PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help, which class to play next?

ImSAMazing
2015-10-09, 03:47 PM
So I am going to play in an upcoming Out of the Abyss campaign, starting at lvl 2. I have already played the following classes: Barbarian, Wizard,Cleric, Warlock, Sorcerer(not that long so I consider it as an option for my next character), Ranger, Fighter, Paladin and the Rogue. So haven't played the Bard, Druid and Monk. I don't really want to play the classes I already played again, and I want to play something unique AND powerful. Any build suggestions?

PS: Using the following Stat array: 8, 16, 12, 12, 17, 13

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-09, 04:28 PM
It would be more helpful if you tell us what roles you have played, and what you are interested in trying now. If you do that, I would be happy to help with build ideas.

Examples of roles: Skill monkey, DPS, buff, control, tank, social, healer, etc.

bid
2015-10-09, 04:41 PM
Classic 18/18 wood elf monk has 15 hp with Con13. Hill dwarf 16/18 can push to 19 hp if you want something different. Same thing with druid, but I don't like hp sinks.

You know what, maybe Out of the Abyss is the best time to try not a class but a race. Go drow.

ImSAMazing
2015-10-09, 04:46 PM
It would be more helpful if you tell us what roles you have played, and what you are interested in trying now. If you do that, I would be happy to help with build ideas.

Examples of roles: Skill monkey, DPS, buff, control, tank, social, healer, etc.

Allmost every roll except high damager.

JAL_1138
2015-10-09, 04:59 PM

Bard doesn't dtart picking up great damage until 6 (Lore, steal blasty spells) or 10 (Valor, steal Swift Quiver and a blasty spell). Druid can dish out some pain at early levels thanks to Wild Shape options with Multiattack and some decent spells, but is generally more tank/control with really good out-of-combat healing. Monk is never going to be great at damage but is great at shutting down enemy casters, staying mobile, and setting up damage-dealing characters.

I'm surprised you don't consider Sorc, Pally, Warlock, Ranger, Fighter, Barb, and Rogue to be high-damage.

That's like their thing. Sneak Attack, fighting styles / extra attack, Reckless Attack, metamagic'd blasty spells, EB+Agonizing with Hex and short-rest highest-spell-level spells, Divine Smite...

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-09, 06:05 PM

Alright, so something new, and something that can deal burst damage, how about a Vengeance Paladin/Sorcerer?

Race: Half-Elf.

STR:17+1
DEX:12
CON:13+1
INT:8
WIS:12
CHA:16+2

Start as a Paladin, and follow through with it till 5 or 6, then get 8 levels of sorcerer, then Paladin. If you play to 20 (unlikely :p) you'll be 12 Paladin/8 Sorcerer.

You will want the Empowered (use it for smiting/blasting) and Quickened (use it to cast spell and still attack on the same turn.).

You'll be a level 14 caster, with 8 sorcery points, if you need more, sacrifice a 5th level slot for an extra 7.

Fighting strategy would look something like this:

1. Cast a Bonus Action spell, either a smite, or a Quickened blasting spell (Thunderwave/Fireball :D), make sure to Empower it.

2. Move to the enemies.

If your DM is willing, ask them if you can make your elemental affinity divine, if not just stick with fire.

3a. If you are in Melee, use your attacks, use Divine Smite if you need burst damage.

3b. If you are not yet in melee, use dash.

This way you should be able to lay out two attacks (optionally divine smites), and a blasting or smite spell every turn, which is Empowered.

With the Great Weapon Fighting, combined with Empowering spell, you are unlikely to roll low damage.

Depending on your DM, GWF may also let you reroll Divine Smite damage. I personally allow it.

If you would rather be a bit more tanky, go Sword and Board, with the Dueling style.

If you are willing to give up Improved Divine Smite, 1 caster level, and an Ability Stat Increase, you can also take 2 levels of Fighter. Action Surge will increase your Nova Round, but you will burn through spell slots even faster.

bid
2015-10-09, 06:18 PM
Alright, so something new, and something that can deal burst damage, how about a Vengeance Paladin/Sorcerer?
dixit:

I don't really want to play the classes I already played again, and I want to play something unique AND powerful.

Although 12 18 14 8 12 18 would make a great bard. I still suggest a Con13 drow over a Con14 half-elf.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-09, 06:32 PM
dixit:

Although 12 18 14 8 12 18 would make a great bard. I still suggest a Con13 drow over a Con14 half-elf.

They never played a high damage PC, so a burst based Paladin is new, and they said they are open to doing Sorcerer again.

Jeebs
2015-10-09, 06:37 PM
My vote is for a Fighter 1/Valor Bard 19. Wear Heavy Armor and get proficiency in Constitution saving throws by starting as a Fighter.

