PDA

View Full Version : Flying Mechanics [Quick Questin]

Bloodzy
2015-10-10, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a quick simple question that I'm hoping someone has a quick and easy response for. I am currently playing as a race that has wings and has perfect maneuverability when flying and I fly faster then I can walk. (My fly=80ft and my walk=40ft) My question for you is, how quickly can I become aloft (airborne)? In other words, how long does it take me to take flight while in combat?

Here's an example to make my question clearer: I am fighting someone on the ground in melee. I see one of my comrades are 70ft. away getting hammered by another enemy. I want to assist them so I take flight and rush to their aide (I had to fly because my movement speed on land is not fast enough). I then land beside them and continue with my turn after expending my movement.

^ Is the above scenario possible? If not, how long does it take to land and take flight with a naturally winged character that has perfect maneuverability?

Thanks in advance,
Bloodzy

Bronk
2015-10-10, 07:16 PM
Here's the thing... With a perfect maneuverability, there's no reason for you to ever stop flying unless your DM tells you your wings won't fit somewhere. You can just flit right over there, and attack while still in the 'air'. It's just like being a hummingbird.

Bloodzy
2015-10-10, 07:17 PM
Here's the thing... With a perfect maneuverability, there's no reason for you to ever stop flying unless your DM tells you your wings won't fit somewhere. You can just flit right over there, and attack while still in the air.

I entirely agree. But from a roleplay and flavor perspective, I like the idea of landing so if I can do so while still being able to do the above scenario then I'd like to. Just for theatrics.

Draconium
2015-10-10, 07:25 PM
The SRD has a section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions) on the 3D movement of flight.

Based on what you're asking, I'd see it as such: You have to move up for at least part of your speed to start flying, unless you have the ability to hover in place. In your case, since you have Perfect maneuverability, I don't see anything keeping you from basically just lifting your legs up to hover in that square (still considered in reach, since you're less than 5 feet off the ground), then just flying over to your friend. And nothing is keeping you from landing at the end of your move, regardless of your maneuverability.

Of course, the rules do seem a bit vague, but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Bloodzy
2015-10-10, 07:31 PM
The SRD has a section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions) on the 3D movement of flight.

Based on what you're asking, I'd see it as such: You have to move up for at least part of your speed to start flying, unless you have the ability to hover in place. In your case, since you have Perfect maneuverability, I don't see anything keeping you from basically just lifting your legs up to hover in that square (still considered in reach, since you're less than 5 feet off the ground), then just flying over to your friend. And nothing is keeping you from landing at the end of your move, regardless of your maneuverability.

Of course, the rules do seem a bit vague, but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

I have read that entire section and I agree with your answer. I saw it the same but I still want to hear others opinions on the matter.
Thanks for the response

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 07:45 PM
Barring creatures who prevent vertical flight, you don't have to 'takeoff.' You chose to make your movement flying. As long as your total movement, lateral and vertical, is less than your Fly speed, then your fine. You can even skim the ground while flying with no issues (besides being more likely to be subject to AoOs). "Taking off" is not an action in of itself nor a flight maneuver that costs X amount of movement.

BowStreetRunner
2015-10-10, 07:46 PM
The section you really want to look at is under Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly). It specifies "A creature with this ability can cease or resume flight as a free action."

Bloodzy
2015-10-11, 01:02 PM
Barring creatures who prevent vertical flight, you don't have to 'takeoff.' You chose to make your movement flying. As long as your total movement, lateral and vertical, is less than your Fly speed, then your fine. You can even skim the ground while flying with no issues (besides being more likely to be subject to AoOs). "Taking off" is not an action in of itself nor a flight maneuver that costs X amount of movement.

Yep! That makes perfect sense. Good point, thank you

The section you really want to look at is under Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly). It specifies "A creature with this ability can cease or resume flight as a free action."

I read up on the article and it did help with understanding.

Thanks everyone for their responses. The question has been answered thoroughly and my inquiry has been solved.