PDA

View Full Version : What can I add to my curry to make it spicier without changing the base flavor?

Peelee
2015-10-11, 08:13 PM
I finally got a great recipe for chicken kurma, so we don't have to go to our curry restaurant every time we get the a hankerin' for it. Problem is, my wife likes it exceedingly spicy, while i like it mild. What could i add in to the pot to spice the hell out of it after pouring myself a bowl, that wouldn't alter the underlying kurma flavor?

factotum
2015-10-12, 02:26 AM
Korma is supposed to be mild...maybe suggest your wife has a vindaloo instead? :smallwink:

I don't know of anything that will do as you ask, unfortunately--all the spicing agents I can think of are quite strongly flavoured. I think the actual spice in a korma comes from cumin and coriander, though, maybe adding a bit more of that wouldn't change the flavour too much?

Douglas
2015-10-12, 03:44 AM
Pure capsaicin would undoubtedly be overkill for this, but there are a lot of specialty "just for the heat" sauces out there. Try googling a bit, and pay attention to Scoville spiciness ratings. The extreme upper end of the scale will come up as "food additives" rather than "hot sauce" if you think going that far is justified, but those are so hot that a single drop of some of them can make an entire large pot of something inedibly spicy for an average person.

Peelee
2015-10-12, 10:19 AM
Korma is supposed to be mild...maybe suggest your wife has a vindaloo instead? :smallwink:

I don't know of anything that will do as you ask, unfortunately--all the spicing agents I can think of are quite strongly flavoured. I think the actual spice in a korma comes from cumin and coriander, though, maybe adding a bit more of that wouldn't change the flavour too much?
Americans scoff at your silly British ideals of "X curry should be mild/spicy." You go in an Indian restaurant, order up your curry, and tell them how spicy you want it, and they will freaking deliver. I'm all about the mild kurma, but my wife loves the flavor, while at "she cries while she eats it" spiciness levels.

Pure capsaicin would undoubtedly be overkill for this, but there are a lot of specialty "just for the heat" sauces out there. Try googling a bit, and pay attention to Scoville spiciness ratings. The extreme upper end of the scale will come up as "food additives" rather than "hot sauce" if you think going that far is justified, but those are so hot that a single drop of some of them can make an entire large pot of something inedibly spicy for an average person.

I can get pure capsaicin, ya say? Also, thanks. Apparently I googled too specifically at first.

shawnhcorey
2015-10-12, 11:14 AM
Curry is a mixture of spices. But they all have three spices in common: cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. To make it spicier, add more cayenne.

Fragenstein
2015-10-12, 11:17 AM
I can get pure capsaicin, ya say? Also, thanks. Apparently I googled too specifically at first.

Here. This:
http://www.hotsauce.com//v/vspfiles/photos/1330MS-2T.jpg

Whether it's actually 1 million scoville or not, I can't say. I don't have access to any chromatography gear to verify the label, but it is quite dang hot. I'm currently topping out at about four or five drops in a good chille verde. I'm pretty sure that the extract is from bhut jolokia because it just doesn't have the heavy aftertaste that you get from habanero (as found in Satan's Blood,which I was using until my wife found this for me in an apparent attempt to cash in on my life insurance).

Meaning that it adds almost nothing but heat. You can still taste everything.

factotum
2015-10-12, 03:12 PM
Americans scoff at your silly British ideals of "X curry should be mild/spicy."

I thought they were silly Indian ideals, myself, and since they invented the curries in question you'd think they'd know how they're best presented... :smalltongue:

Peelee
2015-10-12, 03:20 PM
I thought they were silly Indian ideals, myself, and since they invented the curries in question you'd think they'd know how they're best presented... :smalltongue:

Psh. You know perfectly well that the British Empire saw what India did, and then said, "let me fix that for you.":biggrin:

I kid. I really love England.

