View Full Version : Speculation Fighter with 1 lvl Warlock dip

Edgerunner
2015-10-10, 02:43 PM
I will be playing a new campaign on Roll20 and am thinking of running a Fighter and not sure where to go with it.... BM, Champion or EK.

I am also looking at least a 1lvl dip into Warlock just for fun.

What would be a good plan if I go ahead with this idea?
Not looking at lvl 20 builds just something fun to play between 4 to 12

CoggieRagabash
2015-10-10, 02:54 PM
I will be playing a new campaign on Roll20 and am thinking of running a Fighter and not sure where to go with it.... BM, Champion or EK.

I am also looking at a 1lvl dip into Sorcery just for fun.

What are you hoping to get out of sorcerer to have fun with? Do you want a few cantrips to do useful things with outside of combat, or are you hoping to be using magic in a fight?

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-10, 02:56 PM

I am also looking at a 1lvl dip into Sorcery just for fun.

Well, if you want to have a high charisma so that the sorcerer spells aren't a waste you might consider Battlemaster and picking up rally to give the party a lot of temporary hit points around short rests.

Edgerunner
2015-10-10, 03:01 PM
I am very sorry All.... I meant Warlock

Not sure what I am looking for out of the Magic use... just something Interesting to play.

napoleon_in_rag
2015-10-10, 03:41 PM

Going EK lessens the pro's of dipping warlock. Unless you are doing it for flavor mainly.

Coidzor
2015-10-10, 04:03 PM
Devil's Sight is great on a melee type if you have a source of Darkness and a way to draw enemies to you or keep them around you.

Or I guess if the Darkness is mobile with you.

Devil's Vigor is also supposed to be fairly decent for giving a buffer of temp HP, IIRC.

Sigreid
2015-10-10, 04:04 PM
EK and Warlock can combine pretty nicely. With Fighter 8/warlock 12 you can have full armor and weapon proficiency, a solid array of spells, 2 attacks without using an invocation, add strength or dex and charisma to weapon damage, have all the cool EB invocations, and through Eldrich Knight be able to use a full power EB+Cha and a weapon strike +cha+damage mod each round. It's pretty sweet.

Edgerunner
2015-10-10, 04:06 PM
After doing some looking I keep coming across "Hexblades".

Anybody got a link for a good rundown of the build for 5e or advice?

Tanarii
2015-10-10, 04:46 PM
After doing some looking I keep coming across "Hexblades".

Anybody got a link for a good rundown of the build for 5e or advice?
To get the 'thing' of a hexblade you need lvl 3 warlock for Pact of the Balde. IMO if you're doing that, you're completely wasting time taking any fighter levels. It's better to just be a straight fighter or straight warlock.. The primary benefit of a Pact Balde is being proficient in it, and getting extra attacks, both of which overlap with what a Fighter already gets.

But as far as generally multi classing warlock, my advice is:

1) First decide if you want only utility cantrips/spells + pact feature, or want attack spells. The first means cha 13, and combines with any standard fighter build. The latter means you're effectively (Str or Dex)/cha instead of (Str or Dex)/con as a champion/BM, and means you can't be a (Str or Dex)/int EK. In the latter case it'll mean you're giving up EK attack spells for warlock attack spells.

2) strongly consider if you want to go 2 warlock levels for 2 spells per SR instead of one, and for 2 eldritch invocations. Third level isnt worth it though ... You don't need pact of the Blade, Pact of the Chain is a trap, and Pact of the tome is a straight caster choice.

MaxWilson
2015-10-10, 05:28 PM

One level of Warlock is probably less good than two. Two will give you a ranged option in Agonizing Eldritch Blast and one other invocation to play with--there are lots of good ones--plus if you sell your soul you'll get temp HP every time you score a kill.

But in this case, you actually have decent armor and offense, so you need to think about what it is that you're getting out of your Fighter levels. You could go for extreme DPR, in which case you probably want a GWM Battlemaster with Precise Strike/Trip/etc. who can nova for more damage early on than Eldritch Blast could ever dream of. That would be a valid reason to go Fighter. You could be going for fighter purely because you like the flavor of relying mostly on weapon attacks, and that is valid too. But whatever you do, you should contrast it with the alternative of going for 1-3 levels in Fighter (Fighter 1 gets you Con saves and Armor for defense; Fighter 2 gets you action surge for nova; Battlemaster 3 gets you superiority dice for more nova while Eldritch Knight gets you Shield for more defense) and the rest in Bladelock or Tomelock. You'll never get the third weapon attack that a fighter will, nor as many feats, but you'll get loads of spellcasting per day, so if you just want to be the Darth Vader guy who freely nukes everything with Fireballs and Eldritch Blasts and Walls of Fire while sucking down temp HP via Fiendlock on every kill (thanks, Fire Shield!), Fighter 1/Warlock 11 has plenty of that.

