PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

Deckmaster
2007-05-22, 08:29 AM
There's a trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thegoldencompass.html;_ylt=AsQcRcSC53z_EP_TS5_wdGN fVXcA) up at Yahoo! for The Golden Compass.

Any movie with Sam Elliot and armored polar bears is worth checking out.

Flying Elephant
2007-05-22, 10:49 AM
How are they going to make the series into a movie? The books are so complex!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 11:17 AM
How are they going to make the series into a movie? The books are so complex!

No, they're really not.

All that happens in that book is a girl goes north to save her friend, meets some people and then runs off into another dimension.

Flying Elephant
2007-05-22, 11:21 AM
No, they're really not.

All that happens in that book is a girl goes north to save her friend, meets some people and then runs off into another dimension.
I mean that people will walk away without knowing what happened because of the whole dimension hopping aspect. The series was confusing enough as a book, but movies just can't explain all the weird stuff.

Sirelroka
2007-05-22, 11:45 AM
Also, get your very own daemon at the movie site (http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/)! I'm a little apprehensive about the movie, having loved the books, I was totally geeked to get mine.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Sirelroka/Tarquin.gif (http://www.annearchy.com/sirelroka/2007/04/tarquin.html)

TMTree
2007-05-22, 11:47 AM
I mean that people will walk away without knowing what happened because of the whole dimension hopping aspect. The series was confusing enough as a book, but movies just can't explain all the weird stuff.

The first book ought to be alright in that sense-all the dimension hopping doesn't start until the second book, does it?

*watches trailer*

It seems a bit silly that the first thrity seconds so of that trailer were dedicated to saying "if you liked Lord of the Rings, you'll like this". Especially considering that the two series are not really that similar apart from them being fantasy books.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 12:32 PM

Ugh...

You really think Dimension hopping is confusing? It's just like traveling to a differant country.

Audiences aren't stupid. Narnia had dimension hopping too, just only between two worlds. The only confusing thing in His Dark Materials is the ex-catholic scientist subplot, because she has no place in the story except to explain random psychobabble.

Aidan305
2007-05-22, 12:38 PM
I had heard that they were making a movie of Northern Lights. Should be good (I hope), though I did imagine the panserbjorne as being more humanoid.

twerk_face
2007-05-22, 12:38 PM
No, they're really not.

....I'm insulted that you were the one to start this thread. This trilogy is comprised of some of the most complex, intricate, thoughtprovoking, insightful, and intelligent fantasy books from the last 30 years. Know the facts before you speak, young man.:smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 12:49 PM
I had heard that they were making a movie of Northern Lights. Should be good (I hope), though I did imagine the panserbjorne as being more humanoid.

I think they're better nonhumanoid. Humanoid races are an annoying cop out in my opinion.

I haven't actually seen the Armoured Bear designs yet though.

....I'm insulted that you were the one to start this thread. This trilogy is comprised of some of the most complex, intricate, thoughtprovoking, insightful, and intelligent fantasy books from the last 30 years. Know the facts before you speak, young man.:smallbiggrin:

I didn't start this thread.

If you think a group of half formed anti-clerical stereotypes are thoughtprovoking then I suppose.

Young man? While that discription fits me, I'm older than the age target for these books.

I know some of the facts (despite the irrelevant facts that I typed them rather than spoke them) but I was merely talking about the story, which isn't very complex at all.

I don't dislike the books. However they really aren't that great. They're better written and thought out then Harry Potter for sure but they're little more than standard adventure fiction with some original ideas on the sidelines, obscure anthropology references and a load of unsubtle anti-religious ranting.

Deckmaster
2007-05-22, 01:28 PM

He didn't start this thread; I did!

Actually, I've never read the books, but the movie looks awesome. Plus, Sam Elliott is in it. And Nicole Kidman (blah) and Daniel Craig (hmm) and OMG Sam Elliott!

Plus, I can't really figure out what's going on in this movie. Apparently it's a parallel universe where some dude has a crazy idea that there are parallel universes. And then, some little girl shows up and she's got a magic compass. And there are flying people and armored bears and airships and OMG! It's Sam Elliot! I always like it when it only makes sense when I see the movie.

Don Beegles
2007-05-22, 01:37 PM
I hadn't heard about this movie, but I'm rather looking forward to it. The books are really excellent aside from the religion bashing (and it always seemed more antiCatholicism than antiReligion), and if done well, the movie could be great. Of course, it could be awful, but there is enough of a chance of goodness that it should be worth seeing. It's really down to whether it turns out like Narnia or like Eragon, and the books are much more similar to the former, so the movie should end up like it as well.

