PDA

View Full Version : Ways to manifest powers that are not on class list

Pippin
2015-10-11, 06:44 AM
Hello playground,

I was looking up how Power Stones work, and I encountered the following condition:

The user must have the power on his or her class list
which is kind of a downer. Is there any workaround for non-Psionic characters to manifest a given power? Or for Psionic characters that have the wrong discipline?

Kesnit
2015-10-11, 06:56 AM
Use Psionic Device should work. Ask your DM if they use magic/psionic transparency, which would mean UMD would also work.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-10-11, 07:27 AM
You can ask a high-level telepath to use psychic chirurgery to implant a power into your brain. It costs 1000 xp per level of the power, which translates to 5000 gp per level (a thought bottle can reduce the cost, as per the usual cheese). It's especially good for a power like astral construct, which is first-level and scales very well.

Pippin
2015-10-11, 07:59 AM
Oh right, now I feel stupid for not thinking about UPD before. What's the easiest way to get UPD as a class skill?

You can ask a high-level telepath to use psychic chirurgery to implant a power into your brain. It costs 1000 xp per level of the power, which translates to 5000 gp per level (a thought bottle can reduce the cost, as per the usual cheese). It's especially good for a power like astral construct, which is first-level and scales very well.
True, although I suppose that a 7th-level Psion still wouldn't be able to manifest Psionic Teleport this way, would he?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-10-11, 08:10 AM
True, although I suppose that a 7th-level Psion still wouldn't be able to manifest Psionic Teleport this way, would he?
Not normally, no - you need to be able to manifest 5th-level powers, before psionic teleport can be implanted.

Psyren
2015-10-11, 09:33 AM
You can learn 3rd-level Psionic Teleport if you find an Elocater somewhere.

There are only a handful of ways to get UPD as a class skill; a Factotum dip + Able Learner, or Human Paragon for instance.