Argh, now after writing that paragraph I want to run a Heavy Armor Master Spell Sniper Fighter/Tomelock who pre-buffs with Fire Shield and then wades into a horde of orcs with Thunderclap (or Shillelagh and Greenflame Blade) and resistance to slashing damage (Fiendish Resilience), just to see how many orcs I can kill before dying. (Key variable: how long does it take the orcs to start chucking javelins? Can I find cover and start hitting them back with Eldritch Blast?)

Edgerunner
2015-10-10, 05:46 PM
But whatever you do, you should contrast it with the alternative of going for 1-3 levels in Fighter (Fighter 1 gets you Con saves and Armor for defense; Fighter 2 gets you action surge for nova; Battlemaster 3 gets you superiority dice for more nova while Eldritch Knight gets you Shield for more defense) and the rest in Bladelock or Tomelock. You'll never get the third weapon attack that a fighter will, nor as many feats, but you'll get loads of spellcasting per day, so if you just want to be the Darth Vader guy who freely nukes everything with Fireballs and Eldritch Blasts and Walls of Fire while sucking down temp HP via Fiendlock on every kill (thanks, Fire Shield!), Fighter 1/Warlock 11 has plenty of that.

THIS is Interesting.

Never played any kind of spellcater in 5e, it's why I was interested in the Warlock dip.

Can I go either BM or EK lvl3 and the rest in Warlock and still be a front-line fighter?

Can this be effective with Archfey and Bladelock?

MaxWilson
2015-10-10, 06:17 PM
THIS is Interesting.

Never played any kind of spellcater in 5e, it's why I was interested in the Warlock dip.

Can I go either BM or EK lvl3 and the rest in Warlock and still be a front-line fighter?

Yes, you can. Fighter 1 gets you most of the defensive capabilities you need (I like Defense style) including Con saves and heavy armor. Further fighter levels would strengthen you offensive capabilities, but it's not the only way to do offense. You could use your Warlock slots on Vampiric Touch; you could throw Fireballs; you could rely on Eldritch Blast (Crossbow Expert optional); you could be a Bladelock and use your pact weapon; you could rely on melee cantrips like Chill Touch, Thunderclap, and Greenflame Blade. The one thing you can't really do very effectively as a Bladelock is grapple/push like a fighter, since Thirsting Blade doesn't give you true Extra Attacks, only weapon attacks.

The one suggestion I would make is that you should also consider Fighter 1/Necromancer 2/Warlock X for Grim Harvest. Since you're going to be killing things a lot anyway, you might as well get extra (genuine, non-temp HP) healing out of it anyway. That would also get you Shield/Absorb Elements for defense, and a familiar for advantage (even if you go Bladelock), and some nifty extra cantrips like Mage Hand and Prestidigitation, and four level 1 spell slots that you can use for Shield/Expeditious Retreat/Hex as needed without interfering with great your big warlock spell slots.

Can this be effective with Archfey and Bladelock?

Archfey I'm not sure about, since so much of what I wrote above is Fiendlock-centric. I think you could probably get away with Fighter 1/Feylock X, since you do still have things like Armor of Agathys to lean on, but you wouldn't be as tanky as someone who sold his soul for combat power. That's completely fine and I definitely think you could still have a good time, so go for it if that's what appeals to you--but in that case I would definitely want to think through my combat strategies including how I am going to spend my concentration. Feylock has some cool non-combat options like Seeming, Phantasmal Force and Calm Emotions, so if you can come up with a good combat strategy (e.g. Mobile feat seems like a fairly obvious option that would appeal to any Sidhe; perhaps Greater Invisibility + Mobile melee attacks is what you'll aim for) you'll be all set.

Generally, when someone in 5E asks, "Can X be effective," the answer is "Yes. How effective do you want it to be?"

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-10, 06:20 PM
I am very sorry All.... I meant Warlock

Not sure what I am looking for out of the Magic use... just something Interesting to play.

Eh same answer then, charisma spellcasting remains

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-10, 06:34 PM

1 level of Warlock is nothing to write home about, if you want good benefits from it, go for 2-3 levels.

17 Eldritch Knight/3 Warlock would be pretty strong.

Alternatively, 12 Paladin/8 Warlock would have better synergy, and your Warlock spell slots coming back every short rest will help you keep dishing out smites.

MrStabby
2015-10-10, 06:54 PM
I would suggest paladin over fighter in this case.

Smite is always a solid use for short rest spell slots, a bit of extra use for you slots as you can know paladin spells. CHA plays into both classes.

You will miss action surge (but hey, you can pick it up after 11 levels of paladin).

Maybe 5 paladin, 1 warlock, another 6 paladin then if you are still going some fighter again could be good.

Alternatively EK may get you some good low level spells - shield, blur, mirror image (or at least one of these) and warlock can boost your spell slots. If as suggested you finish level 12 an EK+lvl1 warlock would still be pretty solid with 3 attacks +bonus attack*hex and could use regular shield spells or mirror image for defence (as mirror image doesn't use concentration).

Tanarii
2015-10-10, 07:22 PM
alternatively, 12 Paladin/8 Warlock would have better synergy, and your Warlock spell slots coming back every short rest will help you keep dishing out smites.Divine Smite requires Paladin spell slots. I was just making a Paladin/warlock build today and I noticed this.

