PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal Creatures and Magic Items

hongrybuffalo
2015-10-10, 01:22 PM
So basically, I got a ghost Dread Necromancer that I want to be able to cast Major Image. The issue with this is that illusion spells aren't on their spell list and I'm running into some ambiguity when it comes to Incorporeal creatures using magic items. I know there are feats/weapon enhancements that allow a ghost don gear, but what about wands and scrolls? I think I may have read somewhere that if the ghost died with magic items on their possession they still retain them, unless their someone steal them from their body. Also, does being incorporeal have limitations on the Mother Cyst (Libris Mortis p.28). Thanks for the clarification.

Bronk
2015-10-10, 01:30 PM
Ghosts are incorporeal on the Prime Material Plane, but solid on the Ethereal Plane.

You should be good to go equipment-wise if you bring everything the the Ethereal first, then put it on.

Necroticplague
2015-10-10, 01:35 PM
On the subject of a ghost's equipment:

When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature’s possession). The equipment works normally on the Ethereal Plane but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon (just as magic weapons can fail to harm the ghost).

The original material items remain behind, just as the ghost’s physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the ethereal copy fades away. This loss invariably angers the ghost, who stops at nothing to return the item to its original resting place.

The only limitation on Mother Cyst would be that you have a hard time actually touching someone, since you lack the physical substance to do so.

Rubik
2015-10-10, 02:07 PM
Ghosts are incorporeal on the Prime Material Plane, but solid on the Ethereal Plane.

You should be good to go equipment-wise if you bring everything the the Ethereal first, then put it on.There's also the Ghostly Grasp feat, from Libris Mortis, which allows you to physically interact with the Material Plane when you want to do so. You could also add the ghost touch property to non-weapon magic items, which is on page 42 of Savage Species, and costs +10% of the original item's price.

Bronk
2015-10-10, 02:19 PM
There are also a lot of other feats and rules for this kind of thing in Ghostwalk.

Crake
2015-10-10, 04:10 PM
You could also add the ghost touch property to non-weapon magic items, which is on page 42 of Savage Species, and costs +10% of the original item's price.

Oh good, a rules source for this kind of effect. I'd been homebrewing this kind of thing for a while now, not realising there were already rules for it, but now I feel better about doing so haha.

Rubik
2015-10-10, 04:18 PM
Oh good, a rules source for this kind of effect. I'd been homebrewing this kind of thing for a while now, not realising there were already rules for it, but now I feel better about doing so haha.There's also serren wood, which is a special material in Eberron that acts as ghost touch as far as affecting ghosts goes, but it does not pass through corporeal things like ghost touch does. Also, riverine and ghostwall shellac.

DrMotives
2015-10-10, 04:32 PM
And as far as adding illusions to you dread necro, there's an alternative class feature for warmages that lets them use advanced learning to pick a new spell from the sorc/wiz list "out of school" but they're limited to picking a spell 1 level lower than a normal choice for advanced learning. It makes sense to allow that ACF to dread necros & beguilers as well.

Crake
2015-10-10, 05:13 PM
There's also serren wood, which is a special material in Eberron that acts as ghost touch as far as affecting ghosts goes, but it does not pass through corporeal things like ghost touch does. Also, riverine and ghostwall shellac.

It wasn't specifically for a ghost, but for a joystealer, so if serren wood only applies to ghosts, or incorporeal undead, then it wouldn't have really worked.