PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ideas for Cleric / Dweomerkeeper

Mordrigar
2015-10-09, 09:47 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

After a long break, I'm starting to play D&D 3.5 again. I have 1 full week to prepare my character. Campaign will be set in customized-sand box Forgotten Realms. I want to play as Cleric.

I'm not sure about deity but my DM let me choose Seldarine (Elven pantheon) so, I can choose any domain that belongs to an elven god.

ECL: 10
Point buy: 30

I'm thinking about

Gold Elf (-2 Str / +2 Int)
Cloistered Cleric 4* / Wizard 1 / Sacred Exorcist 1 / Dweomerkeeper 4
Domains: Magic - Luck (Because of rerolls) or Travel (Because of Survival skill and Teleport)

Str: 10 -2 racial = 8
Dex: 12
Con: 10
Int: 16 +2 racial = 18
Wis: 16 + level up points = 18
Cha: 10

1: Extend Spell
3:Extra Turning
6: Persist Spell
9:Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell

Flaw: Vulnerable (-1 to AC)
Feat from Flaw: Faeries Mysteries Initiate (+int modifier to HP per level)

*: Rebuke Undead ACF

Must-have magic items

Reliquary Holy Symbol: +1 turning attempts
Nightsticks: +4 turning attempts
Turns per day:
3 base + 4 Nightstick +1 Symbol +4 Extra Turning = 12 Turn Undead
12 Rebuke Dragon
Total= 24 Turn attempts available for Divine Metamagic: Persisting

With this build, I have high HP, access to 2 pools for turn attempts, can use wizard wands (Thinking about Eternal wand of Rope Trick and eternal wand of Identify) and scrolls. Also Supernatural Spell 1/day which is great. I can use Revivify on my fallen comrades without material components or I can cast my Persisted spells this way (can not be dispelled)

So, what do you think about this build? How could I add more flavor/power? Also which magical items & spells do you suggest for me?

Beyond this level, I'm thinking about DWK 5 or Contemplative 1 but I can't decide.

Warrnan
2015-10-09, 10:07 AM
Sacred exorcist states that you gain the ability to turn undead as a cleric. If you already have turning, you only add your sacred exorcist level to your cleric level to determine how strong your turning is.

As far as I can tell, you don't gain a second pool of turning uses, sadly.

Mordrigar
2015-10-09, 10:08 AM
Sacred exorcist states that you gain the ability to turn undead as a cleric. If you already have turning, you only add your sacred exorcist level to your cleric level to determine how strong your turning is.

As far as I can tell, you don't gain a second pool of turning uses, sadly.

I'm using Rebuke Dragon (From Dragon Magic) ACF for Turn Undead as level 1. So I gain my Turn Undead ability via entering that class. Until that level, I only have Rebuke Dragon.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-09, 10:30 AM
I'd drop the level of wizard and take Magical Training (PGtF) instead to fulfill the arcane casting requirement.
You'd need to spend another feat for the item creation requirement, but Inscribe Rune is a lot better than Scribe Scroll (mostly because scribing a rune takes only 10 minutes) so it's pretty much perfect for that.

That also naturally lets you go into Runecaster after getting 4 levels of Dweomerkeeper and the Sacred Exorcist dip, which is a really good choice for a casting-focused cleric.
To get by with feats you can choose Planning as your second domain for Extend Spell as a bonus feat. Rerolls are nice, but you can get them for money. Feats are a lot harder to get.

For access to Teleport i'd suggest the Belt of the Wide Earth (MIC), which lets you sacrifice a spell slot for teleport and also increases your carry capacity, which can be helpful if your strength is low and you want to stay under medium capacity. It's also pretty cheap for what it does, like most of the MIC set items.

You haven't mentioned what alignment you plan on playing, but if it's lawful good or neutral you can also take 2 levels of Church Inquisitor as your 4th and 5th level.
The only thing you lose from Cloistered Cleric is a few skill points, and in exchange you get a bonus to you will save, the Inquisition domain, Detect Evil at will and immunity to charms. It's a pretty good trade overall.
It also synergizes well with the Divine Defiance feat (FC2) to allow you to efficiently counterspell with little investment.

Warrnan
2015-10-09, 11:54 AM
I'm using Rebuke Dragon (From Dragon Magic) ACF for Turn Undead as level 1. So I gain my Turn Undead ability via entering that class. Until that level, I only have Rebuke Dragon.

Very nice work around. I missed that part. :)

Bronk
2015-10-09, 12:51 PM
You can also lose the wizard domain by choosing a deity like Mystra, that offers the Magic, Spell and Rune domains. You can take Magic for the domain prerequisite, Spell for 'anyspell' to take care of the prerequisite of being able to cast arcane spells and use the 'substitute domain' spell to switch in the Rune domain at least once to create a scroll, for magic item creation prerequisite.

