PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Paladin build advice?

Alejandro
2015-10-13, 01:16 PM
I have a Fighter 7/Paladin 1, who multiclassed into Paladin for good story reasons. Has the Dueling fighting style, Battlemaster, and plans to take the Oath of Vengeance as a Paladin. Uses a rapier+1 and buckler/studded leather, and has a 20 Dexterity.

I am considering, upon taking Fighter 8, picking up the Dual Wielding feat, and the GM is likely to allow the retraining of Dueling fighting style to Two Weapon Fighting style. If I did so, I'd probably wield the rapier and a short sword, or maybe two rapiers, etc. Using various Paladin/Hunter's Mark spells to do extra damage with my attacks. At Paladin 2, I planned to take the Defense fighting style, bumping my AC up by 1, and combined with the Dual Wielding feat, my AC would not suffer from the loss of my shield.

Would I be making a mistake, game-wise, if I do this, instead of staying with Dueling?

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 01:36 PM
I have a Fighter 7/Paladin 1, who multiclassed into Paladin for good story reasons. Has the Dueling fighting style, Battlemaster, and plans to take the Oath of Vengeance as a Paladin. Uses a rapier+1 and buckler/studded leather, and has a 20 Dexterity.

I am considering, upon taking Fighter 8, picking up the Dual Wielding feat, and the GM is likely to allow the retraining of Dueling fighting style to Two Weapon Fighting style. If I did so, I'd probably wield the rapier and a short sword, or maybe two rapiers, etc. Using various Paladin/Hunter's Mark spells to do extra damage with my attacks. At Paladin 2, I planned to take the Defense fighting style, bumping my AC up by 1, and combined with the Dual Wielding feat, my AC would not suffer from the loss of my shield.

Would I be making a mistake, game-wise, if I do this, instead of staying with Dueling?

Would it be a mistake? No, it won't hurt you badly.

Is it an downgrade? Yes probably, gaining an extra attack as a bonus action will not help as much as it seems at first, considering your ability to smite. You also give up +2 AC for it, which does make a difference.

Why not Lucky or Martial Adept instead? Inspiring Leader can also be a nice buff, provided you don't have party remember who already have temporary HP. You can also just bump up CHA +2.

Considering your current levels, I would suggest working toward 12 Paladin/ 8 Fighter, or 12 Fighter/8 Paladin.

Alejandro
2015-10-13, 02:00 PM

Is it an downgrade? Yes probably, gaining an extra attack as a bonus action will not help as much as it seems at first, considering your ability to smite. You also give up +2 AC for it, which does make a difference.

Why not Lucky or Martial Adept instead? Inspiring Leader can also be a nice buff, provided you don't have party remember who already have temporary HP. You can also just bump up CHA +2.

Considering your current levels, I would suggest working toward 12 Paladin/ 8 Fighter, or 12 Fighter/8 Paladin.

Thank you. As this is a published, long adventure, I do not expect to play the character past level 15. I suppose I should have included that, my apologies.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 02:26 PM
Thank you. As this is a published, long adventure, I do not expect to play the character past level 15. I suppose I should have included that, my apologies.

8 Fighter 7 Paladin should be fine then. :)

Alejandro
2015-10-13, 02:36 PM
8 Fighter 7 Paladin should be fine then. :)

Even though I give up gaining a 3rd Fighter attack at Fighter 11?

Dontdestroyme
2015-10-13, 02:41 PM

Third attack is crazy powerful but probably the additional burst you get from smite and the extra spells and abilities you get as a paladin will make up for it.

Idk if it will be optimum max damage but whatever you get other stuff for it.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 02:42 PM

Going Fighter 11 would be raise your damage per round. More Paladin levels means more burst damage from smite, pick which you prefer.

Third attack is crazy powerful but probably the additional burst you get from smite and the extra spells and abilities you get as a paladin will make up for it.

Idk if it will be optimum max damage but whatever you get other stuff for it.

3rd Attack adds roughly 1d8+5-7 damage per round for him, provided the hit lands. A level 1 smite adds 2d8. So as long as you have 2 smites per round, you are definitely doing better. When you run out, Extra Attack (2) is better.

Another option to Consider: 8 Fighter, 3 Warlock, 4 Paladin. That gives you 2 smites per short rest with Warlock, and Eldritch Blast if you want a ranged option.

djreynolds
2015-10-14, 05:44 AM
The choice is if you are going to 15 and a 7th level fighter already. Paladin 6 is good cut off for at least save bonuses for you and the group. But you'll lose out on that 3rd attack. And 11/4 is okay though. But does it have to be paladin, war cleric is sweet and could be a calling.

Alejandro
2015-10-14, 09:11 PM
The choice is if you are going to 15 and a 7th level fighter already. Paladin 6 is good cut off for at least save bonuses for you and the group. But you'll lose out on that 3rd attack. And 11/4 is okay though. But does it have to be paladin, war cleric is sweet and could be a calling.

I don't have the Wisdom to go Cleric. The character was made with high Dex and Charisma, to be a noble swashbuckler. :)

djreynolds
2015-10-15, 02:02 AM
This is the old concept vs optimization problem. Paladin 11 is strong, but you'll never get there. So I would take fighter to 11 and grab those 3 attacks. Paladin 6 for saves is nice. You obviously have a high dex, so you have a ranged option.

So if your set on paladin, just go 7/8, the rest paladin. It will not kill you, but since your going to 15, you want to enjoy the paladin.

Ask the DM, or beg him, to allow you to retrain. Might be a solution if you're set on paladin, it seems an organic change and that's cool.

Like to see what you do in the end?

Citan
2015-10-15, 03:49 AM
Hi OP! :)

I don't fully agree with you: a constant bonus action means better smite ability per turn, and the feat provide +1 AC so OP only loses 1 AC and damage. It's downgrade, but not so much, and can be well compensated with Paladin spells (which don't hamper the Fighter abilities since he took Battlemaster).

Thing is, it means that you have to get as many spell slots as possible to make the multiclass worthwhile. So Paladin 6 at the very least.

@OP: since you think never going beyond character lvl 15, I agree with others that you should stay Fighter 7 and go Paladin the rest of the way (or grab another Fighter lvl if you really need an ASI). Fighter 7 / Paladin 8 will be nice (and maybe, maybe you'll have a chance to grab the 9nth level if you DM is generous with XP^^) and at least you will have really enjoyed paladin abilities for a time. :)