PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What kind of deity should I add to my campaign?

Dr TPK
2015-10-09, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking of adding a new deity into my game. On another thread, I was thinking about adding a god of redeemed criminals and good-aligned creatures from evil races, but the feedback that I got made me unsure. That's why I'm asking that if you took the deities from the Player's Handbook and added a new deity that would supplement the deities pretty well, what would you add that would improve the gaming experience for everyone? The deity should be rather centered on humans or race neutral, but I'm not too strict about it.

I'd like to suggest the following choices, but please feel free to suggest your own ones!
A deity of good-aligned creatures from evil races + redeemed criminals
A deity of treasure hunting.
A deity of female warriors and barbarians.
A deity of tactics and strategy.
A deity of clouds.
A deity of speed.

Solaris
2015-10-09, 01:39 PM
So... Drizzt, Indiana Jones, Power Girl, Athena, Storm, and Quicksilver?

Pop culture references aside, they seem fairly good additions to the core pantheon. Are you planning on having the cloud deity be of rain, storms, weather, and the other sorts of things associated with clouds?

Troacctid
2015-10-09, 01:46 PM
"God of forgiveness" or "God of redemption" seems like a better title.

Most of the gods you're describing sound like minor deities in a large pantheon, with small, specialized portfolios. As long as you don't expect each of 'em to have a whole religion all to themselves, I think it's fine.

Dr TPK
2015-10-09, 01:46 PM
So... Drizzt, Indiana Jones, Power Girl, Athena, Storm, and Quicksilver?

Pop culture references aside, they seem fairly good additions to the core pantheon. Are you planning on having the cloud deity be of rain, storms, weather, and the other sorts of things associated with clouds?

I was thinking that Ehlonna and Obad-Hai would have the rest of nature, but one deity could just take over the clouds... Still, rain would go well too... Ehlonna and Obad-Hai don't need rain, don't they?

DrMotives
2015-10-09, 01:51 PM
You could include whole other pantheon wholesale as another country's pantheon. Like Forgotten Realms has its own core pantheon (different from the Greyhawk pantheon in the PHB), plus it has the Egyptian pantheon as the Mulhorandi pantheon. Basically they changed the name of the pantheon to the nation in the Realms that follows them, but the gods themselves still have their Egyptian names.

Solaris
2015-10-09, 02:27 PM
I was thinking that Ehlonna and Obad-Hai would have the rest of nature, but one deity could just take over the clouds... Still, rain would go well too... Ehlonna and Obad-Hai don't need rain, don't they?

I'd say that they wouldn't even miss it from their portfolios. Ehlonna has the "Good Fey/Unicorns/Sylvan" schtick, while Obad-Hai has the rest of nature. It might be good to have the Cloud deity be a demigod working under Obad-Hai, but there's enough to the concept of nature that taking away cloud-based weather won't harm him.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-11, 01:35 PM
Might I ask why you are adding in this god? If it is to add in options and you are stumped, why not poll your players? They might have some ideas and might appreciate the chance to add to your gameworld or use a god they've been thinking of.

Dr TPK
2015-10-11, 02:35 PM
Might I ask why you are adding in this god? If it is to add in options and you are stumped, why not poll your players? They might have some ideas and might appreciate the chance to add to your gameworld or use a god they've been thinking of.

Because I want it to be a complete surprise.

LTwerewolf
2015-10-11, 05:12 PM
A god that is worshiped by no one is a rather ineffective god.

The Insanity
2015-10-11, 07:16 PM
Does Greyhawk have a sex god?

AtlasSniperman
2015-10-12, 07:33 AM
I have one god in my setting called(for short ) Ancestor. Its the god of the past, learning, respect and mortality. A true neutral deity that matches your own goals(regardless) because 'he' is the souls of all honoured dead in one big hive mind.

tadkins
2015-10-12, 07:37 AM
The game has a disappointing lack of Cold based gods, imo. The ones that do exist are somewhat inflexible.

I'd add one for scholarly-minded northern folk. Cold/Magic/Knowledge, maybe a couple others.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-12, 07:54 AM
Does Greyhawk have a sex god?

BoED has the deity of love, passion and pleasure; Lastai.

ekarney
2015-10-12, 08:41 AM
Just add more Lolth.

More Lolth always results in interesting scenarios.

Dr TPK
2015-10-13, 03:08 PM
One more idea:
A Chaotic Neutral deity of fumbles and critical successes?
You can have this deity even if you don't have fumble rules. There are rules for natural 1s and natural 20s in the game as it is.