PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Witches, Wizards, Sorcerers & Spellcasting: Dos and Don'ts

ThinkMinty
2015-10-12, 07:18 AM
I do these "dos n' don'ts" threads once in a while, so I figure why not ask 'bout spellcasters n' spellcasting.

So, what're the things y'all like or dislike about the arcane arts and those who practice such?

NOTE: This is less about the mechanics of any particular system as it is about magic users and storytelling/fluff.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-12, 07:33 AM
Do cast spells

Don't get stabbed

There's so much variance between what a wizard (and similar) is between different systems that it's difficult to actually answer this question.

snowblizz
2015-10-12, 07:45 AM
Do cast spells.

Don't ruin the character building journey of self-discovery with: Teleport! So what now we attack the final boss dragon? Guys?

HolyCouncilMagi
2015-10-12, 10:12 AM
Don't get stabbed
Unless it's Mage: the Awakening or similar, in which case it changes to
Do: Pretend you care about getting stabbed for the emotional benefit of non-awakened compatriots.

There's so much variance between what a wizard (and similar) is between different systems that it's difficult to actually answer this question.
This, however, is really the correct answer. This isn't as easy of a Do and Don't as the others because there's so much variance. I mean, actual spellcasting isn't even a constant in the spellcaster archetype! That's how big and wobbly that name is. It describes way too many things.

Let's see if I can't worm out some semi-constants.

Do: Pay attention to the needs and feelings of the non-magical folk even when it would make sense for you to be able to ignore them without issue, because for some blasted reason karma always finds a way to make their pitiful attempts at retribution actually problematic.

Unless you're playing one of the many games in which mages lording over non-mages is not applicable anyway.

Don't: Pretend you're the biggest fish in the whole sea just because you're bigger than those nearby.

Unless you're playing Exalted or Ars Magica or high-op D&D or... All those games where omnipotence is a prerequisite for "worthy opponent" status.

Don't: Go nova all the time. You'll just tire out your magical energy before an important fight, make your mundane allies feel useless, and the Great GM in the Sky will up the challenge of the encounters so your nova'ing doesn't auto-win them, thus preventing you from ever not nova'ing in the future.

Unless you're playing Ars Magica or Exalted or Fantasy d6, where managing a resource like "mana" or "spell slots" is either an entirely nonexistent issue or so easy to work with that you don't have to care about it, and where mundanes really are useless around your magic-users, and the game is already balanced around you spamming magic. Or as balanced as you can call some of them, anyway.

Piedmon_Sama
2015-10-14, 02:46 AM
This is a tough one bud; almost more than any other campaign element, magic has many possible portrayals that can be fun in a given campaign.

DO: Explain to your players how magic works in your world before the campaign proper begins. How you envision its availability, its visible impact on the setting and the cultural psyche, and the type of people who will tend to practice it.

DON'T: Try to combine "low" and "high" magical areas in one setting. Mechanically it's just a nightmare, one or both regions will be completely broken and unfun to play depending on your set of rules.

Thisguy_
2015-10-16, 12:00 PM
DO: Specialize.

DO NOT: Solve everything yourself.

This might be a personal thing, and definitely doesn't apply if you're playing a game where the object is to become the most POWERFUL WIZARD IN THE COSMOS, but I've never liked the idea of playing a "solves all problems at the cost of a spell slot" caster. I like to play casters who have something cool that they can do, and, if only due to pure personal (for the character) reasons, mostly do it to the exclusion of other things.

Make your wizard a magic rogue; take invisibility spells and zip about trying to stab (or magic-stab) people once you have the drop on them.

Make your wizard for support, improving his friends' physical prowess.

Make your wizard THE MOST POWERFUL blaster IN THE COSMOS, who is capable of damage within the numeric range of "Yes" but not much else.

GIVE HIM A BLOODY THEME. But don't play Batman, you'll show everyone up and solving EVERY problem with the same character makes a story boring. Having Batman AND fun in the same P&P game is tough.

But, if you THINK you can pull off batman...

