PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spellthief + Fortunes Friend + Luck Stealer build help.

Toonic
2015-10-13, 11:04 AM
Hey everyone! Bit new to DnD and I recently decided to kill off my DM Created character to create my own.

However I'm having some issues creating my character in that I don't know what feats, spells, or anything else I should take, however I have a general idea of how I want him to be.

Basically, I wanted him to be a "Thief/Gambler" who was "Down on his luck". Chaotic Neut. character that would cheat while gambling and sometimes steal.

This is where the Luck based build comes into play. Below you can find a link to my current character sheet along side of any resources I've found while searching. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Character Sheet
www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=589831

Resources
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?231172-Mr-Lucky-(Fortune-s-Friend-Luckstealer-Fatespinner)

www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=7589.0

www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?44299-Jack-Of-All-Trades-Fax-Celestis-Guide-to-Spellthieves&

TheifofZ
2015-10-13, 01:43 PM
Well, what kind of help are you looking for?

Are you trying to go for flavor and power? More flavor than power, or vice versa?
What sort of build are you going for in and out of combat?
I can think of a dozen suggestions, but I have no idea which of them would be suitable for the build based on what you actually want to do with it.

Toonic
2015-10-13, 02:44 PM
Well, what kind of help are you looking for?

Are you trying to go for flavor and power? More flavor than power, or vice versa?
What sort of build are you going for in and out of combat?
I can think of a dozen suggestions, but I have no idea which of them would be suitable for the build based on what you actually want to do with it.

I'd say more flavor than power/even amount. Having a luck based build sort of leaves me limited in the power field.

In Combat would be more of a Rogue based/support role. Out of combat I'd be a "Trickster/Mischief Maker". Using my skills to get the better while gambling and cheating others out of their money/wares etc.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea? Sorry I'm still new to DnD so explaining what I'm thinking in terms that would work best for DnD is still hard for me.

Toonic
2015-10-14, 06:33 AM
I recently updated my Character Sheet. I had to play last night and the DM is giving me two more sessions to change my character (Next Sunday) as everyone in the group had "One Combat Session" to change whatever they'd like about their character and there was no combat last night.

So any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-14, 11:23 AM
UA's residual rebound: If you roll a natural 20 on a save against a targeted spell, it turns back on the caster as if affected by a spell turning spell. Works with touch spells. Doesn't work against area effects. But you have evasion. You'll be fine. Pair with dumb luck, which turns any save of a natural 1 into a natural 20. Add survivors luck to the batch for another reroll.

Good karma is best paired with combat panache. If you get hit, make a bluff check, and they hit one of their enemies next turn. Take deceptive dodge and combat expertise if this is the case, allowing you to divert attacks that miss to hit other opponents. Heck, if you still have feats, why not throw trickery devotion in there, so you can have two versions of yourself fighting defensively and causing havoc when enemies smash each other. Add gnome tunnel acrobatics if you never want to make an attack roll again. Obviously, you want to go martial rogue to get all the combat feats (dodge mobility combat expertise.) Consider tallfellow halfling for an extra feat.

Thinking out loud here:
Spellthief 6, fortune's friend 5, barbarian 1, rage mage 1, luckstealer 7
Tall fellow halfling
barbarian 1: feat feat
spellthief 3: luck feat
Spellthief 6: precocious apprentice
Fortune's friend 9: combat casting
ragemage 10
fortunes friend 12: dallan thaun's luck
Luckstealer 15: master spellthief.
luckstealer 18: feat

Ragemage will allow you to cast spells at your character level. Not exactly the feel you were going for. The weird wording of master spellthief and rage mage, might do something neat.

Let's try again
Spell thief 6
fortunes friend 4
luck stealer 10
You can use a stolen 3rd level spell to satisfy the casting requirements for luckstealer. What we need to do is find a way to get your 2nd level stolen spells to be bumped to 3rd level so that you can get all of fortunes friend's abilities as well as luckstealer's capstone.

Any ideas on that?

Toonic
2015-10-14, 01:34 PM
UA's residual rebound: If you roll a natural 20 on a save against a targeted spell, it turns back on the caster as if affected by a spell turning spell. Works with touch spells. Doesn't work against area effects. But you have evasion. You'll be fine. Pair with dumb luck, which turns any save of a natural 1 into a natural 20. Add survivors luck to the batch for another reroll.

Good karma is best paired with combat panache. If you get hit, make a bluff check, and they hit one of their enemies next turn. Take deceptive dodge and combat expertise if this is the case, allowing you to divert attacks that miss to hit other opponents. Heck, if you still have feats, why not throw trickery devotion in there, so you can have two versions of yourself fighting defensively and causing havoc when enemies smash each other. Add gnome tunnel acrobatics if you never want to make an attack roll again. Obviously, you want to go martial rogue to get all the combat feats (dodge mobility combat expertise.) Consider tallfellow halfling for an extra feat.

Thinking out loud here:
Spellthief 6, fortune's friend 5, barbarian 1, rage mage 1, luckstealer 7
Tall fellow halfling
barbarian 1: feat feat
spellthief 3: luck feat
Spellthief 6: precocious apprentice
Fortune's friend 9: combat casting
ragemage 10
fortunes friend 12: dallan thaun's luck
Luckstealer 15: master spellthief.
luckstealer 18: feat

Ragemage will allow you to cast spells at your character level. Not exactly the feel you were going for. The weird wording of master spellthief and rage mage, might do something neat.

Let's try again
Spell thief 6
fortunes friend 4
luck stealer 10
You can use a stolen 3rd level spell to satisfy the casting requirements for luckstealer. What we need to do is find a way to get your 2nd level stolen spells to be bumped to 3rd level so that you can get all of fortunes friend's abilities as well as luckstealer's capstone.

Any ideas on that?

Hmm.. Meeting the 3rd Level Spell requirement is deff not something I thought about at all but that is something that would be the build I'd prefer to go (6/4/10).

The other issue would be feats and skills to go with all of that. As I said I'm still new so I'm Googling most the feats you've mentioned.

dysprosium
2015-10-14, 01:39 PM
Consider tallfellow halfling for an extra feat.

I think you mean strongheart halfling.

Toonic
2015-10-14, 01:44 PM

I ended up changing to Stronghearted last night for the extra feat actually.

----

Edit: I'm dumb. Missread something.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-14, 01:53 PM

Thanks. Totally fudged that one.