MrStabby
2015-10-10, 07:36 PM
Divine Smite requires Paladin spell slots. I was just making a Paladin/warlock build today and I noticed this.

Not any more. This has been clarified away.

Tanarii
2015-10-10, 07:37 PM
Not any more. This has been clarified away.

Ah. I'll have to check the errata.

bid
2015-10-10, 07:39 PM
Divine Smite requires Paladin spell slots. I was just making a Paladin/warlock build today and I noticed this.
Dixit errata: "You can expend any spell slot, not just a paladin spell slot."

MaxWilson
2015-10-10, 07:43 PM
The main thing you miss with Paladin 2 over Fighter 1 is Con save proficiency. Can be very helpful for a front-line warrior.

There are other ways to get it (Variant Human: Resilient (Con)) but there's always an opportunity cost.

Corran
2015-10-10, 07:44 PM
I think you are mistaken. Have a look at the multiclassing section of the PHB, at the description of the pact magic. The idea behind combining pact magic with spellcasting, is, imo, that you can use spell slots gain from either one of these features to cast spells you gain from the other. So I guess the intent is to work for smites as well, as they use spell slots. Sticking too much to the warding, I guess one can interpret it the way you did, as the multiclass section allows for spells to be cast in whichever slot (either from pact magic or spellcasting), and divine smite may not be a spell techically, despite using spell slots. Whichever the case may be, I dare to assume that the intent was for smites to be allowed to burn slots from pact magic (ie warlock slots). But yes, maybe there is some ambiguity in that warding.

edit: oh, so many answers came in so fast. Good to see this was clarified.

Tanarii
2015-10-10, 07:48 PM
I think you are mistaken. Have a look at the multiclassing section of the PHB, at the description of the pact magic.

edit: oh, so many answers came so fast. Good to see this was clarified.
I understand how multi classing spell slots work. I was basing my response in the language of Divine Smite, which specifically says you 'can expend one paladin spell slot'. Which would be a limitation due to that specific class feature. I didn't realize it had been changed by errata.

MeeposFire
2015-10-10, 10:55 PM
I like fighter with warlock and finishing with rogue. Fighter with EK allows you to use a cantrip and follow it with a weapon attack. Rogue allows you to boost the damage of your weapon attack.

Now it is less needed since you can use green flame blade which means you no longer have to go warlock but if you want to do it at range then you need warlock still.

Corran
2015-10-10, 11:01 PM
now it is less needed since you can use green flame blade which means.....
green flame!!!!

Kane0
2015-10-10, 11:06 PM
Mayhap this would be of interest? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444584-Build-Spotlight-Eldritch-Archer)

Edit: Scratch that, the build doesnt really get started until level 11, so it wouldn't be of any use to you. I second the Paladin with 2-3 Warlock dip (bonus points for fey on both classes!).

djreynolds
2015-10-11, 05:53 AM
Valor Bard will give you all of this, and full caster. And will be a much more potent with a warlock dip. Heck Lore Bard, warlock dip, and 6 levels of paladin is nice. And does not come off as cheap.

Paladin of any oath, lore bard you like to know what oath is really all about, potent grappler with expertise and awesome for shield master, and now your warlock dip gives eldritch blast for a potent ranged alternative and plenty of skills.

Try it out. Real over all value.

Also in the guides is the death dealer's handbook with a rogue/fighter/warlock build right there.

Tanarii
2015-10-11, 10:52 AM
Valor Bard will give you all of this, and full caster. Valor Bard doesn't get HA proficiency, and thus requires a 14 Dex with Medium Armor. Which typically means you are only 12 Con, so HPS are low. They are fairly MAD.

And if you are doing a Dex Valor Bard ... Why? You might as well just be a Lore Bard, you're throwing away the benefit of being a Valor Bard (Martial Weaps and Medium Armor).

MaxWilson
2015-10-11, 05:48 PM
green flame!!!!

I don't really get the extreme love for Green Flame Blade. Against one opponent, it's worse than Agonizing Eldritch Blast by a lot. Against two opponents, it's still worse but at least you don't take disadvantage and don't have to invest in Crossbow Expert. Against three or more opponents, it's worse than Thunderclap.

It's not bad by any means, it's just overhyped.

Corran
2015-10-11, 06:25 PM
I don't really get the extreme love for Green Flame Blade. Against one opponent, it's worse than Agonizing Eldritch Blast by a lot. Against two opponents, it's still worse but at least you don't take disadvantage and don't have to invest in Crossbow Expert. Against three or more opponents, it's worse than Thunderclap.

https://youtu.be/S8Ra1ecLhtI?t=944

MeeposFire
2015-10-11, 06:29 PM

It has its uses though I agree it is not THAT good. My thought was using it with sneak attack with fighter levels. This gives you two attacks per round and you get sneak attack on either hit. EB does not give you a second chance at SA damage so it does have a use.

MaxWilson
2015-10-11, 07:33 PM
https://youtu.be/S8Ra1ecLhtI?t=944

Haha. Oh, okay. Thanks for explaining. :)