DO: Hold back. Batman is dangerous. Batman is cool. Batman is at his most interesting when he is covering his buddy's ass circa Justice League style, wherein he KNOWS he's the only one capable of something. (Well, he's also at his most interesting when he's going all character developy, but that's implied.)

I tend to prefer selecting a theme with my magic users and avoiding things outside of it. I played a NOBLE FIST-WIZARD at one point which was great fun.

Jormengand
2015-10-16, 08:01 PM
DO be honest about the fact that you're magical. DON'T try to justify it as "An extension of the laws of physics" or similar malarkey.

Milo v3
2015-10-17, 02:27 AM
DO be honest about the fact that you're magical. DON'T try to justify it as "An extension of the laws of physics" or similar malarkey.

Well, if magic exists in a universe it is by definition an extension of that universes laws of physics.

Lord Raziere
2015-10-17, 03:26 AM
DO: Specialize.

DO NOT: Solve everything yourself.

This might be a personal thing, and definitely doesn't apply if you're playing a game where the object is to become the most POWERFUL WIZARD IN THE COSMOS, but I've never liked the idea of playing a "solves all problems at the cost of a spell slot" caster. I like to play casters who have something cool that they can do, and, if only due to pure personal (for the character) reasons, mostly do it to the exclusion of other things.

Make your wizard a magic rogue; take invisibility spells and zip about trying to stab (or magic-stab) people once you have the drop on them.

Make your wizard for support, improving his friends' physical prowess.

Make your wizard THE MOST POWERFUL blaster IN THE COSMOS, who is capable of damage within the numeric range of "Yes" but not much else.

GIVE HIM A BLOODY THEME. But don't play Batman, you'll show everyone up and solving EVERY problem with the same character makes a story boring. Having Batman AND fun in the same P&P game is tough.

I cannot agree with this enough. This has all my agreement, and yet I still want to agree more.

Do: be careful of what you summon. "being eaten by powerful demon you thought you could control but actually couldn't" is a very common form of death amongst the more prideful sort of spellcaster.

Do Not: automatically cure the cursed PC's curse if its an important part of his story, sure the character may be happy but his player won't.

Also: the term "spellcaster" is only wobbly if you think it is. to me "spellcaster" only encompasses people who are explicitly casting magic while in robes or other such blatantly obvious magic people. you go too abstract with it, of course your going to get confused when you start thinking scientists or inventors are wizards when they are not. I personally don't care how soft the sci-fi or Clarkes Law quoted at me for the millionth time; a guy using a ray gun is not a spellcaster.

so, Do Not: say that inventors, scientists or other such people are spellcasters, that is too big of an umbrella!

Jormengand
2015-10-17, 08:20 AM
Well, if magic exists in a universe it is by definition an extension of that universes laws of physics.

Not really, so much as a method of circumventing them. Everyone knows, even in setting, what is magic and what isn't. Don't try to pretend they don't.

Milo v3
2015-10-17, 08:24 AM
Not really, so much as a method of circumventing them. Everyone knows, even in setting, what is magic and what isn't. Don't try to pretend they don't.

If it exists in a setting, then it must be able to exist in the setting. Thus, it is a matter of physics. There is no reason why it's physics can't overrule default states of the physics in the setting. The "Everyone knows, even in setting, what is magic and what isn't. " is also ridiculously setting specific, many settings have no boundary between normal and supernatural, like Exalted.

LudicSavant
2015-10-17, 11:38 AM

Magic and non-magic can be separate, distinct categories, and still both be part of the laws of physics of the world. Dogs and rocks are different. The behavior of either can be observed to derive principles of physics.

The laws of physics are not some mystical set of rules that apply only to some phenomena and not others. They are simply the rules by which matter and energy in the universe operates. We derive our understanding of these rules from observing events in the world. So if I go out and I see a wizard doing something with bat guano and making a fireball pop out, I can then say that "if a wizard does something with bat guano, it can cause a fireball to pop out." And then the fact that a wizard with bat guano can potentially cause a fireball to pop out becomes part of my theoretical model of how the world works.

The fact that you can cast Fireball in the D&D world is just as much a part of that world's laws of physics as the fact that you can't cast Fireball in our world.

