PDA

View Full Version : Homestuck campaign

johnswiftwood
2015-10-10, 11:36 PM
I know that among us Homestuck is an obscure piece of work, but me and my friends want to use the characters in a twelve man party, utilizing the first twelve trolls one sees. we're trying to decide on class, race, and alignment.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-11, 12:06 AM
I know that among us Homestuck is an obscure piece of work

Yeah I have litteraly no clue what Homestuck is, but a search brought me to http://goo.gl/SsqAPV, and it looks helpful.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 01:47 AM
Yeah I have litteraly no clue what Homestuck is, but a search brought me to http://goo.gl/SsqAPV, and it looks helpful.

It is literally the weirdest ph 13 thing on the internet. First few dose pages are slow though.

Strill
2015-10-11, 02:10 AM
I know that among us Homestuck is an obscure piece of work, but me and my friends want to use the characters in a twelve man party, utilizing the first twelve trolls one sees. we're trying to decide on class, race, and alignment.

So you're saying that you're trying to recreate the 12 Beta trolls as D&D 5e characters? Are you trying to accurately recreate the Homestuck storyline or characters? Or do you just want to make a new story involving characters with the same personalities and motivations? Are you trying to recreate their respective abilities?

As far as accurately recreating the characters goes, I'm not sure that D&D really fits that concept all that well. Most of the Homestuck characters have a few highly specific abilities, which often tend to be extremely powerful, whereas D&D 5e characters tend to have a wide variety of many weaker abilities. Furthermore, there are huge power disparities between the different characters, which is not well supported under D&D's game balance assumptions.

Honestly I think this idea would be a better fit for a more rules-lite game like Fate.

Yorrin
2015-10-11, 06:49 AM
Oh my goodness. It's been far to long since I've read homestuck, but I'm a huge fan.

#1 I'd love to help out any way I can
#2 Please keep us updated with the progress of the campaign. I'd love to hear what adventures in that mythos are like.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 05:25 PM
So you're saying that you're trying to recreate the 12 Beta trolls as D&D 5e characters? Are you trying to accurately recreate the Homestuck storyline or characters? Or do you just want to make a new story involving characters with the same personalities and motivations? Are you trying to recreate their respective abilities?

As far as accurately recreating the characters goes, I'm not sure that D&D really fits that concept all that well. Most of the Homestuck characters have a few highly specific abilities, which often tend to be extremely powerful, whereas D&D 5e characters tend to have a wide variety of many weaker abilities. Furthermore, there are huge power disparities between the different characters, which is not well supported under D&D's game balance assumptions.

Honestly I think this idea would be a better fit for a more rules-lite game like Fate.
same characters different context. basically them in a D&D setting.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 05:26 PM
Oh my goodness. It's been far to long since I've read homestuck, but I'm a huge fan.

#1 I'd love to help out any way I can
#2 Please keep us updated with the progress of the campaign. I'd love to hear what adventures in that mythos are like.

i'm basically using my campaign setting, just at one certain period in time where there are several large empires rather then hundreds of thousands of tiny citystates.

Strill
2015-10-11, 05:45 PM
same characters different context. basically them in a D&D setting.

With their abilities, or just an approximation of their abilities?

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 07:26 PM
With their abilities, or just an approximation of their abilities?
Well thus far what my players have is the guy that's playing karkat is using a comparatevly low strength fighter, putting his lowest roll with the heroic roll method (2d6 +6) in strength, but he's playing as a half orc , he also put his 18 in charisma for whatever reason.

Strill
2015-10-11, 07:34 PM
Well thus far what my players have is the guy that's playing karkat is using a comparatevly low strength fighter, putting his lowest roll with the heroic roll method (2d6 +6) in strength, but he's playing as a half orc , he also put his 18 in charisma for whatever reason.

For whatever reason? 18 CHA is totally accurate. His most defining feature is his skill at diplomacy. What's his DEX at?

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 07:38 PM
For whatever reason? 18 CHA is totally accurate. Have you never read Homestuck? What's his DEX at?

