PDA

View Full Version : Survivor campaign beginning

Aleolus
2015-10-10, 05:39 PM
Hello all. Some time back I posted a thread requesting assistance with a survival based campaign I am working on. Here is what I have so far, submitted for your critique, suggestions and approvals. I was planning on starting at level 3, though that can be adjusted.

The party wakes up lying on sand, the smell of salt and the sounds of the ocean all around them. They possess no weapons, armour, or any other gear. Sitting up, they will see an expanse of ocean before them, lush foliage behind, and soft sand as far as they can see too either side. About forty feet to one side is a raft wrapped in canvas, bound up with twine. Examining under the canvas the party will find a rolled up piece of parchment, on top of a number of supplies. The parchment explains why the party is there and what is expected of them, as well as what they can expect in the form of assistance. On the raft, below the parchment, are the following supplies:
One shortbow with a full quiver
Two shortspears
One longspear
One axe (treat as a Battleaxe for combat)
Three different types of knives (Identifiable with a DC 5 Survival check as a hunting knife, a fishing knife, and a carving knife)
Flint and steel
200 feet of hemp rope
One waterskin for each party member

The first challenge the party is given will involve the party setting themselves up to survive long term on the island, by making or finding food, water, shelter and fire for themselves. A supply of drinkable water can be found with a DC 15 Survival check, or can be provided if one of the characters is a Cleric or Druid. Food can be found through foraging (DC 17), hunting (DC 13), or fishing (DC 15). Shelter can be made by using the canvas and twine to make tents (DC 10) or by making a DC 15 Search check to find a cave. Any cave found has a 65% chance to have a randomly rolled occupant already, which the party can either avoid or deal with as they see fit. Fire can be built with a DC 10 Survival check and lit with the flint and steel. The party has to find water, shelter, and fire once, and food three times for the challenge to be considered completed. The morning after it is completed they will find a bottle with another rolled up piece of parchment in it near their campsite. The parchment has a map of the island drawn on it, with a handful of points marked on it, including a section marked as the territory of a goblin tribe, an ancient abandoned temple and an old iron mine. The party then has two weeks in game to do as they desire. If survival checks are still rolled, DCs reduce each day that passes.

The second challenge arrives in the same manner as the map, showing up in a bottle near the party's campsite, regardless of where they may have moved to. This note will inform them of an old shipwreck off the coast due west of the temple marked on their map. In this wreck will be numerous items they may find a use for, but the captains sword in particular, described as a magic sword of peculiar make. It also warns of serpents and sea creatures that have made the wreckage home.
Reaching the wreck can be done in several different ways, requiring random encounter rolls each day, depending on which route is taken (The safest route is following the coastline).
Once the party arrives at the location needed, the group sees that the wreck is a former merchant ship, ran up on a reef a couple hundred feet off shore. It looks like it probably wrecked some decades ago. It can be reached by swimming (no check needed, but a chance of a random encounter, warm aquatic setting), or by making a DC 10 Survival check to make a crude raft and paddles to paddle out to it.
On the ships deck are ten humanoid skeletons, picked clean, some of which have bones missing or their skulls cracked open. Scattered on the deck are numerous daggers and cutlasses that are rusted to the point of uselessness, and 1d6x10 copper pieces, plus 1d10 silver pieces. With a DC 13 Seach check an additional 75 feet of usable rope can be recovered as well, by making use of one of the knives or the axe, but the canvas is too decayed to be made use of. The door descending into the hold is stuck shut, requiring a DC 13 Strength check to open. When the group reaches the hold, they will be in about two and a half feet of water (movement speed halved for Medium creatures, Small creatures need to swim, the passage is too small for a Large creature). Looking around the room shows six crates present. Three floating freely, and three sitting firmly on the floor. A DC 21 Spot check will reveal the presence of four small vipers (MM pg. 280) in the room with them. If they are not seen then they attempt to move close enough to bite and engage combat, with the party getting a new check each round at a DC 16.
The crates each carry a different type of supplies. One of the floating crates has the remenants of foodstuffs in it, most of which is inedible and useless, though there are a couple days of preserved materials that can still be eaten. The other two floating crates have textiles in them, one cotton, the other appears to be silks which have been ruined by the seawater.
Of the two sunken crates, one registers four magical auras within it, one faint abjuration, two faint transmutation, and one faint divination. Opening that crate it is seen to have all forms of jewelery in it, and the magic auras are found to be eminating from two rings and two amulets. Once the party can identify them, they are found to be a Ring of Protection +1, an Amulet of Natural Armor +1, a Ring of Water Breathing and an Amulet of Comprehend Languages.
One of the crates on the bottom has numerous blades of various sizes within it, ranging from daggers to one Bastard sword. Most of the blades have been severely damaged by the sea water, but two daggers, three shortswords, two longswords and the one bastard sword are still usable. The last crate sunk on the bottom is filled with straw, and a bit of digging reveals bottles of spirits. There are 30 bottles in the crate, 10 of which are not drinkable anymore owing to their seals being broken or cracks in the glass letting seawater in.
On the far side of the room is a wooden door, which is swollen shut from its exposure to the seawater, and can only be opened by breaking the door itself open. On the far side of the door is a Sea Cat (MM pg 220), which has made its lair in the Captain's quarters. Defeating the creature allows the party to search the quarters, finding a few bones, a waterlogged, illegible journal and a few other odds and ends. A DC 15 Search check will allow the group to find the sword under the water in one corner of the room. The scabbard is crusted over with corals and barnacles, and the sword requires a DC 10 Strength check to pull from it, but once it is drawn it shines like new with a silvery blue sheen. This sword is a +1 Damascas (+5 Hardness, +10 Hit Points, +2 Damage rolls) Cutlass (use longsword stats).