Zale
2015-10-17, 11:45 AM

I wouldn't recommend continuing this line of discussion. Jormengand has made it pretty clear that they have a very specific place to put the line of demarcation between magic/not magic.

Any attempt of discussion involving that is just going to turn into a twenty page argument about how ToB is magical.

I mean, if you want to do that go ahead, I'm just saying that's what this is heading towards.

On the topic of the thread, saying what a spellcaster should or shouldn't do is heavily dependent on the setting and mechanics. It's hard to make general guidelines.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-17, 01:16 PM

Physics are the natural rules. When you add magic, that'd be something that lets you get around it like some kind of counterphysics or something.

They'd still probably study the rules of magic in a setting, though, probably even with labcoats and the scientific method. Universities would have arcane arts programs n' stuff.

LudicSavant
2015-10-17, 01:26 PM
Physics are the natural rules. When you add magic, that'd be something that lets you get around it like some kind of counterphysics or something.

When you add magic, magic would actually be part of the natural rules, in the sense of the word "natural" as it is used in scientific contexts such as "natural law." In D&D worlds, magic is a phenomena which occurs. Therefore, the way magic works defines natural law the same way any other event does.

Any given phenomena can't contradict natural law, because whatever occurs determines what natural law is.

The definition of "nature" used in the context of scientific terms like "natural law" is this one:

the universe, with all its phenomena:
Conservation of energy is a universal law of nature.

So, when people are saying things like "magic is violating the natural laws" or "magic is breaking the laws of physics" there's no argument to be had there... they're just using the terms wrong.

People in the D&D world have no way of arriving at our version of the laws of physics where Fireball spells and Manticores can't exist, because they live in a world where they do exist. They would have their own version which describes the phenomena of their universe, not ours.

Jormengand
2015-10-17, 06:18 PM
My point is that you shouldn't try to claim that magic isn't really magic because "It follows this universe's laws of physics," even though it breaks the laws that 99.99999% of everything in that universe obeys.

Milo v3
2015-10-17, 06:49 PM
My point is that you shouldn't try to claim that magic isn't really magic because "It follows this universe's laws of physics," even though it breaks the laws that 99.99999% of everything in that universe obeys.

Though my original point was one primarily semantics in nature, because people misuse the word "physics" in discussions about magic and it annoys me, this statement is very very very very setting specific. I mean, there is no reason wizards/witches/sorcerers/other spellcasters cannot simply study the physics of their world and use that knowledge to do magic (D&D wizards function in this way for example). Magic is simply a type of physics in fantasy worlds, doesn't mean it's not magic (well, not until you get to the definition of supernatural step).

Vitruviansquid
2015-10-17, 07:11 PM
DO: Use magic to be mysterious, powerful, and fantastical. Let magicians do truly wondrous feats that are the results of a lifetime of study, practice, and living by strange laws dictated from the position of celestial bodies, the flow of energy along ley lines, and the inscrutable will of the cosmos.

Don't: Rob magic of its wonder by over-explaining it.

Mastikator
2015-10-17, 08:48 PM
Don't out-damage the fighter while out-utility-ing the rogue and also doing mystical stuff that they could even hope to do. There is such a thing as stepping on someone else's toes, then there's stomping on everyone.

Do discover the mysteries of the ether and use it to your advantage.

LudicSavant
2015-10-17, 10:07 PM

That's not the part I'm disagreeing with. It can be really magic, and it would still be part of the universe's laws of physics, by virtue of existing, by definition. 'S all I'm sayin'. :smallsmile:

Cackling Poop
2015-10-18, 01:14 AM
DO: Figure out a way to enchant/create magical items in a way that is not complete dogpoop.

DO NOT: make wizards and witches just "generically magical" cuz that's uninteresting. Come up with a way to explain how spellcasters became spellcasters instead of just saying, "Uh, yeah, they're just kinda...uh...magical....cuz...uh, yeah. Cuz the mage archetype needs to exist in my world for...reasons."

