PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Homebrew: Megalith

Captain Kablam
2015-10-09, 04:02 PM
Normally I try to steer clear of homebrew, but for lack of an effective monster in existence (at least one that fit the flavor of what I was going for, I decided to make one from scratch. By what I surmise this creature should be around CR:10
If it's more than that, what should I scale back or beef up to get it to a 10? Essentially what I was going for is a deep ocean tank.

Megalith
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/5344/880267-giganto_01.jpg
Size/Type: Gargantuan Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 12d10+108(174hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20ft, Swim: 50ft
Armor Class: 14 (-1 DEX, -4 Size, +9 Natural Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+36
Attack: Slam: +24 (3d6+12)
Full Attack: 2 Slams: +24 (3d6+12), and Bite +19 (4d6+6), or Tail Slap +19 (3d6+6)
Space/Reach: 20ft/20ft
Special Attacks: Water Spout, Sonic Shout, Inhale, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Piercing, Low-Light Vision, Amphibious, Blindesense 50ft
Saves: Fort:+17, Ref:+7, Will:+6
Abilities: Str:35, Dex:8, Con:29, Int:12, Wis:14, Cha:8
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Awesome Blow, Track, Cleave
Environment: Temperate and Cold Aquatic
Organization: Single, Pair (2), Pod (5-12)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Neutral Good
Advancement: 13-20 HD (Gargantuan), 21-30 HD (Colossal)

Description: From out of the blue, you spy a great grey behemoth, distinguishable only from a whale through its arms and legs in lieu of fins, and the intelligence in its eyes.

Megaliths are relatively peaceful sea dwelling creatures, more prone to diplomatic discourse than combat. However their unwillingness to actively seek confrontation is not to be mistaken for lack of ability. These deep water nomads are often on the search for giant squid and other cephalopods to eat, making them natural enemies to krakens. While they can walk upon land, they tend not to often, as their hearts often have to work even harder out of the water, leaving them fatigued after a few hours, and their meat is often harvested as a delicacy and their blubber has a multitude of uses.
While they tend to avoid eating sentient species, there are evil White Megalith who regularly sink ships and feast upon sailors as well as other intelligent sea dwelling species. 1 out of every 10 thousand Megaliths are born with a hornlike tusk, allowing them to make a gore attack and cast spells as a ninth level cleric. This tusk can be harvested to make be used in a ritual that grants a Limited Wish (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/limitedWish.htm)spell, at the cost of the megalith's life.

Megaliths speak Aquan and have been known to speak Common and Dragon.

Combat: Megaliths typically rely upon their size and strength to deal damage. However, they do have alternative means of combat to loose quarry from rocks and even strike at ships from a range.

Water Spout: By inhaling water, a megalith can eject powerful blast of water from it's blowhole in a 60ft line, ejecting those it has swallowed and dealing 4d6+4 bludgeoning damage. Targets can roll a Reflex save of 25 for half damage, however those ejected by the spout cannot make this roll. The save is Constitution based. Without water, this produces an effect similar to a Gust of Wind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gustOfWind.htm) spell, CL 6.
Sonic Shout: Once per day, while underwater, megaliths can emit a destructive sonic cry, dealing 3d4 Sonic damage in a 20ft burst that can even stun others for 1 round. Targets can take half damage on a successful Fortitude save of 15. The save is Charisma based. This cry can be heard across miles of open water to signal others to its plight.
Inhale: As a full round action, a megalith can inhale water in a 30ft cone, targets two size categories smaller or less must make a Swim check of 25 or automatically be Swallowed Whole.
Improved Grab: If a megalith hits with it's bite attack, it can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.
Swallow Whole: A megalith can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage and 2d6+6 points of acid damage per round. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 35 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 12). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A megalith's gullet can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium, 32 Small, or 128 Tiny or smaller creatures.
Blindsense: Using echolocation, a megalith can detect all creatures within 50 feet of it.

BowStreetRunner
2015-10-09, 04:26 PM
Comparing this to a Mosasaur (Stormwrack p.146) which is a similar CR10 creature I would say that the CR of your Megalith may be a little low. The Mosasaur is a bit smaller size-wise (Huge to Gargantuan) and slower on land. It has a higher AC due to smaller size and 1 point less natural armor, and a lower Attack bonus. Its natural attack is weaker and gets fewer natural attacks during a full attack. Space and reach is less. It has three fewer special attacks and its special qualities are slightly inferior. Its REF save is lower. All things considered if the Mosasaur is CR 10 then I would have to put your Megalith a bit higher, I'm just not sure how much.

Oh, and when I think of a Megalith I immediately think of the giant rocks at Stonehenge.