PDA

View Full Version : Favorite multi-player games on PSN or Wii U or Wii VC?

danzibr
2015-10-13, 02:57 PM
Broad topic here.

So my son and I are getting into multi-player games. He's 4, perfect age for starting gaming. I happen to have a strict actual budget, but a few dollars lying around on my PSN and Wii/Wii U (I know they're separate: I have both).

I've done some googling but the information seems a bit dated. We've played some Castle Crashers, but beyond that... I'm at a bit of a loss for good PSN games. I've tried a few other demos, but none of them really caught my attention (I can give a list of flops tonight).

Genre-wise, not picky in the slightest. He can read but it takes a while, so probably hold off on ARPG-type stuff until he's at least 5.

Thanks!

Balain
2015-10-15, 12:47 AM
It's been awhile since I have had a chance to play anything. I really liked Fat Princess

Thanatos 51-50
2015-10-15, 02:35 AM
Rocket League (PC/PS4 only) is pretty great. Simple mechanics, with easily-understood goals.
(It's association football/soccer with rocket cars), and it even has couch co-op on PS4 so you can play with (or against) your kid. I know one of my friends plays it with his younger son, though I don't know said son's age.

McNum
2015-10-15, 02:59 AM
For local multiplayer on the Wii U, I can recommend Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and New Super Mario Bros. U. Those are pretty much the basics of good local multiplayer on Wii U.

Smash, of course, being the fighting game, which may be a little on the complicated end for a 4 year old, but it's not that much worse than Castle Crashers, I'd think. Mario Kart is easy enough to learn, but learning to play good is a whole other deal. Super Mario 3D World and NSMBU allow you to play simultaneously, and have a fast respawning time if at least one player's character is still alive.

I'd probably go with one of the Marios. I have 3D World myself, and I could see it work out fine. The later stages might be pretty difficult, though. I will admit that Smash has more flair. It just looks crazier.

Wookieetank
2015-10-15, 10:45 AM
If your spawnling enjoys building in any way shape or form, Minecraft on PS3/4 is worth its weight in gold. It has split screen and online multiplayer options. My 2.5 year old spawnling loves watching me play and telling me which critters she wants me to get for the farm I've started for her XD

danzibr
2015-10-15, 09:14 PM
:O I didn't even notice there were replies! How embarrassing.

My son and I beat Super Mario Bros. for Wii U. He got quite good at it. And we play a fair bit of Smash Bros. together (he plays them both by himself too... yay gamepad!).

Minecraft is one I never considered. In fact, I've never played it, only seen it played for like 5 minutes. I know my brother likes it, maybe I'll get into it.

Thanks!

Zevox
2015-10-15, 10:13 PM
My favorite multiplayer games personally are all fighting games. Most of the PS3 ones are available for download on PSN I'm pretty sure - I know Street Fighter 4 is, and I'm pretty sure I've seen mentions of PSN sales on other fighting games, including NetherRealm titles (Injustice and Mortal Kombat, which I'm not a big fan of but are popular enough to bear mentioning anyway) to ArcSystem Works titles (Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue, which I am a big fan of but are relatively niche), and there are definitely older fighting games that got PSN re-releases. Though sadly you can't get the Marvel vs Capcom games that way anymore, since Capcom no longer has the license to sell Marvel's stuff. And of course you already said you have Super Smash Brothers, so you're good on the Nintendo end of things there.

Wookieetank
2015-10-16, 08:02 AM
Minecraft is one I never considered. In fact, I've never played it, only seen it played for like 5 minutes. I know my brother likes it, maybe I'll get into it.

Just as a friendly warning, Minecraft runs into a one more project thing similar to how civ runs into one more turn.

Just built a house, okay just gonna build a well lit fortification wall around it. Oh the wall could use a moat on the outside. Hey look I found a cave while searching for more materials, lets check it out. And so on.

Its great fun, but it will suck you in like mad (particularly since you're new to it).

If you do end up with it, I've got it on PS3&4 (and computer...) and would be happy to help get you oriented :smallsmile:

danzibr
2015-10-16, 12:45 PM
Just as a friendly warning, Minecraft runs into a one more project thing similar to how civ runs into one more turn.

Just built a house, okay just gonna build a well lit fortification wall around it. Oh the wall could use a moat on the outside. Hey look I found a cave while searching for more materials, lets check it out. And so on.

Its great fun, but it will suck you in like mad (particularly since you're new to it).

If you do end up with it, I've got it on PS3&4 (and computer...) and would be happy to help get you oriented :smallsmile:
Oooohhh....... I appreciate the advice and the offer, but I think I'll take the former. I don't have enough time for that kind of time sink.

Thanks!

Mando Knight
2015-10-16, 07:06 PM
My son and I beat Super Mario Bros. for Wii U. He got quite good at it. And we play a fair bit of Smash Bros. together (he plays them both by himself too... yay gamepad!).

If he likes New Super Mario Bros. U, then I'll echo the suggestion for Super Mario 3D World, which plays pretty much exactly like the 2D Mario games (goal post and everything), just in 3D. And the playable characters all have their traits from Super Mario Bros. 2 (Mario's Mario, Luigi jumps higher, Toad runs, Peach floats, etc.) to bring a little bit of gameplay variety.

Gnoman
2015-10-17, 05:30 PM
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a pretty good mario-style platformer for Ps3.