PDA

View Full Version : Looking, but not finding.

XagencyX
2007-05-22, 05:39 AM
Alright, I've been looking through my books for a couple of things, but I'm having trouble finding them. First, I need something that looks as human as possible, or can be easily disguised to look human, with the highest possible wisdom bonus, and lowest possible LA. Second, is there a feat that allows you to apply dexterity to melee damage, ala the Form 4 Lightsaber feat from SW d20, but for DnD 3.5? Pretty much any book is available to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 06:48 AM
Well, I doubt you'll be able to find an LA +0 race with more than a +2 Wis modifier. Probably be difficult to find many LA +1 races with a better modifier, too.

That being said, I'd start by looking up planetouched. They're uniformally LA +1. There are of course the Assimar and Tiefling from the MM. But you can also find the Genasi (Forgotten Realms or Dragon magazine, whichever you have access too), law and chaos planetouched (forget their proper names), and Para-Genasi. You might find something close to what you're looking for there. I don't have the issues of Dragon with the Genasi, Para-Genasi, and law and chaos planetouched handy right now, so I can't get more specific than that.

Glorfindel
2007-05-22, 06:58 AM
IIRC:
The PrC Champion of Corellan Larethian allows you to add your Dex modifier to melee damage (from 2nd level on I think). This PrC is only available to Elves and Half-Elves, though.

XagencyX
2007-05-22, 07:02 AM
@ Shhalahr: Thanks much. I had looked over Aasimar, but wasn't sure if there was something else out there.

@ Glorfindel: What book is that PrC in, if you would be so kind?

Glorfindel
2007-05-22, 07:06 AM
@ Glorfindel: What book is that PrC in, if you would be so kind?Honestly, I don't know. I think I saw someone on this forum posting something about it, but it is certainly not homebrew.

Educated guess: Races of the Wild.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 07:08 AM
Anthropomorphic bat and toad are the ultimate low ECL wisdom races but if you want to look human Aasimar is the best bet.

There's a shadowhand feat that lets you add dex to damage in Tome of Battle but it's with very limited weapons.

XagencyX
2007-05-22, 07:10 AM
Excellent! Thanks very much for the help, all. :smallbiggrin:

Foolosophy
2007-05-22, 07:12 AM
PGtF's Lesser Aasimar variant has no LA at all, if your DM is ok with using these variants.

Talya
2007-05-22, 07:27 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I think I saw someone on this forum posting something about it, but it is certainly not homebrew.

Educated guess: Races of the Wild.

That PrC makes me think of Tolkien's Glorfindel, coincidentally--a mounted, armored elf paladin with his high dex not being hindered by the full plate he's wearing...

Accersitus
2007-05-22, 07:46 AM
You can use 3 feats from Tome of Battle. (Martial Study, Martial Stance, and Shadow Blade) to get your dex modifier to damage if you use dagger, sai, short sword, spiked chain, siangham, or unarmed strike. (if you use one of the ToB classes, you only need the shadow blade feat, since you can choose the mandatory stance for Shadow Blade from your class)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 10:33 AM
M'kay. I found the copy of Dragon with the standard Genasi. None of them have a Wis bonus. I'll let you know about other planetouched options if I find it.

Lolth
2007-05-22, 10:52 AM
Aasimar sounds like your race.

Champion of Corellon Larethian is in Races of the Wild, but as mentioned is Elf-blood only.

The Drow have a nifty Fighter option in Drow of the Underdark that allows them to add Dex to damage when catching people flat-footed, but also Drow-only.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Douglas
2007-05-22, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the best you're going to get for the combination of low LA, wisdom bonus, looks human, and dex to melee damage is Aasimar with the Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle. LA +1 (+0 if your DM allows the Lesser Aasimar variant in the back of PGtF), +2 wisdom, +dex to damage with Shadow Hand favored weapons while in a Shadow Hand stance. Satisfying the prereqs for Shadow Blade requires either two feats or at least one level in Swordsage.

If you're willing to give up the wisdom bonus, elf or half-elf with two levels in Champion of Corellon Larethian is the only other way I know of to get dexterity to damage.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 11:27 AM
Not the original article, but I found a web page (http://genera.ohxit.com/Game_System_Info/Races/native_outsiders.htm) claiming Axani (Lawful planetouched) and Ice Para Genasi each have a +2 Wis. Can't guarantee accuracy, but it looks good.

XagencyX
2007-05-23, 11:57 AM
Alright, I'm really, really thankful for everyone who's responded. It's been an immense help.

So here's the thing. I'm working on a campaign for my gaming group, and a lot of it revolves around a semi-religious order, akin to the Jedi order. I was looking for a good prestige class that would fit their more martial minded branch, and the Champion of Corellon Larethian is almost a good fit, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, mainly because the majority population of the world is human, most of the other races having been killed off in a vast, continent spanning war. So I've rewritten the class a bit, and changed the prereqs slightly, and I'll like to pose it to the board, and see what everyone thinks.

First off, the granted abilities of the class are almost exactly the same, but the ones that specifically refer to Corellon have been renamed.

Changed prerequisites are marked with an asterisk.

Armored Acolyte of the Order

Race: Human *
Base Attack +7

Skills:
Diplomacy 5 ranks *
Tumble 4 ranks *
Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks *

Feats:
Proficiency with all martial weapons and all armor
Combat Expertise
Dodge
Mobility*

Special:
Must be a member of the Order*

Special:
Must take Weapon Focus: with a finesseable weapon*

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

silentknight
2007-05-23, 12:17 PM
For anyone interested, the law and chaos planetouched are in the MM2.