with the creature and enhances their ability to resist effects. Until the start of your next turn the target ignores disadvantage when they make their next saving throw.

Infusions are long duration alchemical changes to your body. Whenever you ingest an infusion you go through a quick painful transformation. Depending on the infusion you will lose a specific number of Hit Dice until the end of your next long rest (this is the infusion cost).

Elemental Blood (Level 2, Cost: 1 HD): Choose Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning, when you injest this infusion your blood changes to this element (thus you literally have acid blood). You gain resistance to this element.

Additionally when you make an offensive bomb you may push infuse your blood with the bomb. One creature effected by the bomb takes 1d10 damage of your elemental choice. When you make a defensive bomb, the target gains resistance to your element until the the effects of the bomb stop.

This infusion lasts until the end of your next long rest.

×××××

Impossible Infusion (Level 2, Cost: 2 HD)
After consuming this infusion, your bones, skin, and muscles melt and reform as living rubber. You gain resistance to Bludgeoning and Piercing damage. Your natural reach is now 10'. Whenever you use a an offensive or defensive bomb you may use a piece of your hair or body (flakes of skin perhaps) to cause your bomb bounce. You can target places around corners even if you can't see the area.

Pitcher: Uses a repetoir of throws to enhance their bombs. From slider bombs, knuckle bombs, and changeup bombs they are each used to confuse and keep enemies off their game.

Mr. Hyde: Hyde Alchemist take using Infusions a bit too far... Gains rage/alter self infusions.

Tinker: At low level Tinker Alchemist can make items such as Alchemist Fire, Sunrods, and Tanglefoot Bags. At higher levels they can replicate magic items through alchemy.

Create Familiar: You create life, sort of, but close enough I guess. You gain one of the following as a Familiar. These work under the same mechanical rules as familiars from the Find Familiar spell.

Ooze:

Golem:

Tumor:

Quick Alchemy: You may use an Alchemy Bomb as a bonus action once per short rest.

Exhange Infusion: Once per long rest you may drink a special elixer. This elixer allows you to change an infusion you are currently effected by to another one you know.

Nishant
2015-10-09, 10:24 AM
looking forward to this :)

TopCheese
2015-10-09, 01:34 PM
looking forward to this :)

Hope so far I'm going in the right direction.

I'm taking most of the core class from the PF Alchemist but will have some 3e/4e stuff placed in eventually.

I figured giving item crafting to a subclass would be the best way to allow people to play an Alchemist even if their DM doesn't want item creation. But if they allow item creation then you can still use the same base class.

Eventually I might make my own set of base classes into one group under the a more coherent class set up. My Swordmage is consistent with this Alchemist so I might do other base classes too. I'm liking this.

Nishant
2015-10-09, 10:39 PM
The Alchemist

Infusions are long duration alchemical changes to your body. Whenever you ingest an infusion you go through a quick painful transformation. Depending on the infusion you will lose a specific number of Hit Dice until the end of your next long rest (this is the infusion cost).

Elemental Blood (Level 2, Cost: 1 HD): Choose Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning, when you injest this infusion your blood changes to this element (thus you literally have acid blood). You gain resistance to this element.

Additionally when you make an offensive bomb you may push infuse your blood with the bomb. One creature effected by the bomb takes 1d10 damage of your elemental choice. When you make a defensive bomb, the target gains resistance to your element until the the effects of the bomb stop.

This infusion lasts until the end of your next long rest.

Create Familiar: You create life, sort of, but close enough I guess. You gain one of the following as a Familiar. These work under the same mechanical rules as familiars from the Find Familiar spell.

Ooze:

Golem:

Tumor:

I like what you're doing with the infusions :)
As you said for the Hyde archetype, it will focus heavily on them. As you've probably read at this point, The Mutagens by themselves really just boosted stats with a penalty to others, unless you took an archetype for it; Beastform was extremely popular in that regard, and had lots of varying abilities. I believe something called toxicant recently became popular, though I'm not versed in it. There were also various discoveries that augmented it; One that made you invisible/ have camouflage, others that turned your spit into alchemist's fire (which you could bottle.), get natural weapons, etc. A suggestion for a Hyde subclass may be to mix infusions, or augment them (Or perhaps reducing the HD cost?)

The two 'essential' Hyde discoveries you already covered quite well, alter self taking feral, and the great/grand being replaced with Rage. Would it make sense for a Hyde to pick two of the options for Alter self? Given it's Melee bend, it probably would qualify or extra attack, as well..

As an addition to Elemental blood, perhaps it could make natural attacks do a degree of elemental damage? Something small even, like 1d4?

For bomber types, I'd recommend looking into the Grenadier archetype for inspiration, as well as the many, MANY bomb discoveries. They have a lot of support in that regard, much more so than the Mutagens. Elemental bombs of all kinds, plus all of the ones with crippling status effects.

