PDA

View Full Version : Dread Commando

Ardantis
2015-10-13, 05:18 PM
I want to make a Dread Commando!

For those of you not in the know, Dread Commando was a Prestige Class from 3.5 which specialized in sneaking around in heavy armor and then BRUTALIZING the enemy with a combination of Sneak AND Power attack.

They also gave the party +5 initiative, iirc.

The best I can figure in 5e is a Fighter who prioritizes Str AND Dex, taking Medium Armor Master for access to Stealth. Great Weapon Style, GWM feat at least I think. Not sure which subclass or which background/race. He'd be a little fragile depending on stats, but would hit like a truck. Trying to get Dex to 16 for max AC in medium armor. He also needs Stealth and Perception to function properly.

How can I do this?

ruy343
2015-10-13, 05:52 PM

For those of you not in the know, Dread Commando was a Prestige Class from 3.5 which specialized in sneaking around in heavy armor and then BRUTALIZING the enemy with a combination of Sneak AND Power attack.

The best I can figure in 5e is a Fighter who prioritizes Str AND Dex, taking Medium Armor Master for access to Stealth. Great Weapon Style, GWM feat at least I think. Not sure which subclass or which background/race. He'd be a little fragile depending on stats, but would hit like a truck. Trying to get Dex to 16 for max AC in medium armor. He also needs Stealth and Perception to function properly.

How can I do this?

Hmmm... Well, working within the rules as they are, I would suggest going for a barbarian, prioritizing strength and dexterity, and use medium armor instead of the Unarmored Defense class ability. Barbarians do start with medium armor/shield proficiency (right? I'm AFB), which can essentially replace your constitution score as your base AC (and your high Dex will make up for that). I would consider the flavor of the totems to guide you with which one gives you what you want. An eagle totem might be a good choice for this character, allowing long-range perception, momentary flight, etc., although a wolf totem that lets your friends get advantage on adjacent enemies is pretty great too. It should be a relatively easy build from there. And believe me, if you want to hit like a truck, but preserve the possibility of stealth and perception as skills, a barbarian will deliver. Maybe you'll consider taking two levels in fighter, but then again, maybe you'll like the vanilla barbie too.

If you're forcing me to go for a fighter, you might consider going for a fighter (battlemaster)/rogue (assassin) cross-class, although you wouldn't get to use a str-based two-handed weapon for sneak attack damage, thus nullifying one of your points. However, a Battlemaster fighter would fit the style you want just fine by itself (although it wouldn't give you everything you were looking for...)

MadBear
2015-10-13, 06:10 PM
Would the new variant Ranger/Assassin combo work well for this theme?

You'd get to have ambuscade, + the Assassin's sneak attack, while wearing medium armor. If you really wanted to have the power attack feel as well, throw some fighter in there for laughs.

It'd take some work, but by level 9, you'd have

Lvl 1/Ranger/Lvl 3 Assassin/ Lvl X Fighter (BM works well)

Take the GWF feat.
Have expertise in Stealth
Wear Medium Armor

For turns that you want to absolutely demolish the enemy it'd look like:

Autocritting once if you get the drop on them for sure, with a giant weapon (at -5 attack/+10 damage) that deals an additional 4d6 (weapon)+ 4d6 (sneak) + 2d8 (BM superiority dice)+ 3 (strength) + 10 (feat) damage per hit, and you'll likely get 1-2 more rounds of this burst damage.

You can throw in the ability to cause fear in enemies with the BM Fighter.

Human Paragon 3
2015-10-13, 07:04 PM
Variant Ranger / Assassin is the perfect choice. Get a warning weapon if you are interested in keeping the initiative bonus thing, and the Alert feat. If you feel it's apt, splash fighter 2 or fighter 3 for Action Surge and potential maneuvers.

The Variant Ranger is playtest material, but it does make a great dread commando.

Another hallmark of the dread commando was being able to wear most armor with no penalities to stealth. Medium Armor Master seems like it would be a good choice here, but just boosting Dex and using light armor would also be fine. Depends on how closely you want to simulate the class.

unwise
2015-10-13, 07:44 PM
I can't imagine many DMs being happy with anybody using the new ranger as a 1 level dip. Some might allow it as a full class, as it is not too unbalanced taken as a whole. I do think it fits the theme well though. What about the martial ranger? It could be good for this too. Is strength important to the character concept? Could you find some more macho weapons that the DM would let you use as Finesse ones? IMC the ranger uses tomahawks like that which are pretty badass.

