PDA

View Full Version : Splash Weapon Spells

g3taso
2015-10-11, 03:51 PM
I like splash weapons, but my character isn't an alchemist. What kind of spells out there do splash damage? What are the better alchemical items?

ILM
2015-10-11, 04:27 PM
I don't know about your character, but there's a prestige class called Alchemist Savant, which lets you brew special alchemical splash weapons mixed with a riding magical spell effect (limited to 3rd level).

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-11, 06:27 PM
If you don't mind a little mix and match with material presented in setting specific source books, you can build a wizard/alchemist savant/master alchemist and be able to turn most spells into potions that you can blend with alchemical splash weapons and poisons.

The only thing is that you have to convince your DM that alchemist savant's text on spell vials saying third level or lower is descriptively reminding you that potions are limited to 3rd level rather than prescriptively limiting spell vials to 3rd level and lower in-spite of anything that might release that restriction from potions.

Find a way to make serious money. Crafting potions all the time gets freakin' expensive.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-12, 01:17 AM
Find a way to make serious money. Crafting potions all the time gets freakin' expensive.

Sell walls of salt/ walls of iron, or craft and sell shapesand.

If alchemy is your thing, A&EG has the gnome calculus weapon. Its' a sling for throwing alchemicals. Get one and enchant it. It still resolves hits via touch, so if you have a good dex you can get away with not taking EWP for it.

One of the Eberron books has the Alchemy Blade. A short sword that can add an alchemical to its attack.

I also want to say that UA has a feat or two for granting alchemy crafting to non casters.

As for the better items:
Shapesand will always be top of the list. You'll want to work out some house rules with the DM beforehand to keep it from being outright banned at the table.
Acid is cheap, and was my go to weapon for my alchemy focused wizard.
Healing Salve. Non magical healing can turn some dire situations into minor threats, such as AMFs.
Trail bars, because rations are heavy and nasty.
Weeping Flasks, because water, water anywhere!
Tanglefoot bags are always handy.
Thunderstones are useful.
Auran Masks. 10 minute water breathing and a +5 fort vs inhaled toxins for 60g? Yes please!
And someplace I know I've seen explosives based on alchemy. Can't remember where.