View Full Version : DM Help How would you pull this off?

SangoProduction
2015-10-11, 02:49 AM
Questions:
1) What sort of lay out would you have for such an event? [Aside from a multi-floor system where the first floor is weakest and last floor is strongest.]
2) What sort of twists and turns should I incorporate? [Such as traps, or abnormal enemies]
3) Anything else you would like to add?

What's going on: The party are part of a guild. They, as well as a couple other guilds from across the region, have been invited to participate in an event called the "Grand Cleansing", where necromantic energies which have been collected over the past year is released (in a controlled manner) to reanimate a giant, self-enclosed crypt. In here, everyone collects skulls of the undead that have been raised to compete for the grand prize.
The event is held by the city officials, though it's regionally sponsored, as the ritual for collecting the necrotic energies keeps the region clean of most undead.

Rules:
0) All undead must be destroyed and claimed before the end of the event, or no prizes are won.
1) Every guild's sponsor group, and the civilian's sponsor group (not of a guild), must have a maximum of 5 people (one more than the party has).
2) The group with the most skulls by the end of the event (coin toss if it's at night or during the day) gets the grand prize, and a large sum of gold.
3) The groups with the second and third most skulls get compensatory prize money.
4) This competition allows for foul play, so long as the guards can not see you. [This gives everyone a safe haven on the first floor.]
5) The skulls on higher levels are worth more than the skulls on lower ones.

My Plans:
The players will be racing against the clock, basically, to get skulls. Simplified in terms of "turns in combat" until the end of the event.
Every turn, the groups collect some number of skulls each. For instance, one weak group could collect 1 skull every 2 turns, while a stronger one might collect upwards of 5 skulls per turn.
Obviously, if you defeat someone in the crypt, then they can't keep collecting skulls, so the party must clear the rooms, or let the other teams take the skulls. (Because I probably won't have it so they don't have a problem with rule 0, unless they go on a murder spree against the non-undead.)
But, how would I represent that?