Kane0
2015-10-13, 07:52 PM
I'd also go with variant ranger/rogue with a splash of fighter when you can afford it. Maybe even paladin for smite burst damage.

Alternate Ranger 1 / Assassin 3 / Fighter 2 gets you up and running with some pretty terrifying opening round damage at level 6. You lose out on ASIs for a while though.

Ardantis
2015-10-13, 09:47 PM
What I'd most like to emulate about the class was the combination of stealth, survivability, and melee nova, preferably in the simplest package possible.

1) While Assassinate is indeed powerful for nova, it's also a multiclass dip, which I object to on simplicity grounds.

2) I neglected to consider Barbarian and Variant Ranger- they also do exactly what I'd proposed in a single-class package.

3) As far as Fighter subclasses, Battlemaster is the clear winner due to being able to stack more effects on the initial surprise round, which is the same reason the Variant Ranger is also effective.

4) So it comes down to Battlemaster Fighter, Totem Barbarian, and Variant Ranger (Hunter). While the Barbarian clearly come out on top in damage per hit, the Battlemaster gets more attacks plus maneuvers while the Ranger gets maneuvers and horde-clearing abilities. The Ranger also gets Stealth as a class skill, freeing up background/race considerations for access to skills.

With those three choices (Battlemaster, Totem, Variant Ranger) as my best choices for reaching the character design goals, which backgrounds/races/feats would round me out best?

I am looking for stealth (access to Stealth and Perception proficiencies), survivability (AC, Con), and melee nova (Greatweapon for Barb/Fighter, what for Ranger?)

Corran
2015-10-13, 10:13 PM
What I'd most like to emulate about the class was the combination of stealth, survivability, and melee nova, preferably in the simplest package possible.

1) While Assassinate is indeed powerful for nova, it's also a multiclass dip, which I object to on simplicity grounds.

While ofc this is your choice, I cant help but point out that 3 levels of rogue(assassin) give you too many stuff regarding to what you want to achieve (expertise in stealth, autocrits on surprise, cunning action - which relates a lot to survaivability, and sneak attack*). If your DM allows, you could bring into play a d10 finesse two handed weapon (nothing game-breaking or op) which would allow you to bring sneak attack into play along with GWM feat. So a dex based battlemaster/assassin with a houseruled two handed finese weapon (d10) and the GWM feat, wearing breastplate (or halplate with MAM) could serve you well. Dont mean to change your mind, but I thought that might make you see multiclassing under a different light.

ps: Also, could someone point me to this variant ranger that was mentioned? Is it covered in any of the books, and if yes, which? Thank you in advance.

somehownotsingl
2015-10-13, 10:16 PM
I am looking for stealth (access to Stealth and Perception proficiencies), survivability (AC, Con), and melee nova (Greatweapon for Barb/Fighter, what for Ranger?)

Sharpshooter feat with a ranger can be amazing! Especially when you add in Colossus Slayer and Hunter's Mark. Are you wed to melee nova?

MadBear
2015-10-13, 11:40 PM
If you're not a fan of MCing then drop the variant ranger. As awesome as it is, it only goes up to level 5 and. So you'd need to multiclass at that point regardless.

I'd just vote BM fighter if going straight. You get the most feats so you could take alert, medium armor master, GWF, and still throw in ability score improvements. Especially if you're concept needs high dex (stealth/initiative) and strength (big weapon power attacks).

Chadamantium
2015-10-14, 01:20 AM
While ofc this is your choice, I cant help but point out that 3 levels of rogue(assassin) give you too many stuff regarding to what you want to achieve (expertise in stealth, autocrits on surprise, cunning action - which relates a lot to survaivability, and sneak attack*). If your DM allows, you could bring into play a d10 finesse two handed weapon (nothing game-breaking or op) which would allow you to bring sneak attack into play along with GWM feat. So a dex based battlemaster/assassin with a houseruled two handed finese weapon (d10) and the GWM feat, wearing breastplate (or halplate with MAM) could serve you well. Dont mean to change your mind, but I thought that might make you see multiclassing under a different light.

ps: Also, could someone point me to this variant ranger that was mentioned? Is it covered in any of the books, and if yes, which? Thank you in advance.

Unearthed Arcana : Class designs variants. Its the same one with the favored soul subclass.

djreynolds
2015-10-14, 01:38 AM
Fighter/rogue, screams dread commando. Multiclassing is easy with fighters and rogues

Shield master coupled with expertise in athletics is fantastic for granting advantage and gaining sneak attacks.