Take Great Weapon Master if you want. Take Bless or some other spell that boosts the -5/+10 mechanic with Magical Secrets.

bid
2015-10-09, 08:40 PM
They never played a high damage PC, so a burst based Paladin is new, and they said they are open to doing Sorcerer again.
I believe "Almost every role except high damager" means the opposite. It is pretty ambiguous, but with all the martial classes played surely that was covered.

djreynolds
2015-10-10, 03:56 AM
Crazy builds

Elemental monk and tempest cleric. Sounds cool. Could work. And its okay if you try it out first, so if you die I would know it was bad advice. I say 15 cleric and 5 monk. Could be cool?

And Eldritch knight/arcane trickster/ and 2 levels of wizard. And I would actually go strength and intelligence and focus on tanking and traps and investigation and athletics, perception and arcana for expertise. 11-12 EK/ 6-7AT (7 for mirror image)/ and just 2 wizard.

Or just Valor Bard

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-10, 04:13 AM
So I am going to play in an upcoming Out of the Abyss campaign, starting at lvl 2. I have already played the following classes: Barbarian, Wizard,Cleric, Warlock, Sorcerer(not that long so I consider it as an option for my next character), Ranger, Fighter, Paladin and the Rogue. So haven't played the Bard, Druid and Monk. I don't really want to play the classes I already played again, and I want to play something unique AND powerful. Any build suggestions?

PS: Using the following Stat array: 8, 16, 12, 12, 17, 13

Edit: the campaign starts on level one:smallsmile: , there was still confusion about that

ImSAMazing
2015-10-10, 05:44 AM
Edit: the campaign starts on level one:smallsmile: , there was still confusion about that

I am not talking about ur campaign. Dont post if you just want to postfarm..

MOLOKH
2015-10-10, 01:16 PM
If there is no strong preference for any of the three classes, I'd say just pick one at random and stick with it to the end. To make things interesting, you could also try randomly rolling for your race and background, as well as all the traits, flaws, equipment, and enything else you can determine randomly.

JAL_1138
2015-10-10, 01:22 PM
If starting at level 1, Moon Druid. Bards take a long time to really come online.

Inevitability
2015-10-10, 01:52 PM

It's not postfarming if he is genuinely thinking you're talking about his campaign. Don't post if you just want to go around making broad assumptions about people's goals.

djreynolds
2015-10-11, 12:49 AM

How do you leave an idiot in suspense? Well you're doing it to me, and now I'm the idiot.

Lets here you new build. You have good taste and I'm still waiting.

ImSAMazing
2015-10-11, 04:12 AM
How do you leave an idiot in suspense? Well you're doing it to me, and now I'm the idiot.

Lets here you new build. You have good taste and I'm still waiting.

I am guessing a Drow Assassin, hired by himself to gain enough money to buy himself out of the abyss *insert pun sound with the drums*

Kane0
2015-10-11, 05:14 AM
Be a druid, underdark races are more fun. Dont forget to take proficiency in survival, itll be important.

djreynolds
2015-10-11, 06:10 AM
I am guessing a Drow Assassin, hired by himself to gain enough money to buy himself out of the abyss *insert pun sound with the drums*

Well now, that's cool. Very Jarlaxle of you.

JohnStone
2015-10-11, 07:24 AM
What about a "Half-Drow" monk.

maybe you have been kept down and abused your whole life here in the abyss create a "Slave" background maybe. You haven't had a chance to train with any weapons so you practice martial arts and fighting with sticks. still has an assassin feel and mechanically if you do grab assassin you can get 4+ attacks easily in that surprise round.

djreynolds
2015-10-11, 10:09 AM
What about a "Half-Drow" monk.

maybe you have been kept down and abused your whole life here in the abyss create a "Slave" background maybe. You haven't had a chance to train with any weapons so you practice martial arts and fighting with sticks. still has an assassin feel and mechanically if you do grab assassin you can get 4+ attacks easily in that surprise round.

Hello half-drow ninja. Assassin/shadow monk. Problem solved.

Now, real question, my spell book sucks. Is the DM supposed to just give me what I want? Because rolling sucks.

JohnStone
2015-10-11, 11:27 AM
Spell book?

Belac93
2015-10-11, 12:58 PM
I would say monk, if you start the way we did, you will have no equipment at the beginning. Monk could help a lot. Otherwise, druid. Wild shape can be a lifesaver.

Coidzor
2015-10-11, 01:28 PM
Now, real question, my spell book sucks. Is the DM supposed to just give me what I want? Because rolling sucks.

Explicate, please.

JoeJ
2015-10-11, 01:31 PM
Hello half-drow ninja. Assassin/shadow monk. Problem solved.

As an assassin/shadow monk, the only advantage a spell book gives you is if you sell it and use the money to buy something more useful.