If you take a level in 'contemplative' later on, you can grab any domain at level 1. The Envy domain grants 'limited wish' and 'wish', which you could then cast as dweomerkeeper supernatural spells without paying any XP.

Mordrigar
2015-10-09, 04:45 PM
If you take a level in 'contemplative' later on, you can grab any domain at level 1. The Envy domain grants 'limited wish' and 'wish', which you could then cast as dweomerkeeper supernatural spells without paying any XP.

Can you choose any domains with Contemplative 1? I mean don't you have to choose from your own deity's domain list?

Also, if I understand you correctly, you suggest me to choose Spell and Magic domains and give up wizard level. That seems like a good trade.

Also, now I'm thinking about to change my race to "Human" for another bonus feat. Maybe I can get Craft Wondrous Item or just simply cast Subtutite Domain for Rune domain, then Scribe Scroll.

1) Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5 / Dweomerkeeper 4 / Sacred Exorcist 1
or
2) Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 4 / Dread Necromancer 1 / Dweomerkeeper 4 / Sacred Exorcist 1

Both will have Rebuke Dragon as ACF. Number 2 will have 3rd pool of Turn/Rebuke but lose a caster level.

Bronk
2015-10-09, 08:15 PM
Can you choose any domains with Contemplative 1?

Yes, you can. The description of the class calls out the versatility of the 'bonus domain' class feature as capable of showing a switch between gods. The class feature itself is poorly written in an odd way that also permits choosing other domains.

The envy domain appears in the Spell Compendium, and has no associated god. (There are a number of handbooks out there that say that the Greyhawk god Erythnul grants it, but I checked, and that's just the name of one of his portfolios that's only included in the Greyhawk Gazetteer.)

Either way, if you're interested in it, run it by your DM. He/She seems pretty cool so far.

Also, if I understand you correctly, you suggest me to choose Spell and Magic domains and give up wizard level. That seems like a good trade.

It does get you spells a level earlier all the way up...

bean illus
2015-10-10, 11:58 AM
OP doesn't name the alignment, and cleric prcs are often alignment specific.

I've played with this build quite a bit. If you're willing to take Lawful Good you can get Church Inquisitor, Sacred Exorcist, and Seeker of the Misty Isle, as well as Contemplative. (And Contemplative can't be taken till lvl 11, so it works against DK)

Mantle of Spells cannot be reassigned, to hold of DK as long as possible.

CC4/CI2/SotMI1/SE1/DK2/Cont1/DK = 20th lvl caster.

You can go Human for the Feat and Skills, then take Human Heritage for Seeker qualification. Take Scribe Scroll, and after you make a scroll you can retrain it. The build cost 1 feat (after retraining).

Domains: Spell, Planning, Knowledge, Inquisition, Exorcism, Travel, Bonus.

PseudoPanda
2015-10-10, 01:42 PM
I don't really see why you're pumping Int so much but with Faerie Mysteries I guess it does work to reduce MAD (watch out for those Fort saves though). If you want skills then I'd suggest Cloistered Cleric from Unearthed Arcana for more skill points and the Knowledge domain (doesn't look like you'll be wearing heavy armor anyway and Divine Power fixes BAB issues).

You can also lose the wizard domain by choosing a deity like Mystra, that offers the Magic, Spell and Rune domains. You can take Magic for the domain prerequisite, Spell for 'anyspell' to take care of the prerequisite of being able to cast arcane spells and use the 'substitute domain' spell to switch in the Rune domain at least once to create a scroll, for magic item creation prerequisite.

Only problem is that DWK requires "Any item creation feat and any metamagic feat." along with having created one magic item so he'd need all three domains at the same time (Doable with Cloistered Cleric).

You can go Human for the Feat and Skills, then take Human Heritage for Seeker qualification. Take Scribe Scroll, and after you make a scroll you can retrain it. The build cost 1 feat (after retraining).

How does human with Human Heritage qualify for Seeker of the Misty Isle?

Bronk
2015-10-10, 02:24 PM
Only problem is that DWK requires "Any item creation feat and any metamagic feat." along with having created one magic item so he'd need all three domains at the same time (Doable with Cloistered Cleric).

I see that I didn't finish my thought in my previous post... one of the reasons you'd use the 'substitute domain' spell is to get the rune domain for as long as you need it (the spell lasts 24 hours, so you could cast it every day). The rune domain grants you the 'scribe scroll' feat which would be perfect for both the Dweomerkeeper 'any item creation feat' prerequisite without having to waste a feat, and actually using the feat to scribe at least one scroll would take care of the other prerequisite, having made 'at least one magic item, whether of a permanent nature or not'.

He would still need to take a metamagic feat as a prerequisite, whether he was a cloistered cleric or not. Nothing wrong with being a cloistered cleric though! An extra domain is always nice.