PDA

View Full Version : Thri-Kreen

Zero_Knight
2015-10-09, 04:28 PM
Okay playgrounders,

I have a simple enough question that just needs some mathematical checking. I have a 5thing level Thri-Kreen Ranger in my group that is fighting with a Gythka and 2 kukri. Street and Dex of 16. Feats are basic; multiweapon fighting, multiattack, and multidexterity.

Now the hard part is how many attacks? He has been using a full attack option of...
Gythka X2 +10/+5,
Short Sword X2 +9/+4,
Bite +9

I have a feeling that his offhand attacks are a bit high. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks.

Necroticplague
2015-10-09, 04:31 PM
What's his BaB? That's a pretty important peice of information you're missing. is 5 the ECL, or the amount of Ranger levels?

Greenish
2015-10-09, 06:32 PM
I'm not that familiar with 3.0 (which I assume you're using because of "Multidexterity"), but best I can tell, he should have the full allotment of mainhand attacks from his BAB, and one offhand attack per offhand, plus the bite.

So, assuming 7 BAB (2 from RHD, 5 from Ranger) and 16 Str, his full attack should look something like this:
+8/+3 mainhand gythka
+8 offhand gythka
+8 offhand short sword
+8 offhand short sword
+8 bite (as secondary natural weapon)

Necroticplague
2015-10-09, 06:57 PM
I'm not that familiar with 3.0 (which I assume you're using because of "Multidexterity"), but best I can tell, he should have the full allotment of mainhand attacks from his BAB, and one offhand attack per offhand, plus the bite.

So, assuming 7 BAB (2 from RHD, 5 from Ranger) and 16 Str, his full attack should look something like this:
+8/+3 mainhand gythka
+8 offhand gythka
+8 offhand short sword
+8 offhand short sword
+6 bite (as secondary natural weapon)
Except for the fact that the penalties for MWF and those for secondary natural weapon don't stack, so the bite's to-hit would be +8 as well (since he has Multiattack).

Though, looking at the text, I'm not actually sure WTF multidexterity actually does that MWF doesn't also do.

Greenish
2015-10-09, 07:02 PM
Except for the fact that the penalties for MWF and those for secondary natural weapon don't stack, so the bite's to-hit would be +8 as well (since he has Multiattack).Right, my bad. Though it might be more accurate to say that TWF/MWF penalties don't apply to natural attacks.

Though, looking at the text, I'm not actually sure WTF multidexterity actually does that MWF doesn't also do.Multidexterity is the multi-armed version of Ambidexterity. Both feats were rolled into their respective XTF feats in 3.5.

Necroticplague
2015-10-09, 07:13 PM
Multidexterity is the multi-armed version of Ambidexterity. Both feats were rolled into their respective XTF feats in 3.5.

Ah, that's the confusion. When I run Google searches, I get the 3.5 version of TWF/MWF, but can still find Multidexterity. Thus, I look at them confused and say "Doesn't TWF/MWF do this already? Is there some off-hand penalty above the one for TWF/MWF I'm not aware about?"

Zero_Knight
2015-10-09, 10:24 PM
His BAB I believe is +6/+1. 4 levels of Ranger and 2 Racial HD from Complete Psionics.

Multidexterity is in MM2 or 3 and just says offhand attacks have no penalties. This is the part that really gets me for it all. That would imply he swings better with his off hand(s) then his primary.

Necroticplague
2015-10-09, 10:39 PM
His BAB I believe is +6/+1. 4 levels of Ranger and 2 Racial HD from Complete Psionics.

Multidexterity is in MM2 or 3 and just says offhand attacks have no penalties. This is the part that really gets me for it all. That would imply he swings better with his off hand(s) then his primary.

Not quiet. It says "The creature ignores all penalties for using an off hand." That means that it only ignores penalties due to it being an off hand. Essentially, all their attacks would be main hand, as far as I can figure out. So they'd still take the penalty, they'd just use the main hand penalty (which, since MWF reduces to -2 for both, is irrelevant.

Greenish
2015-10-10, 03:47 AM
Multidexterity is in MM2 or 3 and just says offhand attacks have no penalties. This is the part that really gets me for it all. That would imply he swings better with his off hand(s) then his primary.MM2 is a 3.0 book, and two-/multi-weapon fighting worked slightly differently in 3.0 than it does in 3.5. As has been said, the benefits of Ambidexterity (and its monstrous counterpart Multidexterity) are already part of the 3.5 TWF (or MWF) feat.