PDA

View Full Version : 5e Master Support

AboveJester
2015-10-11, 01:09 PM
Looking for some input on a support build Im putting together. Definitely not your typical archer.

Jester's Masterful Support

In my mind archers are support. They can still be powerful attackers with fighter, but as a support I feel they work more effectively.
When the heat is on and an ally falls they ARE the backup plan. So far I don't have an actual level progression, but I'm working on it.

So far, the best race I can name is the human. I know that half-elves are awesome, but human (Variants) gain a FEAT, if feats are allowed, at 1st level. Making them the clear choice.

For classes I tried Ranger, I play tested Ranger, and I've come to a sad conclusion. Ranger is worthless. Like, completely worthless. I really thought it had something there, but nope. It's garbage. So I went to the go to support, the BARD, and I've come up with this little combination.

BARD Lvl 10 (Min, College of Lore): As a support, don't need extra attack right away, besides you'll be getting that later, so you'll be in the College of Lorde, err Lore.. This is for multiple reasons.

Magical Secrets allows you to choose spells from other spell lists and make them Bard spells. Now everyone knows the "Swift Quiver" trick by now, but I'll explain it anyway. Rangers and Paladins learn lower level spells at higher levels, meaning you can gain some op spells if they're from those spell lists, and yes you will be picking up Swift Quiver at level 10.

Learn Haste using Magical Secrets at Lvl 6, and Swift Quiver at Lvl 10. The Spell Bestow Curse as soon as possible as it's an important part of how you deal damage. You'll be using a Familiar to deliver the touch attack most likely. By casting Bestow Curse as a 5th level spell it isn't considered a concentration spell.
Warlock (2 Lvl Dip): For warlock it doesn't matter what your patron is, you'll only be in it for two levels. You can go for
more if you want. You'll be taking Repelling Blast and Agonizing Blast to ELDRITCH BLAST ALL THE THING! and of course learn eldritch blast lol. For spells I would recommend Hex, which will stack with Bestow Curse if it's cast at 5th level or higher. You'll be using repelling blast whenever an ally is under too much fire to give them a turn to recover.
Now the real bread and butter. The Maneuvers from Battle Master really ties this class together. You'll be dominating the
playing field no matter where everyone is. You need to go to at least lvl 3, but I recommend going to 4 or 5 for the extra feat and extra attack. The remaining few levels would be up to you.
Feats! You need sharpshooter, of course. It'll madly help your damage in a pinch. Other feats I recommend would be
Spell Sniper if you go more into warlock, Skulker if youre trying to be sneaky. If your DM likes Mages choose Mage Slayer, but if he likes traps go with Dungeon Delver. Lucky WILL help big time. I love it. Turning disadvantage into advantage with three d20's is too much to ignore lol.
Damage Output: Assuming you're trying to kill a single target, and you already cast Swift Quiver and Bestow Curse, and assuming you're at 17th level or higher, AND you use Action Surge, you can dish out 4d10+4xcha, 4d10+4xcha, Bow damage, Bow damage, then +10d8 necromantic from Bestow Curse. That's without using Maneuvers. Assuming you only have to throw this damage out about once per long rest (Only to save a dying comrade) I think this Support build isn't bad. Plus, if you choose Pushing attack you can blast someone over 100ft away using action surge lol What do you guys think?

Mcdt2
2015-10-11, 02:22 PM
I can't speak for the validity of this build, since I'm not too experienced with 5e yet. You'd probably have much better luck if you posted this in the 5e subforum, not the 3.5 one (hint, hint). I'd suggest reporting your own post to request a move to the right subforum.