Nothing wrong with wielding a shield and a short sword, scimitar, or rapier with strength and getting your sneak attacks.

I find, IMHO, melee assassins are useless, he is totally situational and everything hinges on perfection. He makes for a better NPC. For non magical go thief, but.....

Do not over look arcane trickster, mirror image (a 2nd level spell) costs 7 levels of AT? Your obviously not going for 4 attacks so 12 fighter/8 rogue is the sweet spot.

MAM is obtainable but not worth the +1 in AC to wear half plate (15 AC) when breast plate is just as good, (14 AC) and you can stealth in it without the feat. Invisibility is a 2nd level spell as well. Save your feats.

Alert and mobile will be two big feats needed, go first and ignore AoO or at least cancel out some of the trouble with the sentinel feat.

But since you're going melee and are living on sneak attack damage, and shoves, and such it means you'll be in close do not forget defensive feats. I know you get uncanny dodge, but remember the shield spell from arcane trickster or magic adept.

Yes both, shield spell and uncanny dodge compete for your reaction, but prevention of the hit may be better.

Sentinel is a real killer when the tables are turned. +5 AC from the shield spell. Big enough to perhaps stop a sentinel from landing that one hit that stops all your movement. Eladrin might be a good race for misty step.

Corran
2015-10-14, 02:22 AM
Unearthed Arcana : Class designs variants. Its the same one with the favored soul subclass.
Thanks a lot!

MadBear
2015-10-14, 10:23 AM
correction: We are not talking about the spell-less ranger variant, that is included with the favored soul unearthed arcana. We are talking specifically about a new "fixed" ranger that matches what people wanted originally out of the ranger.

this: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf

not this: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

Ardantis
2015-10-14, 04:40 PM
Actually, I think your links are reversed- we are talking about the Variant Ranger from Unearthed Arcana, not the five-level magical Ranger.

As far as multiclassing goes, I still find it hard to swallow, despite the obvious benefits of Assassinate.

That said, the Commando feel, in modern terms, is not unlike the burly Green Beret who stalks his prey with a serrated combat knife- only transported back in time. A finesse weapon wielded with Strength is within reason.

Variant Ranger, Battlemaster, and Barbarian each support a rogue dip to some degree. I do not support more than a dip at this time- that is a different character, running around with a scimitar, shield, and spells.

Melee is a given, although yes a Ranger with a bow is a more credible woodland threat- but one cannot seize objectives with just a bow, and this character screams 'lead by aggressive forward momentum.'

If I went with Fighter or Barbarian, I'd have to go with Criminal background for Stealth- which gives a more 'Dirty Dozen' feel- or Urchin, which is a little more 'Inglourious Basterds.'

The Ranger, as a straight-up stalker, gives more of a 'First Blood' feel, especially if I find a way to make traps. Do Rangers get Perception as a class skill?

For race, I think I have to go Vhuman for Perception as a skill if Barb or Fighter, but can choose any as a Ranger.

Stats I figure are 15 Str 14 Dex 13 Con 10 Wis 10 Int 10 Cha with array.

I also just realized that with very little additional resources (Athletics proficiency) that my character would also be half decent at grappling. Hello asymmetrical warfare!

Jeebs
2015-10-14, 05:13 PM
One of my favorite builds is a Half-Orc Fighter 1/Valor Bard 19 with 8 DEX and Expertise in Stealth. I mostly thought it would be funny ("No guys, I'm really sneaky. I swear.") but if you eliminate feats or drop a few more points into DEX, you can overcome Disadvatage from Heavy Armor even more.

EDIT: You could take Great Weapon Master and steal Bless with Magical Secrets, plus taking Expertise in Athletics and using spells from the Bard list to increase your Grappling.

If that's not enough to convince you to MC, I'd just recommend a character with 16 DEX, the Medium Armor Master feat, proficiency in Stealth, and a suit of Halfplate.

ruy343
2015-10-14, 05:28 PM
If I went with Fighter or Barbarian, I'd have to go with Criminal background for Stealth- which gives a more 'Dirty Dozen' feel- or Urchin, which is a little more 'Inglourious Basterds.'

[...]

I also just realized that with very little additional resources (Athletics proficiency) that my character would also be half decent at grappling. Hello asymmetrical warfare!

I was tempted to write a guide on how to get your Stealth skill as a Barbarian, but you seem to have it figured out.

