PDA

View Full Version : Things to Know

Valairn
2007-05-22, 10:25 AM
I wanted to get a list of common knowledge items, or at least commonly accepted wisdom in this forum, so that people can come in here and look and we won't have to answer the same questions over and over and over.

For instance the common understanding of what CoDZilla is, or artificers cheesiness.

I see a lot of new people around the forums lately, and I welcome them all with open arms, but they routinely ask questions, or state opinions that often end up in repeating the same arguments that we have had time and time again. And I would like to set up a post, maybe even get it stickied or all the common wisdom.

I'll be compiling a list going over it and making a better post later. Help would be wonderful. For instance even if all you have is a link to a solid post about why some such class is better than some other, or why monks are subpar or anything like that, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 10:40 AM
Lets start a list of commonly used Abbreviations then, and not so commonly used.

BaB - Base attack Bonus

MAD - Multiple ability Dependency (Or disorder) refers to requiring Multiple abilities to run effectively.

IOSFV or IOSFOV - Initiate of the SevenFold Vail.

BoVD - Book of Vile Darkness

BoED - Book of exalted Deeds.

C(Letter) - Complete books. (CW - Complete Warrior, CC - Complete Champion, ect.)

MoM - Master of Masks

CoDzilla - Cleric or Druid Zilla, refers to an very powerful build of either a Cleric or Druid.

Valairn
2007-05-22, 10:42 AM
Actually there already is an abbreviation post.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512

For reference.

hewhosaysfish
2007-05-22, 10:47 AM
Lets start a list of commonly used Abbreviations then, and not so commonly used.

Dude, it's stickied... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)

I think the OP was more interested in the widespread theories, popular opinions, famous builds, alignment arguments, etc. rather than simple terminology.
An encyclopedia rather than a dictionary, if you want to look at it that way.

To the OP: Yeah.... good luck with that... and when your done, Hercules has some odd-jobs he needs a hand with...

Edit: Curses! Ninjas!

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-22, 10:48 AM
Corncracker: Actually, what he's proposing would be more like an abridged "Simple Q&A By The RAW" compendium. He isn't trying to duplicate our stickies.

... unless you weren't being sarcastic, that is.

Valairn
2007-05-22, 01:08 PM
One of the primary goals is to create a thread of knowledge so that when someone comes into a post for instance and says, OMG MONKS ARE SO OVERPOWERED. We can point them to this post, which can be a collection of links to good discussions or simple abridged versions of those discussions. I'm willing to put a lot of work to make this happen.

GiTP is a wonderful community, and having a "go here" post for people who come in with easily falsifiable ideas and either get made to feel stupid, or other negative things, it would be most wonderful to have a post of good information for people to go, OH that's why monks are subpar or archivists are silly good.

Mainly I'm just trying to compile a selection of important discussions that will get people "up to speed" so they can feel like real contributers.