PDA

View Full Version : Moonrat Question

CrazyYanmega
2015-10-12, 11:45 PM
One of my players wants to go to the moon in my D&D 3.5 campaign, so he can (a) put dangerous artifacts the party finds (The Shikon Jewel being the first) out of harms way, and (b) erect a pedestal stating "(character name) Was Here."

I immediately got some ideas about Mooncalves and Moonbeasts, but then I saw Moonrats. As most of you know, Moonrats gain intelligence and strength the more light from the moon they receive.

But what if the rats somehow got to the moon? How much buffing could they get from pure, close-range moonlight uninhibited by the atmosphere?

Seclora
2015-10-12, 11:59 PM
That is complicated. It's unclear, given the basis of their power being based on the phase of the moon, whether it is tidal, moonlight, or mystically based. If moonlight, then always as if full as long as on the bright side of the moon. If Tidal, super powerful because of the increased pull of the moon's gravity. If mystical, then proximity is irrelevant.

CrazyYanmega
2015-10-13, 12:31 AM
In the interest of funsies and giving my very powerful players a challenge, I'm gonna go with Tidal.

Inevitability
2015-10-13, 01:11 AM
How about making those moonrats the 'original' batch who with their insane intelligence managed to build a rocket to colonize earth? However, as the rocket travelled, those within slowly degenerated into simple rodents. Nowadays, those original rats look back upon the earthgoers with a mixture of respect, horror, pity, and disgust, but can't do anything about it as they will become like them when travelling to earth themselves.

With the PC's arriving, however, they might use the opportunity to bring their brethren back to the moon. After a bit of 'convincing' the players, of course.

Remember, on the earth moonrats are moderately dangerous magical beasts. On the moon? Insanely strong and smart tyrants.

CrazyYanmega
2015-10-13, 02:15 PM
How about making those moonrats the 'original' batch who with their insane intelligence managed to build a rocket to colonize earth? However, as the rocket travelled, those within slowly degenerated into simple rodents. Nowadays, those original rats look back upon the earthgoers with a mixture of respect, horror, pity, and disgust, but can't do anything about it as they will become like them when travelling to earth themselves.

With the PC's arriving, however, they might use the opportunity to bring their brethren back to the moon. After a bit of 'convincing' the players, of course.

Remember, on the earth moonrats are moderately dangerous magical beasts. On the moon? Insanely strong and smart tyrants.

Now that's what I call an idea!