If grappling and/or shoving are appealing to you, remember that a barbarian's rage grants advantage on athletics checks, allowing you advantage on both of those attacks. A barbarian with the shield master feat can knock the enemy on the ground (as a free attack) and pummel them with advantage (for free) and thus not need reckless attack to gain advantage. This means that you would still get that oh-so-wonderful resistance to damage that you get from rage, but not compromise your AC by using reckless attack to hit. In other words; you would be the tank extraordinaire.

But wait, there's more! That rogue dip can grant you expertise! And what better expertise to pick for this build than Athletics? That would mean that you could make athletics checks with advantage (rage), high strength (because you're a barbarian), and doubled proficiency bonus. Dat shove...

But wait, there's more! If you're going to use a shield, you're stuck with one handed weapons, and while you're there, you can use a one-handed finesse weapon! Now sneak attacking works! (clarification needed: does he need to actually use his dexterity modifier on the attack to get the sneak attack damage? I think that the rules just require it to be a finesse weapon)

Overall, your total Damage Per Round (DPR) will be lower than a traditional barbarian, since you aren't using a two-handed weapon, but you're trading that out for a shield, amazing defenses, easy advantage, and free sneak attacks every round because of the advantage that's given by fighting prone enemies.

Thoughts?

MadBear
2015-10-14, 05:43 PM
Actually, I think your links are reversed- we are talking about the Variant Ranger from Unearthed Arcana, not the five-level magical Ranger.

When I first mentioned the ranger, I was talking about the levels 1-5 class. the Unearthed arcana one works as well of course, but for a dread Commando, the new ranger class with Ambuscade seems to fit the character you're describing perfectly.

Kidbuu51
2015-10-14, 07:12 PM
Mithral heavy Armor, multi class rogue fighter 9/11, gwm, boom done

Ardantis
2015-10-14, 10:50 PM
Wow, the Valor Bard build threw me for a loop! So original!

The barbarian with rogue dip build screams "skullduggery in the night" murder kidnapping black ops- which is TOTALLY the feel of this character.

Ambuscade is great, sure, but the whole "magical companion" thing really throws me off. Plus what do I do with the rest of my levels?

Kidbuu, we've been there and gone. The heavy rogue/fighter build feels... I dunno, different. You divert a lot to rogue, and then you can't use Sneak Attack with a great weapon, so why build it?

I'm thinking this character will be built as an NPC for my upcoming Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign, probably as someone skulking around Cragmaw Castle- I'm thinking a former gamekeeper of the noble family who once owned the property. I'm weaving in this whole "noble" subplot to connect with the backstory of our pre-gen fighter- I want him to run into the remnants of nobility around Phandalin.

Here's what I figure:

Rhaegar the Blooded

Vhuman Rog3/Barb2

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 14
Wis 10
Int 10
Cha 10

Weapons: Skulks around the forest with a dagger. Depends on rage + sneak attack for ambush damage.

Feat: Probably Alert. Shield Master is boss but then I'm less mobile a Commando and can't grapple (read: kidnap).

Expertise: Also not sure. Stealth is great, so is Athletics for shoving and grapple.

Background: Criminal. Stealth, Sleight of Hand and some solid tools. Also criminal contact (how this former gamekeeper connects with society at large these days). Perhaps he has a criminal past from before he was the Gamekeeper of Cragmaw Castle.

Skill Proficiencies: Stealth and Sleight of Hand (from background), Perception (from VHuman), Athletics and Survival (from Barbarian). I hope barbarians have Survival.

Spends most of his time marauding around the ruins of Castle Cragmaw, ambushing hobgoblin patrols. Still maintains the old deer paths, living in the forest as a vigilante. Only human contact is with former members of the Redbrands gang, to trade pelts and venison for supplies. Still feels loyal to his long-lost noble benefactors after all these years, and keeps their estate game maintained despite the squatting goblin King in the ruins of the Castle. Possibly military connection as well (although that could be too much mustard.)

djreynolds
2015-10-14, 11:44 PM
Assassin sounds good on paper, but so many things in the chain must happen and that chain is easily broken. I mean you'll still get you sneak attack, but auto-crit is very situational IMO for melee, ranged is safer and easier.

Barbarian is a great class, dueling short swords with strength is awesome and advantage with reckless attack, advantage with strength checks with rage. Shield master is awesome for shoving with a bonus action, and Mr Crawford says now before or after your attack action.

Medium Armor Master is obsolete with breastplate, which you can stealth with.

Arcane trickster is under appreciated, IMO. Invisibility and mirror image and silence are all spells in your possession. Picture putting a village to sleep and disposing of enemies.