Also, HOLY CRAP GOLEM FAMILIAR?! Sign me up! Would it be small/tiny like most familiars, or in actuality act similar a 'find mount' spell, or the Beast Master subclass?

EDIT; Sorry for the text dump, I believe myself knowledgeable, but I don't think am really talented at all with Homebrew myself, so all I can do is bring up key points from previous knowledge to try and help, since I put you up to this :/ and I dont know a thing about 4e Alchemist

EDIT 2;On Familiars

While I'm unsure how Golems would work out, I think I might have an idea on how to set up familiars, at least a bit.

Tumor shouldn't be too tricky; The discovery it's based upon is as simple as 'It's a wizard familiar you can hide in your body.' It can likely stay that way.

Oozes get a little funky due to CR, but there is a way that can be fixed. That being said, I think Gray Ooze is perfectly fine as-is, and could likely be used as the flat familiar if you didn't want to diversify the families, given the myriad options already available. Here is what I've got if you want to explore them all, though.

Gelatinous cube; This can likely be fixed quite easily; Cutting it to size medium and chopping HP would due nicely. While it's Engulf ability would be less effective, it still keeps the essence of the creature. If that isn't enough, taking down the associated acid damage could also work.

Ochre Jelly; Cut it's size to medium or small, reduce HP to fit, and remove the split ability.

Black Pudding; I'm honestly unsure if this could be a familiar; Even with cutting size, HP, and split ability, Corrosive Form is it's signature, and would feel wrong removing it. If the tinker has an ability to augment his familiar later on, This may be a way to buff an Ooze Familiar, though.

Golem (Construct?) Familiars(?); No concrete ideas yet, but more of archetypes for golems.

-Bodyguard; Take a 1/4-1/2 CR medium/Small humaniod, apply construct traits. You can arm this construct. It keeps any natural attacks at it's disposal, but loses other racial traits (For example, a troglodyte base would have it's multiattack, but would lose chameleon skin, stench, and sunlight sensitivity.)

-Mount; Take 1/4-1/2 CR medium/large CR Beast, apply construct traits. Rather than Find Familiar, this would likely follow Find Steed/Mount.

TopCheese
2015-10-10, 07:46 AM
Snip

I'm taking a lot of ideas from the Pathfinder Alchemist and adapting them over. The Pitcher will mirror the Grenadier but with a more Baseball Pitcher fluff... Mostly because I've seen some wicked throws from pitchers and emulating that through a D&D character should be fun.

I wasn't going to take monsters stright from the book and give them to the Alchemist as a Familiar but make my own versions of them. A higher level feature will allow the Alchemist to infuse the familiar with an infusion.

The golem will be slow but tough as nails, the ooze will be fast and crafty, and the tumor... Well the tumor will be a very creepily sneaky thing, I'm going to let it transfer to another creature on touch (sleight of hand + stealth).

I'll have to change the rules a bit on familiars but overall should be fun. At least I hope.

Nishant
2015-10-10, 08:30 AM
No worries!

That all sounds pretty solid, to me.

Nishant
2015-10-11, 09:23 PM
Also, it's sad that I'm now compulsively checking this page.

A concern for Golem Familiars; You said that you wanted it to be a slow, tanky/brutish types, but mechanically, I don't think familiars are allowed to attack.

On Supreme Alchemy; Have you considered this being a capstone effected by sub-class? I bring this up using PF as the example, where the options were immortality(Now an epic boon), Philosopher's Stone at will, True Mutagen, and I believe poison skin(Why was this a level 20?) I wasn't sure what you had in mind for it.

TopCheese
2015-10-12, 09:36 PM
Also, it's sad that I'm now compulsively checking this page.

A concern for Golem Familiars; You said that you wanted it to be a slow, tanky/brutish types, but mechanically, I don't think familiars are allowed to attack.

On Supreme Alchemy; Have you considered this being a capstone effected by sub-class? I bring this up using PF as the example, where the options were immortality(Now an epic boon), Philosopher's Stone at will, True Mutagen, and I believe poison skin(Why was this a level 20?) I wasn't sure what you had in mind for it.

The golem wouldn't need to attack in order to be tankish. It just needs high AC, high HP, and an ability to make creatures want to kill it. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it but I'll think of something eventually.

I'll end up updating this by the end of the week, don't check too often haha.

Nishant
2015-10-13, 01:59 PM
The golem wouldn't need to attack in order to be tankish. It just needs high AC, high HP, and an ability to make creatures want to kill it. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it but I'll think of something eventually.

I'll end up updating this by the end of the week, don't check too often haha.

Okay, haha. Do you mind if I tweak this and fill in blanks to use it in an upcoming game?