I don't remember, like either 13 or 14,

Strill
2015-10-11, 08:01 PM
I don't remember, like either 13 or 14,

If it's 14 he should be ok.

Anyways, for the other characters:

Sollux: Awakened Mystic
Terezi: Paladin
Vriska: Arcane Trickster Rogue (ideally with d8s for sneak attack dice)
Eridan: Sorcerer
Feferi: Life Cleric
Equius: Berserker Barbarian
Gamzee: Bard
Living Aradia: Thief Rogue
Tavros: Druid
Nepeta: Ranger
Kanaya: Warlock?
Karkat: Fighter

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 08:10 PM
If it's 14 he should be ok.

Anyways, for the other characters:

Sollux: Awakened Mystic
Terezi: Paladin
Vriska: Arcane Trickster Rogue (ideally with d8s for sneak attack dice)
Eridan: Sorcerer
Feferi: Life Cleric
Equius: Berserker Barbarian
Gamzee: Bard
Living Aradia: Thief Rogue
Tavros: Druid
Nepeta: Ranger
Kanaya: Warlock?
Karkat: Fighter

Hmm , okay fair enough, I guess I could home brew a spiked cestus or something for equius . But what of eridan's starting weapon?we were planning for him to use an enchanted crossbow. And we'd want him to be as adamantly and stupidly against magic as he is in canon. And kanaya is a bit of a special case, her player decided on being a vampiric drow.

Strill
2015-10-11, 08:27 PM
Hmm , okay fair enough, I guess I could home brew a spiked cestus or something for equius . But what of eridan's starting weapon?we were planning for him to use an enchanted crossbow. And we'd want him to be as adamantly and stupidly against magic as he is in canon. And kanaya is a bit of a special case, her player decided on being a vampiric drow.

It depends on how/if you want to represent their god-tier powers. If you're going for pre-god-tier I suppose Fighter would work, or alternatively one of the spell-less Ranger variants.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 08:40 PM
It depends on how/if you want to represent their god-tier powers. If you're going for pre-god-tier I suppose Fighter would work, or alternatively one of the spell-less Ranger variants.
Makes sense. And as per god tiers, its more a story element than gameplay. I've pretty much decided that races replaced the hemospedtrum, with monstrous races being the stand in for mutants. 'Lower' races like dwarves, golioths and humans being low bloods, 'subfey' like hobbits,drow,elves, and gnomes being mid bloods, and 'true fey' like Eladrin, a smaller variant of formian, merpeople, and sea elves being high bloods, and again it's all in order

The empress being a sea elf played everything in her favor . Pretending that sea dwelling fey creatures are the truest example of fey, she placed formians above eladrin because they're easier to manipulate and extremely strong.

Strill
2015-10-11, 10:54 PM
You might actually want to give Karkat expertise on Persuasion checks. His whole schtick is that he's good at diplomacy in spite of his initial temperament, and if he's willing to nerf his combat stats so badly for the sake of CHA, I think he should at least be good at social.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-11, 11:47 PM
You might actually want to give Karkat expertise on Persuasion checks. His whole schtick is that he's good at diplomacy in spite of his initial temperament, and if he's willing to nerf his combat stats so badly for the sake of CHA, I think he should at least be good at social.

Well, that is true. But he'd have penalties when persuding with any member of society of higher rank than him due to being part orc , other than maybe the lower half of the social scale,

johnswiftwood
2015-10-12, 11:14 AM
Okay so I now have their classes. Since we already had races sorted out for a while

Karkat-fighter (plans on eldritch knight)
Aradia-wizard (plans on being a nercromancer)
Tavros-druid
Sollux-monk (due to the lack of weapons, and not having access to the awakened mystic that was suggested)
Nepeta-ranger
Kanaya-barbarian (plans on totem warrior)
Terezi-paladin
Vriska-rogue
Equius-barbarian
Gamzee-bard
Eridan-fighter (plans for battle master, and eventual multiclassing)
Feferi-cleric.

johnswiftwood
2015-10-12, 10:16 PM
Okay so the first session is starting in an hour

johnswiftwood
2015-10-15, 03:22 PM
no interest then?