PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me with a crazy idea

Blue Duke
2015-10-11, 10:08 PM
i was playing Dawn of War (Soulstorm) as the dark Eldar and i was using a -TON- of the Hellions and it hit me that a Drow Hellion would be an entertaining character to play, probably Fighter/something or Ranger/Something with an exotic WP for a double bladed sword. i am sadly mechanically an idiot so.....is there a way to recreate the green goblin esque glider useing magic crafting and...how do i make the character even semi effective - i think the campaign i am planing to play the character in is level 5 at the moment.

P.F.
2015-10-11, 10:48 PM
A warning, you're probably going to be hard pressed to find anything in your price range at level 5 that grants flight for anything more than a few minutes per day, if that.

That said, the glider most closely resembles a flying carpet; they can be as small as 5'x5', but even the smallest costs 20,000 gp.

A custom item of command-word-activated fly costs 27,000 gp and works for 5 minutes 5 times per day. This is comparable in price to the winged boots which operate only 3 times per day, 5 minutes each, and cost only 16,000 gp. Arguably the glider takes up no item slot and would have to cost double.

Another good bet would be to refluff the flying broom, which costs 17,000 and grants overland flight (similar to the carpet) for up to 9 hours per day. If the refluffed item requires both a specific skill to use, and requires a specific class or alignment, it could cost as little as 10,710 gp. Perhaps if it were cursed or had some other limitation added, the price could be further reduced to something within your budget.

Blue Duke
2015-10-12, 12:06 AM
the wingboard can come later, i am mostly concerned with feats and such to be combat effective until i can get a wing board.

SangoProduction
2015-10-12, 12:14 AM
i was playing Dawn of War (Soulstorm) as the dark Eldar and i was using a -TON- of the Hellions and it hit me that a Drow Hellion would be an entertaining character to play, probably Fighter/something or Ranger/Something with an exotic WP for a double bladed sword. i am sadly mechanically an idiot so.....is there a way to recreate the green goblin esque glider useing magic crafting and...how do i make the character even semi effective - i think the campaign i am planing to play the character in is level 5 at the moment.

As far as effective characters, Fighter and Ranger are among the ones that you probably want to avoid for the most part, as well as most exotic weapons, and especially double weapons. Drow also kinda hurts with that LA, and gives little that a melee guy would want and takes away from Constitution. A few cantrips could be gotten by a sorcerer or wizard dip instead of a +2 LA, and it even has the benefit of increasing hit dice, and saves and such. Yeah, 3.5 doesn't like letting non-mages have anything fun. I'd go to 4e if I wanted to play a non-mage.

Don't get me wrong, if you know your campaign is going to be centered around very few types of creatures, ranger....well, they get +2 to damage and a few skill checks vs them....every 5 levels. OK, still garbage. A one, or even 2 level dip in to fighter could be useful to get Two Weapon Fighting and Exotic Weapon Proficiency, if you want it.

If you look in to Tome of Battle (the proto-4e), you'll find some classes that basically get martial spells which let them be more effective, generally, than any other martial class (still nowhere near the level of real spell casters in 3.5, but still).

I'd avoid Uber-charger builds as they truly are one-trick-ponies, but do what they do (ie. damage) so well, that most DMs would ban them, unless they are aware of the tier system...and then they probably still ban them, but look on in pity at the poor non-caster.

SangoProduction
2015-10-12, 12:25 AM
Now that that's out of the way, I'll give you a build that...well, it'll do what you say you want other than really be effective.

Samurai 2
Yes. It's a tier 6 class, but if you can convince your GM to let the EWP apply to your double blade instead, and similarly with the Two Weapon Fighting, then it's the exact same as taking Fighter 2, except now those 2 bonus fighter feats can be spent on something else, if you want to go into fighter.

Rogue 3
Sneak attack damage. It's pretty much one of the incredibly few ways to make 2-weapon fighting even an option.

Feats (ignoring bonus feats):
Craven. Adds 1 damage per character level to sneak attacks. If I remember correctly, this adds half again your expected sneak attack damage per level. Even more so if you have levels in a class with out sneak attack progression.

And....that's basically it. Anything else you add, if it focuses on Dual Wielding, is not going to help (if anything it would make you weaker), and you can't really pick up power attack because your Attack Bonus is already taking a hit due to dual wielding, and you don't get the great ratio that 2-handers do. But there are some general feats out there that are pretty dope (especially from the Tome of Battle book).

Alternative 1:
Barbarian 5
You can dip in to a bit of the charger stuff with the Pounce alternate class feature at level 1, so you can always full attack, but not go all the way in to Ubercharger territory, and you'll probably be fine at most tables.
Other than that, pump strength and rage.

Feats:
EWP and Two Weapon Fighting

Maybe eventually go into whirling berserker, and take power attack (and cleave sense it's a prerequisite).

Alternative 2:
Rogue 5:
more sneak attack, and you didn't "need" the bonus feats from samurai anyway.

Feats: As mentioned in the first bit section.