Cast your spells before you enter rage, mirror image is not concentration.

But the question is what do you want? The dread commando is a very cool class. Really you just need expertise in stealth and perception, barbarian will take care of athletics. Your dexterity and con will be low for awhile, so I recommend starting with barbarian for medium armor proficiency, and "eat" the two skills you miss out on, and when you pick up rogue you'll get one more. Expertise, cunning action are awesome. Mage hand for arcane trickster is good for gaining entry.

GWM with advantage can easily keep up with a rogue's sneak attack. So you can get the feel of power attack with sneak attack as long as you can find things that grant you advantage. Such as knocking down someone, reckless attack, using sleep and invisibility, etc.

So you could sneak around with a great sword and keep the feel of the dread commando. For me you just need 2 levels of rogue period or go to 6. Uncanny dodge at 5th, for when the guards catch up, feat at 4th, 2 more expertise at 6th.

Thief will give you a lot of skills for entry and fast hands. Arcane trickster is better than you think.

Erevis Cale is who this reminds me of, minus the cleric of Mask

MadBear
2015-10-15, 12:40 AM
Ambuscade is great, sure, but the whole "magical companion" thing really throws me off. Plus what do I do with the rest of my levels?

I actually agree, especially since you're not looking to MC that much. A MC Ambuscade Ranger 2/Assassin3/FighterX could give you that hit's first, hard, and stealthily, but if you're not going to MC, then it's definitely not the way to go. The reason for the suggestion in the first place is that with Ambuscade, Action Surge, stealth Expertise, Assassin Auto-Crits, and a 2-handed weapon, you could potentially hit your opponent 8 times with a heavy weapon that auto-crits before they could even retaliate (2 from ambuscade round, 2 from surprise round, 2 for having high initiative, 2 from action surge).

Kane0
2015-10-15, 12:45 AM
I actually agree, especially since you're not looking to MC that much. A MC Ambuscade Ranger 2/Assassin3/FighterX could give you that hit's first, hard, and stealthily, but if you're not going to MC, then it's definitely not the way to go. The reason for the suggestion in the first place is that with Ambuscade, Action Surge, stealth Expertise, Assassin Auto-Crits, and a 2-handed weapon, you could potentially hit your opponent 8 times with a heavy weapon that auto-crits before they could even retaliate (2 from ambuscade round, 2 from surprise round, 2 for having high initiative, 2 from action surge).

Damn, that's some impressive overkill.

Malifice
2015-10-15, 12:58 AM

How can I do this?

Also dip Rogue for cunning action and expertise in stealth/ perception and take the Skulker feat.

8wGremlin
2015-10-15, 12:58 AM

How are you getting 2 attacks from Ambuscade, you get 1 attack action, and don't have enough class levels in anything to get 2 attacks a round. - or have I missed something?

MadBear
2015-10-15, 01:01 AM
Damn, that's some impressive overkill.

http://games.sub-standard.com/Motivational%20Posters/Weaponry/Weapon-overkill.jpg

MadBear
2015-10-15, 01:07 AM
How are you getting 2 attacks from Ambuscade, you get 1 attack action, and don't have enough class levels in anything to get 2 attacks a round. - or have I missed something?

it's coming from the Fighter X once it hits level 5. What's funny is if you're an eldritch knight and take polearm master, you can end up 17 auto critting attacks before retaliation ( Ambuscade[3 base attacks+haste attack] + Surprise [3 base attacks+haste attack+ bonus action attack]+ First Round [3 base attacks+haste attack+ bonus action attack] + action surge [3 attacks].

if you can find a way to add 2 levels of paladin to it, you can throw in the rest of your spell slots on smite to make sure that you absolutely positively kill whatever it was that you were trying to kill.

djreynolds
2015-10-15, 01:15 AM
They're a lot of ways to skin this cat. I wonder how the new ranger would fit in with war cleric. I like ranger/cleric with a dip of rogue could be nasty.

Arcane trickster/battle-master is effective. Invisibility is good way to gain advantage and make that GWM sink its teeth and mirror image is great.

I never thought of paladin, but that could work very well, good catch.

Malifice
2015-10-15, 04:26 AM
it's coming from the Fighter X once it hits level 5. What's funny is if you're an eldritch knight and take polearm master, you can end up 17 auto critting attacks before retaliation ( Ambuscade[3 base attacks+haste attack] + Surprise [3 base attacks+haste attack+ bonus action attack]+ First Round [3 base attacks+haste attack+ bonus action attack] + action surge [3 attacks].

if you can find a way to add 2 levels of paladin to it, you can throw in the rest of your spell slots on smite to make sure that you absolutely positively kill whatever it was that you were trying to kill.