Vaynor
2007-05-22, 03:01 PM
*fanboy drool*

I love these books, can't wait to see the movie.

JadedDM
2007-05-22, 08:31 PM
From what I've heard, they're actually removing all references to religion from the movies, as it wouldn't sit well with American audiences.

Neon Knight
2007-05-22, 09:54 PM
From what I've heard, they're actually removing all references to religion from the movies, as it wouldn't sit well with American audiences.

If true, this will only enhance my enjoyment of the film.

Reinforcements
2007-05-22, 11:53 PM
I hope not, as that's kinda the point.

J_Muller
2007-05-23, 12:15 AM
Two things:

First, this movie's either going to be extremely weird or very unfaithful to the book. It's too early to say how good it'll be, though.

Second, where do you get religion-bashing from these books? Just because the religion in the books is evil doesn't mean the author is against religion. Evil Christianity-like religion in a fictional work =!= OMG THIS AUTHOR MUST HATE ALL CHRISTIANS EVERYWHERE AND THINK RELIGION IS BOLLOCKS. Just because Tolkien couldn't keep the anti-industrialism out of LotR doesn't mean that every fantasy author who gives the bad guys a certain trait is railing against that trait.

JadedDM
2007-05-23, 01:09 AM
I hope not, as that's kinda the point.

link (http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?p=weitzinterview)

BridgeToTheStars.Net: Do you think any of the more controversial aspects of HDM (like the portrayl of religion) will be toned down or removed altogether?

Chris Weitz: Here we are at the heart of the matter. This will certainly be the issue that will ignite the most controversy amongst fans and amongst the general public.

First let me say that I have visited with Pullman and spoken with him about this subject at great length. His feeling, and I say this with absolute certainty that I am not unfairly paraphrasing him, is that the "Authority" in question could represent any arbitrary establishment that curtails the freedom of the individual, whether it be religious, political, totalitarian, fundamentalist, communist, what have you. This gives me a certain amount of leeway in navigating the very treacherous issues that beset adapting HDM for the screen.

New Line is a company that makes films for economic returns. You would hardly expect them to be anything else. They have expressed worry about the possibility of HDM’s perceived antireligiosity making it an unviable project financially. My job is to get the film made in such a way that the spirit of the piece is carried through to the screen, and to do that I must contend not only with the difficulties of the material but with the fears of the studio. Needless to say, all my best efforts will be directed towards keeping HDM as liberating and iconoclastic an experience as I can. But there may be some modification of terms. You will probably not hear of the "Church" but you will hear of the Magisterium. Those who will understand will understand. I have no desire to change the nature or intentions of the villains of the piece, but they may appear in more subtle guises.

On the score of religion, let me say that I think HDM is, in fact, not an atheistic work but a highly spiritual and reverent piece of writing. I think it is with the forms and hierarchies and imperatives of established religions that Pullman quarrels, not with the sense that there is something in the world other than, beyond us. Those who attack it as an assault upon religion are mistaken.

I'm not entirely certain what other controversial aspects you are referring to – the love story maybe? That must be handled with tact and sympathy.

twerk_face
2007-05-23, 06:03 AM
I think they're better nonhumanoid. Humanoid races are an annoying cop out in my opinion.

I haven't actually seen the Armoured Bear designs yet though.

I didn't start this thread.

If you think a group of half formed anti-clerical stereotypes are thoughtprovoking then I suppose.

Young man? While that discription fits me, I'm older than the age target for these books.

I know some of the facts (despite the irrelevant facts that I typed them rather than spoke them) but I was merely talking about the story, which isn't very complex at all.

I don't dislike the books. However they really aren't that great. They're better written and thought out then Harry Potter for sure but they're little more than standard adventure fiction with some original ideas on the sidelines, obscure anthropology references and a load of unsubtle anti-religious ranting.

Sorry, I thought you started this thread. But the rest of what I said holds true (cept maybe the young man part, that was a joke). When i say deep i'm not talking about the anti-religious undertones alone. And you say your older than who this book is made for? One of the things i love most about His Dark Materials is that they can be read, and enjoyed, by anybody of any age who can read. I read them for the first time when I was in elementry school. Now, i'm a much different person, about to end my junior year in high school, and i just read the series again, and enjoyed it even more than i did the first time. I don't want to get into a discussion on what exactly is amazing about these books (i'll prolly get worked up and say something hurtful), but try checking out some of the essays that have been writen on the topic. They might prove insightful.