PDA

View Full Version : The Brawler

...Eh?
2007-05-22, 04:03 PM
Well, I started this a month or two ago, and it's orgininal purpose was to make a chaotic or neutral counterpart to the monk, but when I finally remebered that I had to finish this, it seems more like a really lame attempt to fix the monk. I dont want to start an argument about something I don't know enough about, so I won't take a position on how much the monk needs to fixed. This is my first time doing homebrew, and ti was fairly easy, probably because I mroe or less renamed a lot of the monk's abilities and didn't really think about being over/underpowered. So, critisism is welcome, as long as it's not "wtf nub dis usx."

The Brawler

Oh, a recruit fresh out of the academy and right into the city guard, eh? I suppose you feel intimidating in heavy armor and a nice big sword. It'll be fairly embarrassing to be going home in a body cast on your first day.- Julius Rockchest, brawler of Kell

Alignment: Any nonlawful

HD: d10

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Preform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int modifier (Times four at first level)

Brawlers are proficient with the gauntlet and the dagger. They are proficient with light armor.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Gauntlet Punch, Hail of Fury, Amazing Fistfighter, Battle Foresight

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Improved Bull Rush, Mettle

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+2|
+3|Toughened Mind, Stunning Fist

4th|
+3|
+4|
+2|
+4|Insightful Strike (Bull Rush), Catch Up

5th|
+4|
+4|
+2|
+4|Absorbent Body

6th|
+5|
+5|
+3|
+5|Improved Gauntlet Strike

7th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+3|
+5|Old Scars

8th|
+7/+2|
+6|
+3|
+6|Insightful Strike (Trip)

9th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+4|
+6|Improved Mettle

10th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+5|
+6|Insightful Strike (All)

11th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+5|
+5|Tough Blood, Greater Hail

12th|
+11/6/+1|
+7|
+5|
+7|Back Alley

13th|
+12/+7/+2|
+7|
+5|
+7|Pain Resistant

14th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+6|
+8|---

15th|
+14/+9/+4|
+8|
+6|
+8|Cuncussion

16th|
+15/+10/+5|
+8|
+6|
+8|Adamantine Gauntlets

17th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+6|
+9|Toughened Systems, Make Yourself Understood

18th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+7|
+10|---

19th|
+18/+13/+8/+2|
+11|
+8|
+11|Slippery Bastard

20th|
+19/+14/+9/+3|
+12|
+9|
+12|He's a Beast![/table]

Gauntlet Punch: When a brawler delivers a blow with a gauntlet equipped, he deals an extra point of damage.

Hail of Fury: As the monk’s Flurry of Blows ability, although this can be preformed in light armor, and with a gauntlet or dagger. The same applies to greater hail and greater flurry.

Amazing Fistfighter: As the Improved Unarmed Strike ability of the monk, but the more powerful unarmed strike damage also applies to gauntlets.

Battle Foresight: A brawler applies his Int modifier to his AC.

Improved Bull Rush: A brawler of second level gains the bonuses of the Improved Bull Rush feat, even if he or she does not meet the prerequisites.

Mettle: When a spell or ability offers a Fortitude save for half damage, a brawler of second level instead takes no damage on a successful throw.

Toughened Mind: As the monk's Still Mind ability.

Stunning Fist: While wielding a gauntlet, a brawler of at least 3rd level gains the benefits of Stunning Fist feat, even if he or she does not fill the prerequisites.

Insightful Strike (Bull Rush): A brawler of at least fourth level adds his Int modifier to his melee attack bonus when making a Bull Rush attempt.

Catch Up: At fourth level, a brawler can add 10 feet to his base land speed 1/day for one round.

Absorbent Body: As the monk’s Purity of Body ability.

Improved Gauntlet Strike: The critical modifier of a brawler of sixth level or higher increases to x3.

Old Scars: By seventh level, the brawler has so much scar tissue across his body that it has become naturally resilient to attacks. He gains DR 2/-, which improves by another two every three levels after seventh. (Tenth, thirteenth, sixteenth, and ninteenth.)

Insightful Strike (Trip): A brawler of at least eighth level adds his Int modifier to all trip attack rolls.

Improved Mettle: At ninth level, a brawler’s ability to resist bodily harm improves. He now takes no damage when he succeeds on a Fortitude save, and instead take half damage if he fails it.

Insightful Strike (All): At tenth level, a brawler adds his Int modifier to all his melee attack rolls.

Tough Blood: At eleventh level, a brawler gains immunity to all poisons.

Greater Hail: As the monk’s Greater Flurry.

Back Alley: A brawler of at least twelfth level has found himself in several sticky situations in a dead end, and has learned how to slip through the cracks when he needs to run. He can use the spell dimension door as if he were a caster of half his level, rounded down once per day, but only to get through a wall or other obstacle.

Pain Resistant: Having been used to so much physical pain, a brawler of at least 13th level now absorbs magic, as well. The brawler gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level + 10.

