PDA

View Full Version : La+1?

Tyrael
2007-05-22, 04:40 AM
Quick question, folks. This thread (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=697653) is very handy for people doing LA+0 races. However, I'm starting in a campaign soon, and the DM is considering LA buyoffs, and is willing to consider monstrous races. My problem is, I don't know of all the races that have LA+1 and what they offer.

Is there a list somewhere of LA+1 races? Or LA+2s?

Person_Man
2007-05-22, 09:58 AM
I'm not aware of any such master compilation of LA adjusted races. Even with LA buyoff, its often not such a great deal. And there are a ton of them in the various MM. So no one has bothered.

I would suggest Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) or Drow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a).

Mineral Warrior gets damage reduction 8/adamantine. Drow gets respectable SR earlier then any other race I know about. There's also a new sourcebook for Drow which gives them a bunch of useful feats and PrC.

Amiria
2007-05-22, 10:20 AM
Get the Races and Template PDFs from Crystal Keep and use the search option for "Level Adjustment".

Lolth
2007-05-22, 10:28 AM
Gotta love the Drow!

*coughs*

Would you believe not one of the Drow on our chat is a dual scimitar wielder with an overactive conscience/bloated sense of moral superiority/angst factory?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 11:10 AM
Gotta love the Drow!

*coughs*

Would you believe not one of the Drow on our chat is a dual scimitar wielder with an overactive conscience/bloated sense of moral superiority/angst factory?

Yes. I've played an all drow campaign. It really really sucked.

Talya
2007-05-22, 12:56 PM
Yes. I've played an all drow campaign. It really really sucked.

If you're going to do an all drow campaign, where nobody rises above chaotic neutral and most are chaotic evil, you have to remain unattached to your character, because most of you will have multiple characters die and never get resurrected. You also have to be willing to play along with the matriarchal, "males are only slightly better than slaves" thing. Lastly, you have to be friendly enough among each other for the group to withstand the backstabbing, conniving, scheming and plotting that will take place against each other even as you work toward your overall plot goals.

Penguinizer
2007-05-22, 01:00 PM
For LA+1 I prefer Duergar. Immune to poison, Immune to paralysis, Immune to Phantasms. Yes please.

JoeFredBob
2007-05-22, 05:46 PM
If MM III is allowed, the poisondusk lizardfolk are fairly awesome. They might not be the most powerful choice, but they get nifty perks like poison use, small size with 30 ft base move speed, and natural armor. I've wanted to play one for a while now, but never gotten the opportunity.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 06:20 PM
If you're going to do an all drow campaign, where nobody rises above chaotic neutral and most are chaotic evil, you have to remain unattached to your character, because most of you will have multiple characters die and never get resurrected. You also have to be willing to play along with the matriarchal, "males are only slightly better than slaves" thing. Lastly, you have to be friendly enough among each other for the group to withstand the backstabbing, conniving, scheming and plotting that will take place against each other even as you work toward your overall plot goals.

Mainly it was the lame DM who had nothing better to do but send an army against a bunch of Drow psions. He then sent an army of level 20 characters, forcing us to forget the number 1 rule of psionics in order to beat them. Then he got angry and knocked us down to level 1 with no explaination despite us having agreed that the whole point of this one-shot game was to try out high level characters.

Some DMs just don't get this game.

I tend to be in the "I will play a human to make a stand against all this madness" camp.

Mainly because nobody will let me play a mindless zombie or golem.

Droodle
2007-05-22, 07:09 PM
Mainly it was the lame DM who had nothing better to do but send an army against a bunch of Drow psions. He then sent an army of level 20 characters, forcing us to forget the number 1 rule of psionics in order to beat them. Which rule is that?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-22, 07:38 PM
If you want to be a jerk, Goliaths. Powerful build and a Str bonus push most melee builds over the edge.

Anyways, Poison Dusk Lizardfolk are a good option, if a bit on the powerful side.

If you want fun rather than power, there are some fun options in Planar Handbook. Air Mephlings with the Air Heritage Feat start the game with a Fly Speed of 20 (Perfect), and they make decent elemental casters (for an LA race anywy).

Shadowswyfts are weak, but interesting. The 40 base speed can lead to an interesting tactical fighter or rogue.

Bauriars are a nice "almost centaur" for characters who don't want to deal with the huge LA buyout for Centaurs.

Stevenson
2007-05-22, 08:04 PM
Well, the only ones you need to know are:

Chaos Gnome, Catfolk, Goliaths, Drow (if you want to be emo)...those are the big ones I can think of.

TheLogman
2007-05-22, 08:21 PM
Karsites :smallbiggrin: give +2 LA, all human traits, SR 10+character level, +2 charisma and Con, heal the level of the spell times 2 that hits them if that spell fails on the SR, and the ability to suppress magical items just by hitting normally. Oh, and 5/magic DR.

Only drawback is the inability to ever cast a spell, so try a fighter, binder, psion, or monk maybe?

Also nycters (Think Bat people) , +2 LA small size, +4 dex, -2 str, +2 wisdom, -2 char

20 land speed, but at low levels, a 40 fly speed rules. blindsense and darkvision help too. As a cleric, or their favored class druid, they wouldn't be terrible.

In terms of books, two ones chock full of good LA +1 and +2 stuff are the Planar Handbook (Not the Manuel of the Planes), and the MM III

Oh, and for half-catfish, try

-2 charisma the catfish side is kind-of well...out there.
+2 Constitution Catfish are hardy
-2 Diplomacy when relating to terrestrials

Amphibian-the Water and Human heritage give him the ability to live on either water or land with relative comfort.

Blind sense- Catfish have those dealidy-bopers on their faces for a reason, his give him blind sense out to 40 feet

Gagh! I'm drying out!- In areas of extreme heat or within the range of a spell with a (fire) descriptor, the catfish takes 1 constitution (temporary) damage per 2 rounds exposed to the heat, or every round exposed to a spell with the (Fire) descriptor, including summoning spells. The damage stays until the half-catfish is taken out of range and moistened, or steadily humidified.

Speak with fishes- the half-catfish can speak with animals and creatures with the (Aquatic) subtype once per day for 1 minute as if with the Tongues spell.

I'm thinking La +1?

Roland St. Jude
2007-05-22, 09:13 PM
There's a thread listing low LA <3 & low ECL < 7 choices... http://boards1.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-552821, but by all means contiue the discussion here. (That thread is pretty old anyway.)