Razade
2015-10-12, 03:25 PM

As a chef, telling someone how best to enjoy their food appalls me regardless of where the food comes from. If someone wants their food to be spicy they should eat it spicy.

tomandtish
2015-10-12, 11:51 PM
Here. This:

Whether it's actually 1 million scoville or not, I can't say. I don't have access to any chromatography gear to verify the label, but it is quite dang hot. I'm currently topping out at about four or five drops in a good chille verde. I'm pretty sure that the extract is from bhut jolokia because it just doesn't have the heavy aftertaste that you get from habanero (as found in Satan's Blood,which I was using until my wife found this for me in an apparent attempt to cash in on my life insurance).

Should you pursue this route, handle with caution. When you start hitting these levels it can cause skin discomfort.

A Dr. prescribed me some extremely high strength capsaicin ointment for a joint problem I was having. I rubbed some on my joints. Then (without washing my hands) I went to the bathroom....

I'm told it was not a manly scream.

Rodin
2015-10-13, 08:57 AM
Psh. You know perfectly well that the British Empire saw what India did, and then said, "let me fix that for you.":biggrin:

I kid. I really love England.

I remain eternally amused that India actually imports curry from Britain specifically to feed to the British tourists who are expecting a different sort of curry.

Peelee
2015-10-13, 10:06 AM
Here. This:
[snip]
This pleases me. Many thanks, sir!

Should you pursue this route, handle with caution. When you start hitting these levels it can cause skin discomfort.

A Dr. prescribed me some extremely high strength capsaicin ointment for a joint problem I was having. I rubbed some on my joints. Then (without washing my hands) I went to the bathroom....

I'm told it was not a manly scream.
This amuses me. Many thanks, sir!

I remain eternally amused that India actually imports curry from Britain specifically to feed to the British tourists who are expecting a different sort of curry.

This intrigues me. Many thanks, sir!

factotum
2015-10-13, 10:13 AM

I assume you're talking about chicken tikka masala, there? Invented in Birmingham, dontcha know--I really don't understand what anyone sees in the stuff, though, it has barely any spice and the actual sauce is pretty horrible, IMHO.

Peelee
2015-10-13, 01:28 PM
I assume you're talking about chicken tikka masala, there? Invented in Birmingham, dontcha know--I really don't understand what anyone sees in the stuff, though, it has barely any spice and the actual sauce is pretty horrible, IMHO.

You clearly haven't had it in the right Birmingham.

Brother Oni
2015-10-13, 02:28 PM
Here. This:

1 million? Pah, there's this stuff (http://www.udap.com/mm5/category/worlds-hottest-pepper-sprays) which is 3 million, although it's definitely overkill. :smalltongue:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2384_1277297417

Fragenstein
2015-10-13, 02:35 PM
1 million? Pah, there's this stuff (http://www.udap.com/mm5/category/worlds-hottest-pepper-sprays) which is 3 million, although it's definitely overkill. :smalltongue:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2384_1277297417

Is that aerosol? It looks like an aerosol, but I could be wrong. I've tried using those before, and they just spray my verde all over the table. Plus the propellant tastes like a gas station floor. Bleh.

Peelee
2015-10-13, 04:30 PM
Is that aerosol? It looks like an aerosol, but I could be wrong. I've tried using those before, and they just spray my verde all over the table. Plus the propellant tastes like a gas station floor. Bleh.

I think the stun guns would help me knock it up a notch, even without a spice weasel. Make the course a bit more electrifying, ya know?

Coidzor
2015-10-13, 04:39 PM
Mongolian fire oil might be of interest.

Fragenstein
2015-10-14, 09:27 AM
I think the stun guns would help me knock it up a notch, even without a spice weasel. Make the course a bit more electrifying, ya know?

I've always found that licking a 9-volt battery makes for an excellent palate cleanser.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-10-15, 05:36 AM

Invented in Birmingham by Indians. Just like California Rolls were invented by a Japanese guy in California Vancouver :smallconfused:, Chop Suey was invented by Chinese immigrants to the USA and Fish and Chips was invented by Italians in Scotland. Just because it was invented outside of the home country doesn't make it not authentic, depending on your definition of authentic.