Cuncussion: At fifteenth level, a brawler can swing his gauntleted fist with enough force to severaly damage an opponent's brain, killing him instantly. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the brawler strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the Cuncussion attempt succeeds. The victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ the brawler’s level + the brawler’s Int modifier) or take 5 Int drain. Furthermore, if a melee attack targeted at his head (must be declared before the roll is made) succeds, he is killed instantly. If the attack roll was critical and the threat confirmed, the target is killed instantly if he fails the saving throw.

Adamantine Gauntlets: Any gauntlets wielded by a brawler of at least 16th level are treated as adamantine weapons. If they are actually made of adamantine, they ignore another 10 points of a weapon’s hardness.

Toughened Systems: By seventeenth level, a brawler is tough as nails, and considers getting old a harmless threat compared to some of the things he's been through. He takes no penalties for aging, although any penalties he has already acquired still apply.

Make Yourself Understood: A brawler of seventeenth level or higher has observed the body language of so many teams that he can fluently make himself understood with nothing but his body. He is treated as being able to speak any language, except that he cannot read or write any language he has not spent points in Speak Language to do so.

Slippery Bastard: A brawler of at least 19th level can take on an ethereal state for 1 round per monk level once a day. This can be spread out over many usages.

He’s a Beast!: A brawler of twentieth level is no longer treated as a humanoid for the purposes of spells or magic effects, and is instead considered a monstrous humanoid.

Spiryt
2007-05-22, 04:53 PM
Something is totally messed with attack bonus and saves.

# Sundering weapons with gauntlets is quite ridiculous... His fist would be destroyed instead of weapon. I know that this game allows sundering even with fist but making it more effective is not good idea.
# Too Beat Up to Care and CHarge trough : they are basically monk abilities you give to this class. Too beat have no sense, why brawler shouldn't age. Being constantly beated stops aging? Make aging faster, maybe. And charge trough cant be dimension doors. Give him some bonus to dam against solid objects, and allow him to strike objects on his way as free action only during the charge.
# Skull crack ? Yes you can kill someone with one fist strike, but whith axe it will be much easier anyway. So if nobody can do it with weapon, he shouldn't be ablle to do it with fists.

Overally, i dont know if he isn't litlle tostrong compared to other melee types. But someone more competent than me should judge this.

I mostly critisize, so at end i will say that I really like He’s a Beast! and Old Scars.

Khantalas
2007-05-22, 05:03 PM
Catch Up: for how many rounds?

AmberVael
2007-05-22, 05:11 PM
Catch Up: for how many rounds?
It's permanent. That way you can have your Brawler move faster and faster until-
"I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!"
So yeah, it needs a time limit.

ghost_warlock
2007-05-22, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the BAB and saves are a little messed up.

Stand Tough - is this essentially just a Fortitude version of Evasion? The street fighter PrC (Complete Adventurer) as a different ability with the same name. To avoid confusion, maybe just give the brawler Mettle instead (as hexblade from Complete Warrior).

Old Scars - meant to compensate for the monk's self-only healing ability? I dunno, it seems a bit funky as written. Another solution would be to just give the brawler the barbarian's DR progression. It would also solve some strangeness with He's a Beast! (see below).

Skull Crack - meant as a substitute for quivering palm? This ability needs a #/time period limit. The monk's is 1/week (for reference).

Too Beat Up to Care - yeah, like Spiryt said, the rationale for this is a bit weak. Also, "probably pretty stupid from all the concussions" directly contradicts with all the other abilities adding the brawler's Int-bonus to various attacks.

He’s a Beast! - meant to substitute for Perfect Self, but DR/adamantine is significantly better than the monk's DR/magic. Removing this and just giving the class flat DR #/- under Old Scars would be a better solution.

That all said, I really like the concept as I've, for a long time, had issues with the monk's "lawful only" fluff-restriction. Keep chugging away with it and it'll all come together. :smallsmile:

...Eh?
2007-05-24, 03:29 PM
Alright, I fixed most of the complaints (I think) other than the BAB and saves, which I have no idea what to do with. I would assume they need to be lowered, but to what?

Spiryt
2007-05-24, 03:58 PM
Alright, I fixed most of the complaints (I think) other than the BAB and saves, which I have no idea what to do with. I would assume they need to be lowered, but to what?

You know, not necessarily lowered, just should be like other classes.
Unless you are thinking about some very orignal denouement, this class should have full, 3/4 or half BAB. At the moment brawler has 4 attacks, like fighter, ranger or barb but little lower attack bonus. He probably should have BAB like monk - 3/4.

Khantalas
2007-05-24, 04:04 PM
How does a straight Brawler use the Slippery Bastard ability?

ghost_warlock
2007-05-24, 05:03 PM
Mettle: Traditionally, mettle applies to both Fortitude and Will saves, and there isn't an improved version.

Old Scars: DR 10/- is a bit much, I'd limit it to the same progression as the Barb.

Concussion: Still needs a uses/X limit.

He's a Beast!: I'd leave it at changing the character to an outsider (native). Monstrous Humanoid seems a bit odd (and Magical Beast would just seem inappropriate).

BTW, I fixed the BAB and Saves (adjusted for a few of the changes above):

The Brawler
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Gauntlet Punch, Hail of Fury, Amazing Fistfighter, Battle Foresight

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|