PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Aasimiefling Turducken

Genth
2015-10-09, 09:04 PM
Howdy Playground.

In my new campaign, following a band of Good adventurers against the Demonic hordes of the Worldwound, one of my players characters has an interesting concept. They've taken the 'Stolen Fury' trait, which means that, as a child, they were exposed to a horrific demonic ritual which they only barely escaped, though the energy of the ritual remained. In addition, many of their family have been Aasimar - so the Celestial Blood is there. When this child grew up, they had glowing eyes.. sometimes blue, sometimes violet, and sometimes red. In effect, their adoptive parent is unsure if this Woman is an Aasimar, or a Tiefling... or one inside the other. There have been.. incidents in the past, and in order to help the child control whatever it is that lives inside them, they have been trained as a Paladin - to keep to their code is to keep that Abyssal touch chained. But what if it got free...?

So what I'm trying to figure out is how we could run with this mechanically. I'm loath to do anything that will rear it's head too often, since if the character loses control and the Abyssal energy causes others to come to harm.. they'll probably fall, and it would be pretty unfair to make that happen solely on the whim of a Will Save. At the same time, I would like this to be a presence in the campaign - to be part of the reason this Paladin HAS their code, and a bigger reason to stay true to it. Finally, this player is new to Paladins, and I'd like to have some way of helping them to roleplay their character.

Any thoughts on how this could work?

The Glyphstone
2015-10-09, 09:24 PM
Does it need to have any mechanical effect at all, besides what Stolen Fury already grants? Especially if this is a new player, you can just confine any 'side effects' of the ritual to roleplay. Could make for some very intense roleplay, but you don't need to make up weird houserules just for a neat story.

(Un)Inspired
2015-10-09, 11:48 PM
Celestial bloodline sorcerer tiefling of fiendish bloodline sorcerer aasimar. Or crossblooded both.

Literally have all their magical wires crossed between heaven and hell.

Oh oh, or if the don't want to fully commit to sorcerer have them take one of the races and VMC sorcerer for the opposing bloodline.

Geddy2112
2015-10-09, 11:51 PM
I second that it does not need mechanics, and that if you do a VMC sorcerer is the way to go. Just make it an interesting story and plot element.

Spore
2015-10-11, 02:28 AM
Having a class portray a heritage is not quite what I have in mind when someone says "Nephalem". If you go into Blizzard's Diablo lore, the humans are the descendants of the children of Inarius and Lilith, an angel and a demon who grew tired from this world's eternal conflict between good and evil. They were super humans at first.

While crunch is not needed to support the fluff I tend to like a bit of crunch reflecting the fluff. The Half-Fiend template is too much in my honest opinion but Fiendish template is fine: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/fiendish

You can savely ignore the CR until 10th level as a DM (because Darkvision and Cold resistance is useless for him as Aasimar). That's when I would incur a CR+1 when he hits 11+ hit dice. Two interesting situations might occur:

1) He cannot be healed because the spell resistance is not lowered thus increasing drama.
2) Smite Good might not be something he actively likes to do.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-11, 01:20 PM
As a question, what was the player's intention for the abyssal energy? Starting there might work.

Spore
2015-10-13, 04:12 AM
As a question, what was the player's intention for the abyssal energy? Starting there might work.

Maybe I am jaded by decades of cheap character backgrounds (some of them even constructed by my own hand) but this feels like the most specialest snowflake of snowflakes backgrounds. I am not only an outsider but an evil-good outsider. There was a whole industry out there based on such cheap main characters, it's called B movies. But they are fun nontheless.