PDA

View Full Version : A question for CoH players/ Comic readers...

Cade
2007-05-21, 11:21 PM
My question will come after an explanation...

So, I play CoH, or City of [Super]Heroes (Avidly), and just earlier today came up with an idea for a supergroup to create. For those who don't play CoH, a supergroup is what it sounds like: A permenant grouping of heroes who share a theme, much like the Avengers, X-men, Justice League, etc. My super-group will hopefully combine lore from the "Paragon" Universe in which City Of Heroes is set and themes that can make the group strong.

My question is: What do you all think? Good, passable, crap? Suggestions?

The idea is: Back during the '90s, when commercial hero groups were everywhere, the man who would later be called the Decrepit Corrosion was just beginning his adult life. He is a mutant with what was a low grade power, an affinity for radiation. To make ends meet, he decided to use his powers the most profitable way possible and joined the 'super-merc' team the Unmentionables. Taking any job that paid well, they would have been fairly infamous had they not remained almost invisible to the public eye. They operated at enourmous profit margins until the day the Rikti came. Again for those unfamiliar, the Rikti are the "extra-dimensional aliens" of the Paragon Universe, and a lrage component of the game. During the Rikti war, the Unmentionables were decimated, as were most super-heroes. In fact, as far as Decrepit knows, he's the only one that survived, and by sheer luck at that.

A bit about Decrepit Corrosion. He has had an escalation of his powers recently unlocked within him for unknown reasons he still looks to discover in his spare time. However, the stronger his powers become, the closer the radiation inside him comes to destroying his body and killing him. Unable to stop it, he has reconciled with the likeliehood of an imminent death and turned himself around, working as a Super-Hero in Paragon City.

Morally, this has worked wonders for him and it has been the first time he has been truly happy. Wanting to spread redemption, he has recently registered his Super-group, the Unmentionables II, with the Paragon City Police. Accepting anyone running from their past, Decrepit seeks to Redeem these infamous men and woman into one of Paragon Citys greatest.

So... Critique? (Note: I haven't made it yet and won't, as I am going to be very distracted from CoH by the Ultimate Spider-man video game I finally found and ordered last week. So the group won't be formed until I beat that game...)

Thinweazel
2007-05-22, 08:13 AM
I have played CoH/CoV since beta and have greatly enjoyed the game. However there isnt much of a fan base for roleplaying which sounds like what you are looking for.

I do think that the background and the premise of your SG is good, well thought out and has a strong base in the lore of the game.

What server are you on btw?

Cade
2007-05-22, 08:40 AM
I play on freedom with this character, but I'm on most servers. I have noticed a lack of RPing in general, but I won't require it for the group. It's just going to be an option, unless I get a lot of joins from RPers.

sun_tzu
2007-05-22, 08:43 AM
Honestly, it looks good to me.

LordLocke
2007-05-30, 08:01 AM
Look for some like-minded fellows on Virtue server- it's pretty much the unofficial RP server, and you'll find more then a few groups looking to tie themselves tighter to the lore of the City of X games. Some, like my old Supergroup the Paragons, even were given the ok to use some of the minor characters from the lore by the writers of the comics and novels. (If there's one area where City trumps most other MMOs, it's the connection between it's creators/preservers and it's fanbase)

My main suggestion would be to broaden the appeal of the super group- it sounds like it's walking the fine line between being a group that the creator's story line ties into and being a super group based around it's creator's story. At least, if you plan on it ever becoming more then a small gathering of friends. Twist the story around (and possibly change the name) and put a little more emphasis on the common strand that ties the group together (Redemption for past sins). Work with other founding members to fit them into the group's origin as well- after all, no super team ever had just one man.

I'd help you out, but I'm on hiatus for a bit since... well, I got hooked on Phantasy Star Universe, I can't afford two MMOs, and my main group started splintering off in CoX. When will I be back? Well, I said Issue 9, but with that out now... who knows?

Neo Decoy's sitting at 43, ready to finish the final big push...

Cade
2007-05-30, 05:35 PM
Virtue is the RP server? :smallannoyed:

Great advice, but too late. The Group already exists, but on Champion. My final decision was to make it an ordinary Group until it becomes much bigger, and then use size/famosity to attract RPers. If that fails I'll have to try again on Virtue, I guess.

Thanks!