Indian restaurant cuisine is derived from Mughal Court (eg Turko-Persian conquerers) food, rather than the very regional food actual Indians tend to eat. Indian Chefs have been basing their cooking off what pleases foreigners for a long time.

You clearly haven't had it in the right Birmingham.

There is no right Birmingham. The very concept of Birmingham is the platonic form of wrongness.

In the Roman Empire, all roads led to Rome. In Great Britain, all roads lead around (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravelly_Hill_Interchange)Birmingham.

Coidzor
2015-10-15, 05:30 PM
There is no right Birmingham. The very concept of Birmingham is the platonic form of wrongness.

It does have a very nice statue of Vulcan, though.

Peelee
2015-10-15, 05:54 PM
It does have a very nice statue of Vulcan, though.

Live long and prosper.

Cakesnizzles
2015-10-15, 08:18 PM
chili peppers...

noparlpf
2015-10-17, 02:15 PM
Curry is typically based on cumin, turmeric, and coriander, plus various other things including peppers. I don't find cumin to be particularly spicy, myself. I don't make much curry, but I eat a lot of chili and I use cumin in mine. Not sure about turmeric or coriander, but I don't think either is considered hot. For a lot of heat, I'd suggest adding a bit of powdered cayenne/red pepper.

NotScaryBats
2015-10-17, 02:20 PM
You can use chili pepper to make it spicy. I don't think it changes the flavor much. Its called Asian Chili, Chili pepper, or a bunch of other names, and is a small, dried, red pepper. You can buy it as a powder, and its what I use for adding spice to things.

Peelee
2015-10-17, 02:26 PM
Curry is typically based on cumin, turmeric, and coriander, plus various other things including peppers. I don't find cumin to be particularly spicy, myself. I don't make much curry, but I eat a lot of chili and I use cumin in mine. Not sure about turmeric or coriander, but I don't think either is considered hot. For a lot of heat, I'd suggest adding a bit of powdered cayenne/red pepper.

The kurma that I'm making is cumin, turmeric, and salt, with some onion, garlic, and ginger sautčed up before tossing the spice in. Then stir the chicken around in the concoction, add water, cream, and garam masala, and call it a day.

So far I've been using cayenne powder to spice it up, and it's been working well with only a very faint change, but I was pretty much wondering what other options I had, and if they were better. Probably gonna get some of Fragenstein's Pepper Extract (which I may just call "Fragenstein's" at home, since the actual name is a mouthful).

Coidzor
2015-10-17, 03:33 PM
The kurma that I'm making is cumin, turmeric, and salt, with some onion, garlic, and ginger sautčed up before tossing the spice in. Then stir the chicken around in the concoction, add water, cream, and garam masala, and call it a day.

So far I've been using cayenne powder to spice it up, and it's been working well with only a very faint change, but I was pretty much wondering what other options I had, and if they were better. Probably gonna get some of Fragenstein's Pepper Extract (which I may just call "Fragenstein's" at home, since the actual name is a mouthful).

In that case, making habanero-infused oil or using something like the aforementioned mongolian fire oil (http://www.amazon.com/House-Tsang-Mongolian-Fire-Oil/dp/B005K538YK) and adding it to the oil you use when you sautee it would be one way to increase the heat without altering the flavor that much.

Assuming that you don't make the oil too smoky or, worse, start burning the oil when you do it. You do not want to burn oil that has been infused with chili peppers.

Peelee
2015-10-17, 03:53 PM
You do not want to burn oil that has been infused with chili peppers.

You have my interest!

Traab
2015-10-17, 07:26 PM
Heh, reading the posts about high end stuff being a few drops to the pot always reminds me of my ramen noodle dishes. I take some ghost pepper sauce, coat roughly half a toothpick in it, then swirl it in the boiling broth of two packages (meaning 4 cups of water) of ramen. It basically brings me to the edge of tears but not quite over it. Unless I accidentally coated the toothpick too thickly. The basic flavor packs are just so boring, you know?