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 04:59 AM
That's not the part I'm disagreeing with. It can be really magic, and it would still be part of the universe's laws of physics, by virtue of existing, by definition. 'S all I'm sayin'. :smallsmile:

It's just that, far too many times I've seen people justifying some of the more stupid ToB stuff (Extraordinary teleportation? Extraordinary exerting more energy than every car in existence does per year, as a standard action (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19879320&postcount=136)? Come off it) by saying "Well, it's the laws of this universe, so that means it's not magical, right?" No. It doesn't. Please stop saying these things to me.

Milo v3
2015-10-18, 05:02 AM
It's just that, far too many times I've seen people justifying some of the more stupid ToB stuff (Extraordinary teleportation? Extraordinary exerting more energy than every car in existence does per year, as a standard action (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19879320&postcount=136)? Come off it) by saying "Well, it's the laws of this universe, so that means it's not magical, right?" No. It doesn't. Please stop saying these things to me.

Thing is, everyone agrees that the teleporting Should be supernatural. Doing things that are just Normal Stuff + extra strength is allowed the "Well, it's the laws of this universe, so that means it's not magical" excuse to be non-magical in the same way giant insects are allowed. But yes, magic is Often distinct from non-magical in fantasy settings.

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 05:16 AM
Thing is, everyone agrees that the teleporting Should be supernatural.

Only they don't. That's the bit that annoys me. We had a ridiculous argument a while back where people insisted that flight without special equipment is mundane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18037285&postcount=202) even though this would require ungodly amounts of energy and probably destroy the surrounding countryside (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18037405&postcount=205), while we have other people trying to argue that all spells are actually scientifically explicable and me banging my head against the desk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18039282&postcount=271). By the end of it, Raven777 sums up what almost everyone else must have been thinking far better than I could (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18039965&postcount=305).

Milo v3
2015-10-18, 05:25 AM
Only they don't. That's the bit that annoys me. We had a ridiculous argument a while back where people insisted that flight without special equipment is mundane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18037285&postcount=202) even though this would require ungodly amounts of energy and probably destroy the surrounding countryside (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18037405&postcount=205), while we have other people trying to argue that all spells are actually scientifically explicable and me banging my head against the desk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18039282&postcount=271). By the end of it, Raven777 sums up what almost everyone else must have been thinking far better than I could (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18039965&postcount=305).

... none of those had anything to do with martial teleportation (though I have seen martial teleportation that isn't "magic" as a level 20 fighter by cutting the plane, but they needed anadamantine weapon). I think you misunderstood things you linked as the things mentioned in them Aren't magic. Superman isn't magic. His power is not supernatural. It's ridiculous, but not supernatural. Also just because something might use more energy than would be possible in real life doesn't make it magic, because the settings physics obviously work in a matter that allows for it to function. Same type of reason you can have giant bugs, the ability for races to see 60 ft. in front of them in areas without light, or flying lizards the size of a house.

The "magic in DnD does not, in fact, break the rules of physics" statements complete bull though, I'll agree with you on that. :smalltongue:

Edit: To be completely honest, I always cringe when something is called Magic in a fantasy setting. If a mage is casting a spell that means spells Aren't magic in that setting.

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 05:34 AM
To be completely honest, I always cringe when something is called Magic in a fantasy setting. If a mage is casting a spell that means spells Aren't magic in that setting.

But everyone in the setting knows what it means for something to be magic or not magic. And everyone outside the setting, when they're honest about it, knows that too.

Milo v3
2015-10-18, 05:47 AM
But everyone in the setting knows what it means for something to be magic or not magic. And everyone outside the setting, when they're honest about it, knows that too.

Please do not suggest people are being deceptive, it is rather rude for no ones benefit. Outside the setting, the line is not necessarily obvious. For example, with the superman thing, why Isn't Superman supernatural when his abilities are effectively magic? Because we are told that it isn't, that is the only reason. In D&D dragons do not fly through magic, trolls regenerate non-magically, are psionics magic, in D&D there is a difference between Psionics, Incarnum, Binding, Truenaming, and Shadowcasting are separate to magic, but they are also all magic at the same time. Are undead magic? They don't detect as magic, they cannot be dispelled, they don't break apart when they walk into an anti-magic field, they don't require magic to be created, but they can move despite lacking any muscles or sometimes lacking a body at all.

