PDA

View Full Version : Warpriest of Nethys...what does that look like? What about of Socothbenoth?

Zhentarim
2015-10-12, 12:20 AM
Warpriest of Nethys...what does that look like? What about of Socothbenoth?

Zhentarim
2015-10-12, 09:47 AM
I mean, if you follow Nethys, how would that be played in game?

Eldan
2015-10-13, 03:51 AM
Well, I don't really know al that much about her. She's married to Set, and it doesn't seem to happy a marriage, given that he tried killing her children. She's in the Ennead of Aunu, though, so at least bits are known. One of her titles is "the useful goddess" and it seems she was relatively commonly called upon for protection, at least, and she does have the role of symbolic mother of the Pharaoh and protector of the soul during the funerary rites and in the journey to the underworld.

As for priests, well, given her role, I'd assume they'd be called upon for blessings, especially of the recently diseased. That said, Egyptian priests really didn't do much of the things we associate with priests today, like preaching. They were primarily responsible to their gods, not their congregation and their main duty was to perform services to the god, to ensure they would bestow their favour upon the land and uphold balance. This included regularly reading sacred texts from memory in front of the statues, as well as doing things like feeding and washing those statues symbolically. Most importantly, they would wake the spirit of the god in the morning.

Also, quite importantly, the priests weren't necessarily full time, serving for a few months every year and holding down another job (often as a bureaucrat) for the rest.

Ritual purity was quite important for priests on duty. They had lists of taboos, certain clothes, certain foods, etc, and had to wash often and elaborately.

LibraryOgre
2015-10-13, 10:01 AM
You might track down the 2e AD&D supplement Powers and Pantheons. It had a large amount about the "Mulhourandi Pantheon", which was the Egyptian Pantheon ported to FR.

Psyren
2015-10-13, 12:42 PM
I assume based on "Warpriest" that you're asking about Pathfinder and Golarion's Nethys, but if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

Are you asking about mechanically, how would you build such a character? Fluff- wise, what their motivations and personality might be like? What Nethys' or Socoth's attitudes to such an individual would be? Something else?

Eldan
2015-10-13, 01:16 PM
Oh, right. The question was asked in Friendly banter first, which is why I replied with real world mythology.

Zhentarim
2015-10-14, 10:24 PM
I assume based on "Warpriest" that you're asking about Pathfinder and Golarion's Nethys, but if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

Are you asking about mechanically, how would you build such a character? Fluff- wise, what their motivations and personality might be like? What Nethys' or Socoth's attitudes to such an individual would be? Something else?

My original intent with the question was moreso fluff-wise, though comments on build would be a nice bonus.