Peelee
2015-10-17, 08:43 PM
Heh, reading the posts about high end stuff being a few drops to the pot always reminds me of my ramen noodle dishes. I take some ghost pepper sauce, coat roughly half a toothpick in it, then swirl it in the boiling broth of two packages (meaning 4 cups of water) of ramen. It basically brings me to the edge of tears but not quite over it. Unless I accidentally coated the toothpick too thickly. The basic flavor packs are just so boring, you know?

Depends on the ramen. The Korean stuff we get - Shin Ramyun - is insanely good in the Black variety, and their spicy kicks my ass. Don't meed anything added in. Except an egg, of course. Poaches to the flavor of the ramen. Delicious.

Coidzor
2015-10-17, 09:24 PM
You have my interest!

Making pepper-infused smoke that you then breathe in and get in your eyes interests you? :smalltongue:

Yanagi
2015-10-17, 10:17 PM

Cayenne or some other dried red chili (Lal Mirch) would be your typical way of adding heat to an Indian dish.

Another option would be to dry and grind chili seeds, absent the rest of the fruit. The seeds tend to have a high capsaicin concentration but much less flavor than a whole dry chili. Restaurants sometimes do that for pure heat. Do it with a particularly hot chile type if you want: a good one to try--easy to find in store with Mexican ingredients, already dried--would be pequin chile, which is about 100K Scoville units.

Infused oil has been mentioned, and it's a really good idea. Oil does little to change the dish's texture, capsaicin is lipophilic, and the coating action of oil increases the experience of heat. However, most commercial chili oils have a prominent flavor--toasted chilis if nothing else but potentially any number of spices (cumin and ginger are present in "fire oil," while other varieties of the red-colored oil will also include Sichuan peppercorns, garlic, and/or star anise, etc). It's easy to make home-made, though.

You should see if you can get a sense of your wife's precise comfort level with heat, though. I eat a wide variety of spicy foods and am pretty inured to heat--not actually a chlilihead at all, just a coincidence of cutlure--and there are definite tiers to tolerance. Jumping above 300K Scoville units, a lot of folks don't find the heat fun anymore, particularly because it doesn't go away on schedule. Above 500K SHU reactions can be really intense and distressing. At one million Scoville units and above, you're basically pepper sprayed, and even if someone enjoys the heat, they're going to be impaired by the level of bodily reaction. There's also the problem of capsaicin not always being digested, so it passes through the bowel and ...you see where this is going, I hope. Super-high heat products are also harder to handle in the kitchen: transfer and spills can be a serious issue!

Brother Oni
2015-10-18, 01:15 AM
There's also the problem of capsaicin not always being digested, so it passes through the bowel and ...you see where this is going, I hope.

I've been told that leaving a toilet roll in the 'fridge especially for the occasion helps.

factotum
2015-10-18, 01:40 AM

Here's an idea: would marinating the chicken in something spicy for a while before adding it to the sauce have the desired effect? It would leave the sauce tasting exactly the same, but you'd be getting the extra spice from the meat.

Traab
2015-10-18, 01:12 PM
Depends on the ramen. The Korean stuff we get - Shin Ramyun - is insanely good in the Black variety, and their spicy kicks my ass. Don't meed anything added in. Except an egg, of course. Poaches to the flavor of the ramen. Delicious.

Yeah mine is just the cheap Top Ramen or Manchurian brands you can buy in the dozens for a couple bucks. They do have some tasty spicy ramen bowls but for the regular packages, I have to add my own seasoning. Even when i dont want hot I add seasoned salt, garlic, and onion to the broth. Not a lot, but a bit adds some good flavor.

noparlpf
2015-10-18, 02:30 PM
Coincidentally, I saw this today:
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/pivenkehrle/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpg

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/pivenkehrle/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpg