PDA

View Full Version : Astonishing tales vol 2: The tale of Haern

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-12, 10:20 PM
This is the solo adventure of the warlock Haern.

You talked your way out of the sanitarium which your family confined you to, to spare themselves the awkwardness of your unique way of seeing things. Being of a respectable family, mental illness is frowned upon, and they were ashamed. Knowing you were destined for greatness and that your home nation of Troezen was too uptight, rigid, and would never accept you, you decided to slip away. There was only one place open minded enough to accept you, so you made the 3 week journey across an ocean to the Iron City.

You had hoped to sail past close to the fabled flying city of Epimetheus, but only saw it at a distance, a golden mass reflecting the morning sun. Perhaps you'll visit it properly someday.

It was evening as you approached the Iron City by sea, first seen as a black, spiky mass nestled into the cliffs. More and more airships passed overhead, as flight paths converged from all over the world. By nighttime, you passed beneath the open gates beneath the fabled metal walls, and gradually heard music becoming louder.

Disembarking in the infamous Quayside district you emerge into street after street of packed, noisy saloons where all races intermingled. Sullen merfolk dangled their webbed feet off the docks, quickly smoking cigarettes before their skin dried out and tossing the stubs to nearby children. A halfling was spanking an ogre with a paddle, causing a distraction for drow and tiefling pickpockets. The sounds of every musical instrument imaginable mixed with drunken laughter, cheers, fights, fornication of every kind. This seemed like a place where your strangeness would not only be accepted, but welcomed.

I am home.

You stop to read some of the advertisements:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/96/fd/b6/96fdb6742091175f62a9aaffa9583531.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1196337378647239/

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 03:33 AM
This is the solo adventure of the warlock Haern.

You talked your way out of the sanitarium which your family confined you to, to spare themselves the awkwardness of your unique way of seeing things. Being of a respectable family, mental illness is frowned upon, and they were ashamed. Knowing you were destined for greatness and that your home nation of Troezen was too uptight, rigid, and would never accept you, you decided to slip away. There was only one place open minded enough to accept you, so you made the 3 week journey across an ocean to the Iron City.

You had hoped to sail past close to the fabled flying city of Epimetheus, but only saw it at a distance, a golden mass reflecting the morning sun. Perhaps you'll visit it properly someday.

It was evening as you approached the Iron City by sea, first seen as a black, spiky mass nestled into the cliffs. More and more airships passed overhead, as flight paths converged from all over the world. By nighttime, you passed beneath the open gates beneath the fabled metal walls, and gradually heard music becoming louder.

Disembarking in the infamous Quayside district you emerge into street after street of packed, noisy saloons where all races intermingled. Sullen merfolk dangled their webbed feet off the docks, quickly smoking cigarettes before their skin dried out and tossing the stubs to nearby children. A halfling was spanking an ogre with a paddle, causing a distraction for drow and tiefling pickpockets. The sounds of every musical instrument imaginable mixed with drunken laughter, cheers, fights, fornication of every kind. This seemed like a place where your strangeness would not only be accepted, but welcomed.

I am home.

You stop to read some of the advertisements:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/96/fd/b6/96fdb6742091175f62a9aaffa9583531.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1196337378647239/

having earlier decided on his cover story and made a disguise that fits he enters the establishment. (Disguise, fitting haircut, trimmed beard, and fitted his fine clothes to suit the Troezen highend merchants fashion)

Unless someone is very perceptive they won't notice a tiny creature fly in and scan the area for Haern.
Stealth 12+4 = 16
Perception 14/9 (advantage)+3 =17
All he notice is communicated to me telepathically.

Haern heads to the bar

"Barkeep I would like a glass of your best red, while you prepare your best room with a tub of tempered water and your best most beautiful woman to come scrub my travel weary body.

He sits down at the bar

"I will of course open up a tap in <insert rich mechant from Troezen> name as I'm here on business"

Hearn show the barkeep a letter of rights perfectly forged if you ask him, he is very proud of his work.
Deception: 17+5 = 22

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 09:33 AM
having earlier decided on his cover story and made a disguise that fits he enters the establishment. (Disguise, fitting haircut, trimmed beard, and fitted his fine clothes to suit the Troezen highend merchants fashion)

Unless someone is very perceptive they won't notice a tiny creature fly in and scan the area for Haern.
Stealth 12+4 = 16
Perception 14/9 (advantage)+3 =17
All he notice is communicated to me telepathically.

Haern heads to the bar

"Barkeep I would like a glass of your best red, while you prepare your best room with a tub of tempered water and your best most beautiful woman to come scrub my travel weary body.

He sits down at the bar

"I will of course open up a tap in <insert rich mechant from Troezen> name as I'm here on business"

Hearn show the barkeep a letter of rights perfectly forged if you ask him, he is very proud of his work.
Deception: 17+5 = 22

OK. 22 is for your papers right? Give me a roll for disguise.

Everyone is wasted, and its night time, so no one notices your flying minion. Not like they would care. They are used to seeing wierd **** all the time.

The barkeeper looks very impressed with your papers and presence. He clears his throat awkwardly.

"Ah... My apologies sir. Only cash is accepted hereabouts. Some of the finer establishments in sector 2 take credit. I have actually heard of Mr. Brinkley, I'm sure his credit is excellent, but I can't help you."
Just then you notice the coin pouch next to you, belonging to a distracted man with his leg under a woman's skirt and her leg on his shoulder. She is pulling him by his hair and jacket, and in doing so revealed his coin pouch which was kept beneath his clothes for security (which i recommend you do as well).

Action?

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 09:55 AM
OK. 22 is for your papers right? Give me a roll for disguise.

Everyone is wasted, and its night time, so no one notices your flying minion. Not like they would care. They are used to seeing wierd **** all the time.

The barkeeper looks very impressed with your papers and presence. He clears his throat awkwardly.

"Ah... My apologies sir. Only cash is accepted hereabouts. Some of the finer establishments in sector 2 take credit. I have actually heard of Mr. Brinkley, I'm sure his credit is excellent, but I can't help you."
Just then you notice the coin pouch next to you, belonging to a distracted man with his leg under a woman's skirt and her leg on his shoulder. She is pulling him by his hair and jacket, and in doing so revealed his coin pouch which was kept beneath his clothes for security (which i recommend you do as well).

Action?

Yes Im proficient with disguise kit. But to be honest I dont know how to make a save out of it as its "add proficiency to a check" but what check? So ill add it to deception.
Roll 10 + 2(kit) + 5(deception) = 17.

I communicate telepathically to Mads and asks him secretly to knock down something from the ceiling to create a distraction.

And as an action I try and nik the pouch. While the others are distracted.

Slight of hand: 16+4 = 20

It is very disappointing that I have to take my business elsewhere then. It could have been very profiting for you.

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 10:29 AM
Yes, disguise is a deception.

Mab knocks over a bottle. No one even notices, this place is wild. No additional distraction was needed, as this man.could not possibly Be anymore distracted in his life.

You lift the pouch and earn 10 gold.

"My apologies," says the owner. "Have a shot on me. Ill give you some advice. Don't leave the Quayside at night on foot. You won't make it out. That goes for everyplace else here, especially if you're from out of town. Be especially careful in the slums, Sector 1. Do not go there for any reason.

Youre now at Quayside District in sector 3 (he points to your map). If you really need to leave here tonight, I suggest taking public transit to sector 2. There are numerous inns and saloons, some of which may take credit. You can take a boat taxi down the canals, cable car, or airBus. There's a boat taxi right outside by the red crates. Good luck, sir."

did you get the map I emailed you?
Action?

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 10:46 AM
Yes, disguise is a deception.

Mab knocks over a bottle. No one even notices, this place is wild. No additional distraction was needed, as this man.could not possibly Be anymore distracted in his life.

You lift the pouch and earn 10 gold.

"My apologies," says the owner. "Have a shot on me. Ill give you some advice. Don't leave the Quayside at night on foot. You won't make it out. That goes for everyplace else here, especially if you're from out of town. Be especially careful in the slums, Sector 1. Do not go there for any reason.

Youre now at Quayside District in sector 3 (he points to your map). If you really need to leave here tonight, I suggest taking public transit to sector 2. There are numerous inns and saloons, some of which may take credit. You can take a boat taxi down the canals, cable car, or airBus. There's a boat taxi right outside by the red crates. Good luck, sir."

did you get the map I emailed you?
Action?

No you misunderstand me my good man, I will be taking my buisness elsewere, AFTER tonight.

Haern looks around with a smile

I will deffenitely do buisness here tonight. I will still require the room, bath and woman for service.

And with a sigh

Ill just have to spend from the minor cash stock I carry

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 11:16 AM
Ok. Deduct 5g gold, however, the refreshing experience gives You have advantage on your next sanity save.

The next morning you awake to maritime sounds of bells, seagulls, and ill mannered dockworkers from the quays below.

You apply your disguise (no need.to reroll) and as you head downstairs, you recognize a familiar voice....

"... escaped from a sanitarium. He's very dangerous, and may be in disguise. I only want to bring my cousin back so he can be treated. I would feel personally responsible if he hurt someone. He isn't well. If you see him, please send a messenger to notify me. I will cover the charges. Here is the adress of where Ill be staying." (Hear scribbling).

That was your cousin, Syrn Bloodweld. Hes a good fighter, and doesn't.give a damn who gets hurt, as long as he gets what he wants. Your family is very close knit. You wouldn't be surprised if more of your cousins are tracking you as well.

Action?

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 11:35 AM
Ok. Deduct 5g gold, however, the refreshing experience gives You have advantage on your next sanity save.

The next morning you awake to maritime sounds of bells, seagulls, and ill mannered dockworkers from the quays below.

You apply your disguise (no need.to reroll) and as you head downstairs, you recognize a familiar voice....

"... escaped from a sanitarium. He's very dangerous, and may be in disguise. I only want to bring my cousin back so he can be treated. I would feel personally responsible if he hurt someone. He isn't well. If you see him, please send a messenger to notify me. I will cover the charges. Here is the adress of where Ill be staying." (Hear scribbling).

That was your cousin, Syrn Bloodweld. Hes a good fighter, and doesn't.give a damn who gets hurt, as long as he gets what he wants. Your family is very close knit. You wouldn't be surprised if more of your cousins are tracking you as well.

Action?

Haern freezes in his tracks (Stealth Roll 6+4 = 10) atop the stairs. Trying to wait it out. A shiver goes doen Haern spine, he didnt know they would be here this fast.

If Haern is heard, he is out of sight though. He cast Prestdititaion to emulate a sound of cats running after eachother wheesing.

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 12:18 PM
Very clever. Syrn leaves. This early, the place is empty. You peek and see the owner with a notepad doing inventory, and a lady cleaning up the layer of beer and body fluid that covers the entire floor. The front door is open and there's a cool ocean breeze coming in.

Action?

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 12:39 PM
Very clever. Syrn leaves. This early, the place is empty. You peek and see the owner with a notepad doing inventory, and a lady cleaning up the layer of beer and body fluid that covers the entire floor. The front door is open and there's a cool ocean breeze coming in.

Action?

Haern feeling quite satisfied with himself, waits for he door to close and then he walks down.
And without a care in the world

"I thought I was up early, but didn't I just hear guests leave?"

Rubbing his belly followed by a stretch and a yawn

"I'll have some wine and breakfast"
And with a bright smile, as if remembering something funny

"eggs! I need some protein!"

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 01:49 PM
"Just someone looking for a Troezenian. Like I care."

Note that you can't necessarily hide your Troezenian accent. You can't tell if the saloon keeper suspects something or not.

He offers you the morning newspaper.

Last Friday, the Blackhoods incited a riot and destroyed a theater. Their feared leader, Hannah One-hand, was there herself! A government airship appeared to apprehend her, but was apparently sabotaged and destroyed, crashing down right on the street.

The.Blackhoods are a dangerous rebel group to be avoided at all costs.

More and more people are succumbing to a strange illness, which strikes the recipient with a bloodthirsty and frightening mania, causing atrocities of unspeakably violent horror. The University and Police are working as hard as.they can.

There are rumors of some individuals acting under the sway of mind control, mostly confined to the edges of the city, close to the walls.

The mysterious child kidnapper known as "The Snatcher" appears to once again be on the prowl, after a decade of inactivity.

The ingenious residents of Tintown, in the slums, have created their own mass water purifier. An anonymous government official claims: "the Iron City's water supply is already 100% safe to drink. There's no reason for.anyone to need a homemade purifier, which will likely have the effect of inadvertently poisoning our excellent water."

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 02:16 PM
"Just someone looking for a Troezenian. Like I care."

Note that you can't necessarily hide your Troezenian accent. You can't tell if the saloon keeper suspects something or not.

He offers you the morning newspaper.

Last Friday, the Blackhoods incited a riot and destroyed a theater. Their feared leader, Hannah One-hand, was there herself! A government airship appeared to apprehend her, but was apparently sabotaged and destroyed, crashing down right on the street.

The.Blackhoods are a dangerous rebel group to be avoided at all costs.

More and more people are succumbing to a strange illness, which strikes the recipient with a bloodthirsty and frightening mania, causing atrocities of unspeakably violent horror. The University and Police are working as hard as.they can.

There are rumors of some individuals acting under the sway of mind control, mostly confined to the edges of the city, close to the walls.

The mysterious child kidnapper known as "The Snatcher" appears to once again be on the prowl, after a decade of inactivity.

The ingenious residents of Tintown, in the slums, have created their own mass water purifier. An anonymous government official claims: "the Iron City's water supply is already 100% safe to drink. There's no reason for.anyone to need a homemade purifier, which will likely have the effect of inadvertently poisoning our excellent water."

Haern looks up from his paper, still trying to sound indifferent. To be truthful he hast stopped watching the barkeep so see if he had caught on, making reading the paper rather slow.

Who is this Hannah One hand I read about? Can you tell me about this riot? I dont want to be caught by chance in any of this!

Which brings to mind, could you arrange for a transport to the finer part of the town. To some of the finer parts of town where I can have my employer pick up the tap, but still have a good chance of finding girls of your quality. If you could advice me to 5 or so different places I can shop around.

(I hope you read my mail about a few changes to my sheet, ive also edited some of the things in my backpack). The new mail is inc.

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 02:30 PM
"The Blackhoods are anarchists and criminals trying to take away what we have." He doesn't know much else besides that.

He told you already where to find transport and suggests a few places in Triangle Square, marked on your map in sector 2. Transit via carriage, cable car, airbus, water taxi are about 2g. Or you can walk now that its daytime.

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 02:47 PM
"The Blackhoods are anarchists and criminals trying to take away what we have." He doesn't know much else besides that.

He told you already where to find transport and suggests a few places in Triangle Square, marked on your map in sector 2. Transit via carriage, cable car, airbus, water taxi are about 2g. Or you can walk now that its daytime.

Oh, I was sure it was possible to arrange for transport from door to door...

Haern looks disappointed

Well off to the carriage then, I would have prefered to be transported all the way though. But give me directions and I'll be on my way.

Haern tosses 5sp to the barkeep and looks out the window... Scanning for lookouts...

"ahh the weather seems fine, I might not ruin my clothes"

"I will let my friends know about this little gem..."

And with his best smile and a fitting salute he exits

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 03:16 PM
A carriage is private door to door transport. An employee takes your bags down and calls one for you.

The driver drops you off at Triangle Square, a large, famous plaza formed at the intersection of 3 avenues. People come here to shop, talk, have coffee, eat, or be seen and heard. Priests, politicians and salesmen shout their claims, while inventors display their latest gadgets.

You visit an inn and give the same story. Because.of your disguise.and papers, it was easy to make.a.deception roll. You're now.staying for free at the Brass Eagle. Don't over stay your welcome. You shop around, chat, eat, etc.

Perception roll please..

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 03:55 PM
A carriage is private door to door transport. An employee takes your bags down and calls one for you.

The driver drops you off at Triangle Square, a large, famous plaza formed at the intersection of 3 avenues. People come here to shop, talk, have coffee, eat, or be seen and heard. Priests, politicians and salesmen shout their claims, while inventors display their latest gadgets.

You visit an inn and give the same story. Because.of your disguise.and papers, it was easy to make.a.deception roll. You're now.staying for free at the Brass Eagle. Don't over stay your welcome. You shop around, chat, eat, etc.

Perception roll

My familiars perception also counts, unless he is packed away.

familiar Perception (it has advantage): 2/8+3 = 11
My perception: 12 + 1 = 13

Once im settled in I go to the in keepers office to arrange my stay for the entire duration.

Once in his office I get down to business.

My employer Mr. Brinkly has given me a few letters of rights, one of which Im expecting to use here its worth a 100gp, Ill have alot of must have items on the list, but if you can do it cheap, you have the change to keep for yourself.

Now here is what I need for my stay.

two very fine suits one of the latest Iron City fashion and one suit that blends the Iron City fashion with Troezen upper class.

Then I need an assortment of fine wines and foods presented in my room for visitors, along with some culture appropriate presents to bring to meeting and dinner parties. And if you can fine some tonic to enhance my negotiating abilities, ive been recommended something called a Von Strattons Tonic.

And lastly I need around 20-30 gold pieces to pay for whatever in the city. My employer and I are suprised by the lack of ability to use letters of rights as payment. It must be due to the riot by this One hand person.

Haern looks to the inn owner so see if he is taking the bait... and now for the last nail!

Ive calculated this will cost around 90gp but im sure a local could press the prices even further making this a very profitable exchange for you!

Haern takes a sip of from the wine no doubt served

Are you up for the task?

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 04:03 PM
OK. I gave you an automatic success to get a few.nights free. More than that will require two deception rolls (because you're making several requests). However, the first roll has advantage as you already established credibility.

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 04:14 PM
OK. I gave you an automatic success to get a few.nights free. More than that will require two deception rolls (because you're making several requests). However, the first roll has advantage as you already established credibility.

Okey: I made 5 3 rolls: (mistype)

Deception: first roll: 2/12 + 5 = 17
second roll: 8 and then I use a heropoint +1d6 = 5 = 18
third roll: 20! because I added von Strattons tonic as an edit the same time you posted. (but as its an edit thats late, you can ofcourse just rule it out)

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 05:42 PM
I used the 1st 2 rolls. No need for a third. Also where did you get Von Stratton and what did you pay for it ? I haven't released it yet.

Your story seems to work but the owner can't credit you more than 50 gold. Its still good considering all you have is a paper and a good story. Usually large credit lines require a pre existing relationship with the benefactor.

The owner thanks you and sends the bill to Mr. Brinkley via mail. It will take about 2 days to arrive in Troezen.

While you were being taken to the tailor to have your suit fitted, you pass an alchemist shop, where an ill looking, grimy old man is trying to buy medicine. It seems like the medicine usually costs 6 gold and now its 8.

Old man: "Eight goddamn gold? It was always 6! 6 gold is all the money I have, do you understand? Its either medicine or food. I dont even have a home. All my.money goes to medicine.and now you're raise prices for no reason, you **** sucker. Go to hell." Coughing into a tissue he leaves the shop.

Action or continue?

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 06:00 PM
I used the 1st 2 rolls. No need for a third. Also where did you get Von Stratton and what did you pay for it ? I haven't released it yet.

Your story seems to work but the owner can't credit you more than 50 gold. Its still good considering all you have is a paper and a good story. Usually large credit lines require a pre existing relationship with the benefactor.

The owner thanks you and sends the bill to Mr. Brinkley via mail. It will take about 2 days to arrive in Troezen.

While you were being taken to the tailor to have your suit fitted, you pass an alchemist shop, where an ill looking, grimy old man is trying to buy medicine. It seems like the medicine usually costs 6 gold and now its 8.

Old man: "Eight goddamn gold? It was always 6! 6 gold is all the money I have, do you understand? Its either medicine or food. I dont even have a home. All my.money goes to medicine.and now you're raise prices for no reason, you **** sucker. Go to hell." Coughing into a tissue he leaves the shop.

Action or continue?

Haern has a soft spot for sick people being swindled or not properly taken care of.

He grabs 3 gp from his holdings and with a slight of hand he try to PUT pocket: slight of hand: 3+4=7 If I succede ill hand him 3 gp without other people noticing.

and without more fuss continue

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-13, 06:13 PM
"Thank you friend. Decency still exists. I owe you one. What's your name?"

Which name do you give him?

Whether or not you tell him, he buys the medicine and leaves.

Keep in mind that having your familiar in view might make you more easily identifiable.

Ketiara
2015-10-13, 06:35 PM
"Thank you friend. Decency still exists. I owe you one. What's your name?"

Which name do you give him?

Whether or not you tell him, he buys the medicine and leaves.

Keep in mind that having your familiar in view might make you more easily identifiable.

"Im just a semi decent Samaritan"

My dragon being tiny almost look like a lizard. Im figuring he crawls from a resting place on my forearm to whereever I decide for him to spot stuff. E.g. on a coach he would hide on top of the canvas looking around.

Haern continue to the fitting of outfits.

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-14, 04:11 AM
A pseudo dragon is a remarkable creature, and definitely doesn't look like a lizard.

You get measured by a reputable tailor and pick a fabric that matches your style and current trend. It may look more or less like this, perhaps in a darker color more appropriate for a warlock

https://janeaustensworld.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/early-1800s-dandy.jpg

The suit will be ready in a few days.

You're also able to purchase any item in the phb in one of the many stores here.

You take a tour of other interesting areas, such as the artistic quinary district, as well as the University district, home of the world famous Academy of Arcane Sciences. You now have a familiarity with those 3 districts.

Its almost dark. You eat, bathe, watch a bard show. By then its late. Go to sleep or something else?

Ketiara
2015-10-14, 06:19 AM
A pseudo dragon is a remarkable creature, and definitely doesn't look like a lizard.

You get measured by a reputable tailor and pick a fabric that matches your style and current trend. It may look more or less like this, perhaps in a darker color more appropriate for a warlock

https://janeaustensworld.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/early-1800s-dandy.jpg

The suit will be ready in a few days.

You're also able to purchase any item in the phb in one of the many stores here.

You take a tour of other interesting areas, such as the artistic quinary district, as well as the University district, home of the world famous Academy of Arcane Sciences. You now have a familiarity with those 3 districts.

Its almost dark. You eat, bathe, watch a bard show. By then its late. Go to sleep or something else?

Yea I start working on another persona. And for that Ill start checking out possible marks, possibly some from the Academy of Arcane Sciences as that place seem like a good place to hide. So I try and spy on someone obviously from the Academy, learn what they talk about if I see an opportunity Id try and steal some documents/papers that could be forged.

I then look for medium stakes card game, (of course in another establishment then the one im sleeping in). I dont know much about cheating in cards, but my plan is to start a rumor during the game.

So sometime during the game I say most likely after ive taken a small loss:

"oh, this reminds me, I experienced a sore looser last night. I was playing card in one of the lower establishments, you know what I mean"

I wink and smile

"Anyways this guys Syrn Bloodweld he was called, comes in asking around about something, and then sits down to play."

I look around to see if I have their attention.

"Terrible player if I ever saw one. After he had taken a big loss to one of the other guys he gets up, start swinging his sword around threatening to kill us if he doesn't get his money back. Anyways he gets away before anyone can apprehend him"

and then just as quickly as Ive bought up the story I change the subject.