Lord Raziere
2015-10-18, 05:52 AM
See, this is why I stick to the "spellcasters are people who explicitly cast spells using occult nonsense while in robes and NOTHING ELSE" definition. whats magic for one setting is completely natural for another, and its silly to call anything that doesn't work by the rules of real life Earth "magic" because there is a difference in setting between Goku and a DBZ spellcaster, as well as a clear difference between Superman and a spellcaster in his setting, so it makes no sense to call them both spellcasters when they are explicitly not spellcasters at all themselves compared to the foes they fight.

at the same time its silly to call absolutely nothing magic. because there are too many settings that use the word "magic" not to.

in short, if its called magic by the setting, its magic. if its NOT called magic by the setting, its not magic.

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 06:56 AM
in short, if its called magic by the setting, its magic. if its NOT called magic by the setting, its not magic.

It's this kind of thinking that leads to Ex teleportation, which is silly and defies the point of bothering to call anything magical or nonmagical in the first place. When I want to play a non-magical character, I want to play a character who can't do traditionally magical things like teleporting or throwing freaking fireballs, not one who can but it's just not called magic. That's silly and annoying and I dislike it.

Morty
2015-10-18, 07:11 AM
The word "magic" is useless without context. A lot of things that happen in a fantasy world, especially a higher-powered one, is magic from our perspective. In fact, many a fantasy setting is entirely magical from our perspective. Exalted's Creation, or the world of Elric of Melnibone that was one of its inspirations, are flat and surrounded by a swirling miasma of chaos. Discworld is likewise flat, and travels through space on the back of four elephants and a turtle. For us, that makes their entire underpinnings magical. For the people there, it's just a fact of life, like gravity and heliocentrism are for us.

Whether or not it obeys or breaks some "laws of physics" is therefore completely irrelevant compared to what it can actually do and what effect it has on the world. Whether or not a sorcerer's spells obey or subvert the some abstract laws doesn't matter nearly as much as what she can actually do with them, how many people can do the same thing and how other people view such an ability.

So, with that old chestnut out of the way - like everyone else said already, there are just too many variations of what magic-users can be. But I do have a rule that I feel is universal enough. I want magic to require specialization, and a personal bent. It shouldn't be just wriggling your fingers and having magical effects happen. Nor should a magic-user be able to do everything they're of high enough level (whatever "level" means in the context of a given game) for. "Wizard" or "cleric" should be the most generic category you can apply to someone.

Comet
2015-10-18, 07:32 AM
DO: be weird.

DON'T: do things yourself if there's any way to avoid it.

Spore
2015-10-18, 07:34 AM
Do: Try to cast spells outside of the given spell lists of your rules book. Just as a scientist tests the limits of physics you can test the limits of magic. The caster isn't (fully) aware that he is part of a game and shouldn't be restricted by formulaic spell descriptions.

Don't: Try to ruin everyone's experience by trying to break the boundaries of the game. Test them but if your DM tells you to stop, you can either provoke a roleplaying opportunity or stop.

Bonus: Wisdom may not be a casting stat for most arcanists but it should have a decent value. Mental stats are somewhat linked unless your character is mentally ill.

DON'T: do things yourself if there's any way to avoid it.

This somehow reminds me of bad saturday morning cartoon villains. Always send the minion the hero can defeat. Sometimes send a minion suited for the task unless the hero has a sudden change of heart that gives him the power to defeat the enemy.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-19, 06:00 PM
This somehow reminds me of bad saturday morning cartoon villains. Always send the minion the hero can defeat. Sometimes send a minion suited for the task unless the hero has a sudden change of heart that gives him the power to defeat the enemy.

What if the villain is really lazy, though? They're frighteningly powerful, but they're too bored because no one can provide enough of a challenge for them to bother.

...wait, I'm already writing about this.