Ambuscade grants only a single attack from memory. Not a full turn (and bonus haste action).

You might want to take some mystic in there. They get an extra action ability too.

djreynolds
2015-10-15, 06:17 AM
Dimension door could be really abused IMO, multi up with trickery cleric or warlock, or AT/wizard or EK/wizard

You know vengeance paladin gets all of this, dimension door, misty step and smiting with advantage when they come out of nowhere and GWM, that could be it really all you need. Then you add your assassin to this build and fighter.

Death Dealers Guidebook in the guide section, could work with that build paladin, battlemaster, assassin

MadBear
2015-10-15, 08:02 AM
Ambuscade grants only a single attack from memory. Not a full turn (and bonus haste action).

You might want to take some mystic in there. They get an extra action ability too.

I thought so to, but it say's

On this turn, you can use your action to take either the Attack or Hide action.

which means if you have 2-3 attacks you can take your 2-3 attacks. Since it counts as a turn it also triggers haste. The only thing it misses is the bonus action attack.

Ardantis
2015-10-15, 08:41 PM
I love these crazy builds.

Death in the surprise round has never looked so good.

djreynolds
2015-10-16, 01:43 AM
Go in the guides and tell me what you think of the Death Dealer's Handbook. Its really good and just take and tweak it. But post the build. Dread Commando sounds really cool

CNagy
2015-10-16, 02:26 AM
I think we're missing the obvious single-class option: Swashbuckler Rogue.

Mountain Dwarf
Str: 17 > 20
Dex:14
Con:15 > 20
Int:8
Wis:10
Cha:12

Feats: ASI (Str + Con), ASI (Str), Alert, Tough, ASI (Con), ASI (Con)

Use a short sword refluffed as a wicked long knife. Wear breastplate armor up until level 11, at which point who cares if you have a disadvantage on stealth with half-plate? Between Expertise in Stealth and the reliable skill class feature, your stealth will be a minimum of 24. Expertise in Athletics makes it easy to grapple people, not that you need to with Swashbuckler's very easy sneak attack requirements, but this rogue is very kidnap capable. Init +8 and never surprised means you are probably going first in combat. You get a ton of hit points but you can trade some by turning a Con ASI into a feat if you want something like Defensive Duelist, Dual Wielder, whatever. You can pick pretty much any background you want. It doesn't have the magic tricks of an Arcane Trickster, or the first round burst of the Assassin, but it is reliable for big damage each turn and has a lot of durability, mobility, skills with high base rolls, and absolutely no need to multiclass (though I would consider taking a 2-6 level dip in Ranger or Fighter, but strictly speaking it isn't necessary.)

Ardantis
2015-10-17, 11:40 PM
I think we're missing the obvious single-class option: Swashbuckler Rogue.

Mountain Dwarf
Str: 17 > 20
Dex:14
Con:15 > 20
Int:8
Wis:10
Cha:12

Feats: ASI (Str + Con), ASI (Str), Alert, Tough, ASI (Con), ASI (Con)

Use a short sword refluffed as a wicked long knife. Wear breastplate armor up until level 11, at which point who cares if you have a disadvantage on stealth with half-plate? Between Expertise in Stealth and the reliable skill class feature, your stealth will be a minimum of 24. Expertise in Athletics makes it easy to grapple people, not that you need to with Swashbuckler's very easy sneak attack requirements, but this rogue is very kidnap capable. Init +8 and never surprised means you are probably going first in combat. You get a ton of hit points but you can trade some by turning a Con ASI into a feat if you want something like Defensive Duelist, Dual Wielder, whatever. You can pick pretty much any background you want. It doesn't have the magic tricks of an Arcane Trickster, or the first round burst of the Assassin, but it is reliable for big damage each turn and has a lot of durability, mobility, skills with high base rolls, and absolutely no need to multiclass (though I would consider taking a 2-6 level dip in Ranger or Fighter, but strictly speaking it isn't necessary.)

That's brilliant!

Haven't looked at the Death Dealer's Handbook yet but...

Your description is very convincing. Sort of the ultimate warrior thug, but with enough skills to make "special ops" an accurate description.

I'll ruminate on it, then consider posting a build. But that Swashbuckler... plus that's the best use of Mountain Dwarf I've seen yet (every racial feature is... featured!)

EDIT: I'd probably want the 12 in Wis, though.