"Who's dealing?"

can I buy a vehicle? Can I drive a vehicle?

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-14, 08:14 AM
Yea I start working on another persona. And for that Ill start checking out possible marks, possibly some from the Academy of Arcane Sciences as that place seem like a good place to hide. So I try and spy on someone obviously from the Academy, learn what they talk about if I see an opportunity Id try and steal some documents/papers that could be forged.

I then look for medium stakes card game, (of course in another establishment then the one im sleeping in). I dont know much about cheating in cards, but my plan is to start a rumor during the game.

So sometime during the game I say most likely after ive taken a small loss:

"oh, this reminds me, I experienced a sore looser last night. I was playing card in one of the lower establishments, you know what I mean"

I wink and smile

"Anyways this guys Syrn Bloodweld he was called, comes in asking around about something, and then sits down to play."

I look around to see if I have their attention.

"Terrible player if I ever saw one. After he had taken a big loss to one of the other guys he gets up, start swinging his sword around threatening to kill us if he doesn't get his money back. Anyways he gets away before anyone can apprehend him"

and then just as quickly as Ive bought up the story I change the subject.

"Who's dealing?"

can I buy a vehicle? Can I drive a vehicle?

Give me an investigation roll and a persuasion roll.

The persona will take time to create. Did you want to assume the persona of an.actual University Member or just create false papers?

You can certainly buy and attempt to drive a vehicle. However, they are very expensive. The cheapest vehicles are small one person crafts (Armech carriage, , or tiny one man airships known as "kites."). Even then, its around 10k gold for a basic one. You might find a used or inferior model for less

Piloting a vehicle without the pilot background is possible.with a dex check, as long as you don't try any complex maneuvers.

Using.any special functions of a vehicle requires and.int roll..

A pilot can.add his prof bonus to any vehicle check (land, sea or air).

After being out all day shopping, investigating, and then gambling its quite late, past midnight, and you're getting fatigued...

Ketiara
2015-10-14, 08:26 AM
Give me an investigation roll and a persuasion roll.

The persona will take time to create. Did you want to assume the persona of an.actual University Member or just create false papers?

After being out all day shopping, investigating, and then gambling its quite late, past midnight, and you're getting fatigued...

Well I dont quite know whats possible. But if I could blend in as a university member by forging papers getting a robe and whatever is needed I would probably do that.

Investigation 15+0 = 15 EDIT: ups I dont have any bonusses to investigation.
Persuasion 7+5 = 12

Knowing that tiredness never amount to anything good I turn to bed and sleep in.

Ketiara
2015-10-14, 03:21 PM
Haern is now fully awake, he cant possibly sleep anymore! (Can he?)

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-14, 04:37 PM
From what you pick up in your.investigation, the University uses various magical protocol to maintain security. It is THE premiere magic school on the planet, and from what you gather, it seems like its out of your capabilities. All kinds of overlapping security, wards, traps, divinations, you name it. These people do NOT mess around, as there are state secrets and black project research going on all the time.

However, visitors are always welcome In designated areas!

Now, as for.Syrn Bloodweld, remember your family are.uptight Troezenian nobles and do not gamble (at least not openly).

Nevertheless, I understand the intent of your action is to slander his reputation, so Ill say you went ahead and spread.some.other.false rumors about him, such as.being devious, cheap, or worse, cowardly (the worst insult to a Troezenian warrior).

Later that night.....

A dreadfully familiar voice awakens you.

"Wake up, cousin. Shhhh... Easy now. No sudden movements."

He has one hand with a knife to your throat (readied action) and the other around the neck of Mabs, who is flailing helplessly.

This characters stealth modifier greatly exceeds both your and your familiars perception. For the sake of the story line, I went with a passive check.

"Tie him." He says to another man who is with him. He's a human, and you dont recognize him. He walks over to you and tries to start tying you up.

Your cousin will know if you're trying to cast a spell, and obviously, any sudden movements are also out of the question. He has you. However, you can try to talk to him.