Lord Raziere
2015-10-19, 09:58 PM
It's this kind of thinking that leads to Ex teleportation, which is silly and defies the point of bothering to call anything magical or nonmagical in the first place. When I want to play a non-magical character, I want to play a character who can't do traditionally magical things like teleporting or throwing freaking fireballs, not one who can but it's just not called magic. That's silly and annoying and I dislike it.

Silly Jormengand, I, nor anyone else goes with what makes sense, they go with what WORKS even if its nonsensical!

even if its magical, I don't want all magic to be spellcasters, you get what I mean?

I mean in Exalted, yes the Exalts use magic technically, but I'd only call the Sorcerers among them spellcasters. likewise, in Mage: The Ascension, the only Mages I'd say cast spells would be the Order of Hermes, mostly because all the other Mages would protest loudly that they don't, they do Science, or they hack the code of the universe, or they make and take drugs so that stuff happens, or sing to their god so that a miracle happens and so on and so forth.

likewise, I wouldn't call any supernatural martial artist a spellcaster. they punch, they dodge, they leap and be actiony and fast and furious, not say incantations or sit around reading books on arcane lore. "spellcaster" is a relative term. so is magic. I bet you the people on Star Trek wouldn't consider nonmagical teleportation ridiculous at all- to them, they use that sort of thing everyday and magic is just a silly word for something people didn't understand.

calling everything magical/spellcaster is silly, annoying and I don't like it as well so....this is subjective mate.

Thisguy_
2015-10-19, 11:32 PM
I tend to think of a spellcaster in broad but concrete terms:

A spellcaster is someone who casts spells regularly.

A spell is a distinct magical effect produced by a distinct activation circumstance. To cast a spell is to bring about the activation circumstance.

Magic is anything achievable by extraordinary people, which is largely unexplained, potent in its effects, and typically ritualistically practiced.

Alchemists are practitioners of magic, therefore, unless they explicitly use Earth-type chemistry.

Yes, this means I define psionics as a subset of magic; I like my definition and see no problem with psionics being a subset of magic at large. Wizardry would be a subset of it too, as would divine happenings and supernatural forces.

FlumphPaladin
2015-10-20, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't recommend continuing this line of discussion. Jormengand has made it pretty clear that they have a very specific place to put the line of demarcation between magic/not magic.

Any attempt of discussion involving that is just going to turn into a twenty page argument about how ToB is magical.

I mean, if you want to do that go ahead, I'm just saying that's what this is heading towards.

On the topic of the thread, saying what a spellcaster should or shouldn't do is heavily dependent on the setting and mechanics. It's hard to make general guidelines.

"Woe, woe, woe! O Apollo! O Apollo!"

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 05:47 AM

I'd like to see where people place those lines, though. The demarcation between magic/nonmagic is a different line than spell/supernatural action.

Also Lord Raziere your new avatar is spiffy.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-24, 11:43 AM
DO remember, that if your character has access to flight, to wear underwear.

DON'T get annoyed if the fighter aims at you for flashing the party.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 11:59 AM
DO remember, that if your character has access to flight, to wear underwear.

DON'T get annoyed if the fighter aims at you for flashing the party.

This is largely true, unless the witch is a reasonably attractive exhibitionist, in which case underwear is optional.

Grinner
2015-10-24, 12:07 PM
I'd like to see where people place those lines, though. The demarcation between magic/nonmagic is a different line than spell/supernatural action.

If you'd prefer, I can give you a couple threads where this topic has been discussed at length already. And failing that, I can probably dredge up at least half-a-dozen more.

Personally, I tend to prefer interpretations where "magic" is seen as being separate from physics, the two relying on very different forms of logic (i.e. being more metaphysical than physical). Ultimately, though, the word magic itself chafes at the very notion of clear, concise explanation.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-24, 12:13 PM
This is largely true, unless the witch is a reasonably attractive exhibitionist, in which case underwear is optional.

I guess this would allow White Haired Witches to use certain abilities with more ease. Of course, with such varied tastes, everyone is somebody's fetish, so everyone gets to be naked.

DO use your magic creatively.

DO know how the spells work, in character and out, please.

DON''T assume that this means you can bend the rules on magic, especially when the mundanes don't get to bend such rules.