FocusWolf413
2015-10-10, 07:29 PM
It looks pretty good. Make sure you add in "traps." The ship would be pretty rotten, and the planks could break under their weight.

Aleolus
2015-10-12, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that, I'll put a few in. Also, the next area I'm having the notes send them to is the temple, which I am wanting to be mostly trap/puzzles, including one room which you have to solve four separate puzzles to get the four keystones needed to unlock the door. The problem is, I'm not very good at creating puzzles, and one of my players is very good at solving them. I'm wanting them to be riddle based, does anyone have some suggestions?

BowStreetRunner
2015-10-12, 11:23 AM
Thanks for that, I'll put a few in. Also, the next area I'm having the notes send them to is the temple, which I am wanting to be mostly trap/puzzles, including one room which you have to solve four separate puzzles to get the four keystones needed to unlock the door. The problem is, I'm not very good at creating puzzles, and one of my players is very good at solving them. I'm wanting them to be riddle based, does anyone have some suggestions?

An often overlooked tool for DMs when constructing riddles is the use of translations, assuming more than one language is spoken by members of the party. Here's how you do it:

Write out your riddle just as you normally would. Pick a language other than common that a couple members of the party speak. The original riddle is assumed to have been crafted in that language.
Next, pick out three key words in the riddle and change them. Two of the words you replace with completely different words - in the original language these words are actually homonyms, but the translation used the wrong meaning of the word. (For instance if an English riddle mentioned money in the 'bank' it might get translated to French as money in 'la rive' which means shore, or river bank.) Unless someone actually has an Elven, Dwarven, or other dictionary you can just choose two words arbitrarily and say they are homonyms in the original language. The third word you replace with an 'untranslated' word - make something up that sounds Elven or Dwarven or whatever language you are using. The person who translated the riddle didn't know the common word for this so left the original word intact. (The English language is full of foreign words for which there is an English equivalent but lots of people just use the foreign word - like using rendezvous for a meeting.) This word will give a clue as to the original language of the riddle.
Now when the PCs first read the riddle it won't make complete sense. It won't matter if the riddle itself is easy to solve, the three words that don't fit will stump them at first.
Give them some time to notice the foreign word and ask about it. It helps if the word isn't too obvious - say if it appears where a proper name might fit they might think it is just that, a name and not a poor translation. Once they start to focus on the odd word give everyone who speaks another language an INT check to recognize the word in their language. It helps if the word could be translated differently in more than one language - so one person might say it means 'door' in dwarven while another says it is 'gate' in gnomish.
After they have focused on the linguistic possibilities a bit, give those who speak the original language a chance to recognize that one of the other two changed words is a homonym with another word in that language. Then allow them to translate the riddle into their own language and back into common again - this time correctly.

By doing this you add another layer of complexity without having to be particularly good at riddles. If they don't catch on right away you can allow those who speak the original language to make INT checks from time to time to see if they notice the key words. Of course, once they have the correct version of the riddle they still have to solve it of course.

Yogibear41
2015-10-12, 03:33 PM
Depending on how realistic you want to be or not, you should look up how easy it was for a bow to be ruined by things that could be as simple as getting it wet. One bow string probably isn't going to last very long either. Makes for fun times, the archers in our games usually carry several back up bow strings.

Aleolus
2015-10-13, 08:23 AM
Awesome suggestion for the puzzle, I'll definitely make use of it a time or two.

And as for the bowstring thing, very good comment, and I am looking for some additional houserules I can use to help emphasize the survival aspect.

Does anyone have other suggestions or comments? I'm looking for all the advice I can get

walfulninja
2015-10-13, 12:01 PM
Make sure that they know before hand what kind of campaign this is going to be, so that at least one of them takes survival. Otherwise, it'll be over pretty quick.

Barbarian Horde
2015-10-13, 01:58 PM
1. Don't supply any starting equipment
2. Don't supply any food.
3. Don't supply shelter.
4. Make them get everything from scratch. So have 4 level 1 pcs gang bang a kobold with an axe. Then systematically take out other sources of danger while at the same time providing food. Introduce home-brew craft system because 3.5s normal crafting is ridicules long and unnecessary.

Hamste
2015-10-13, 02:14 PM
Seems pretty good, though make sure there is a reasonable way for the sea cat to get in and out of the ship, particularly if the door is closed. Say an opening that was extremely well hidden or too deep for the party to reasonably have gotten to (or if need really be magic did it) for example. Nothing is more annoying than seeing an extremely large animal behind a ridiculous number of things with no way it could have gotten there on its own.