Do you allow yourself to be tied? Do you speak?

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-14, 04:45 PM
By the way, you might have seen Syrn earlier that day at the plaza. Remember that perception roll?

Ketiara
2015-10-14, 04:56 PM
From what you pick up in your.investigation, the University uses various magical protocol to maintain security. It is THE premiere magic school on the planet, and from what you gather, it seems like its out of your capabilities. All kinds of overlapping security, wards, traps, divinations, you name it. These people do NOT mess around, as there are state secrets and black project research going on all the time.

However, visitors are always welcome In designated areas!

Now, as for.Syrn Bloodweld, remember your family are.uptight Troezenian nobles and do not gamble (at least not openly).

Nevertheless, I understand the intent of your action is to slander his reputation, so Ill say you went ahead and spread.some.other.false rumors about him, such as.being devious, cheap, or worse, cowardly (the worst insult to a Troezenian warrior).

Later that night.....

A dreadfully familiar voice awakens you.

"Wake up, cousin. Shhhh... Easy now. No sudden movements."

He has one hand with a knife to your throat (readied action) and the other around the neck of Mabs, who is flailing helplessly.

EDIT EDIT: im up for about an hour still, you cant leave me to sleep in this situation, so I hope you have time :D

This characters stealth modifier greatly exceeds both your and your familiars perception. For the sake of the story line, I went with a passive check.

"Tie him." He says to another man who is with him. He's a human, and you dont recognize him. He walks over to you and tries to start tying you up.

Your cousin will know if you're trying to cast a spell, and obviously, any sudden movements are also out of the question. He has you. However, you can try to talk to him.

Do you allow yourself to be tied? Do you speak?

What do I remember about my dear cousin... are we close, is he loyal to family or looks out for himself first.

These thoughts go through my mind the seconds before I allow myself to be tied up. And just before im forced do do anything. I sit down in the chair.

Cousin, no need for restraints, you have my pet in lockdown it seems, he is the most dangerous of the two of us. As far as we all should be concerned im your hostage.

Persuasion: Second 20! + 5 = 25

Now tell Syrn, why are you here?

EDIT;

By the way, you might have seen Syrn earlier that day at the plaza. Remember that perception roll?

Yes I thought it might be something like that, but hoped my disguise would cover it... all of this is meta, because I didnt see him so didnt change my actions.

Dr_Nimm
2015-10-14, 05:48 PM
From what you know of your cousin, he is very ambitious. Troezenian officers are drawn from the nobility, and its considered a priviledge. Much prestige and rank comes with distinguished service, and a promising political career once the fighting days are over. Syrn is a talented fighter, and has much more experience than you. He is loyal to his family, but in the context of his own and their ambitions. Your family just aren't very nice people. They all work together, but its to further their own goals of power. Troezen has a caste system which is also very religious. Your family is of the warrior caste, so they're all expected to be the creme de la creme of the fighting force.

As soon as you move to get up he digs his knife into your skin, pressing down on you. Then he snaps Mab's neck and tosses the body aside. "I TOLD YOU NOT TO MOVE! YOU NEVER LISTEN! YOU NEVER LISTEN, YOU DISGRACEFUL WRETCH! YOU," he tilts his head at the stranger. "Tie him. NOW! No more bull****. I am taking you home, where you belong, my sweet cousin."

Just then, you hear a grizzled voice at the door, harsh and cold as the sound of a shifting glacier.

"He's not going anywhere with you, nancy boy."

Everyone turns around, but not before your cousin pins you expertly, not moving the knife from your bleeding throat. You slightly tilt your head to see who showed up at the door. It is none other than the old man that you helped to buy medicine! He is accompanied by a rather handsome and athletic half elf and a little black boy wearing nothing but a cloth over his hips, decorated in tribal piercings and symbols all over his bare skin.

Do not reply in this thread. Move to this thread, read post #30, and begin! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450172-Astonishing-Tales-of-Urban-and-Wilderness-Adventures!&p=19951217#post19951217