PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tomelock AC in late-game

Arc-Royal
2015-10-13, 08:31 PM
I'm toying around with a build for an Archfey Tomelock for a pocket character (in case my character in the campaign I'm playing in dies) and I'm not sure if I should worry about her AC if she survives into late-game. As-is, her late-game build is intended to have a DEX of 16 with the Armor of Shadows invocation (total AC 16) and the Lucky Feat. No one has received enchanted armor yet (we're level 4) and I'm not sure how likely enchanted armor is to show up, since I've never played under this DM before. Do you think this is adequate to keep her alive? I know there's a lot of speculation involved in the question, but any advice is appreciated. I can provide more information on the build if you'd like.

MaxWilson
2015-10-13, 09:26 PM
I'm toying around with a build for an Archfey Tomelock for a pocket character (in case my character in the campaign I'm playing in dies) and I'm not sure if I should worry about her AC if she survives into late-game. As-is, her late-game build is intended to have a DEX of 16 with the Armor of Shadows invocation (total AC 16) and the Lucky Feat. No one has received enchanted armor yet (we're level 4) and I'm not sure how likely enchanted armor is to show up, since I've never played under this DM before. Do you think this is adequate to keep her alive? I know there's a lot of speculation involved in the question, but any advice is appreciated. I can provide more information on the build if you'd like.

It would actually be helpful to know more about your DM's style and your intended playstyle.

The basic answer is that, "Yes, AC 16 and Armor of Agathys plus the Lucky feat is plenty to keep a backline spellcaster alive against most conceivable threats." Misty Escape and Blink/Greater Invisibility are just gravy on top. I would still advise seeking and using partial cover whenever possible for effective +5 to AC (and maybe drop prone too against missile fire), because why not, but I have PCs at my table with AC 16 and as long as they don't try to pretend like they're tanks they're generally fine. In fact, I have backline PCs at my table with Con 6 and AC 13 and they're generally fine too! Most monsters my players run into pretty much attack what's in front of them at first. The only things that attack backline PCs are 1.) intelligent enemies; 2.) unintelligent enemies that want to run away but can't because the PCs have cornered them; 3.) mighty and huge enemies like Tyrannosaurs that can just step over front-line PCs and eat whoever they feel like eating. (Or so they think.)

I can imagine situations in which it might not be fine, especially if your DM metagames and customizes threats to make monsters play smart against your party even if the monsters have never met your party before. But overall I think you're likely to be fine.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 09:42 PM

Yes, as a caster, 16 AC is plenty. Don't bother with Armor of Shadows, you already have proficiency in light armor, and that gives you 13+DEX in studded leather. If you don't like the mental aesthetics of it, just have your PC wear clothing over it.

Fiendish Vigor will be strong for the early levels, so take that, but make sure to trade it out down the road.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-13, 10:08 PM
Actually, studded leather is 12+dex, so unless he gets studded leather +1, mage armor+AoA will be better.

But yes, for the most part AC 16 is fine for a tomelock. Just pray to RNJesus that your front line doesn't explode, and you'll be alright (typically).

Atalas
2015-10-13, 11:09 PM
Actually, studded leather is 12+dex, so unless he gets studded leather +1, mage armor+AoA will be better.

But yes, for the most part AC 16 is fine for a tomelock. Just pray to RNJesus that your front line doesn't explode, and you'll be alright (typically).

That's the purpose of the meat shields, I mean front line: they give the casters enough time to turn and run when things go pear-shaped.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 11:19 PM
My mistake, I still stand by what I said though. :p

Arc-Royal
2015-10-14, 01:06 AM
It would actually be helpful to know more about your DM's style and your intended playstyle.
Well, things have been mostly social-heavy so far. The three combats I can remember were a pair of snake-shaped water elementals that were a bit rough (although that's probably because my monk got grappled and didn't escape until after the water elemental was KO'd) , a pseudo-peryton (a facsimile of a peryton made using those magic paints from the DMG), and our most recent combat encounter was with a dwarf, an orc, and a mead elemental (resulted in a flaming manor, our escape with the unconscious dwarf, and the escape of the orc). All in all, relatively few enemies.

Yes, as a caster, 16 AC is plenty. Don't bother with Armor of Shadows, you already have proficiency in light armor, and that gives you 13+DEX in studded leather. If you don't like the mental aesthetics of it, just have your PC wear clothing over it.

Fiendish Vigor will be strong for the early levels, so take that, but make sure to trade it out down the road.
If magic armors wind up being a thing, I can swap the invocation out. Fiendish vigor might be worth a look, but if I die, it might not be until later levels, so it might be greatly overshadowed. We'll see. Fingers crossed that my monk lives--I have a handful of plot hooks to follow up with her that I'm dying to know more about!

Mara
2015-10-14, 01:16 AM
If you can contain yourself on feats, then you could have 20 dex by level 16. Studded leather plus that is 17 AC.

In comparison, level 18 wizards can have 23AC and mirror image on at all times.

Monks are looking at 20 ac, barbarians at 17, fighters at either 18 or 20.

As a warlock I'd rather hide myself with silent image invocation and shoot out of than than spend an invocation slot on mage armor.

MaxWilson
2015-10-14, 01:34 AM
Well, things have been mostly social-heavy so far. The three combats I can remember were a pair of snake-shaped water elementals that were a bit rough (although that's probably because my monk got grappled and didn't escape until after the water elemental was KO'd) , a pseudo-peryton (a facsimile of a peryton made using those magic paints from the DMG), and our most recent combat encounter was with a dwarf, an orc, and a mead elemental (resulted in a flaming manor, our escape with the unconscious dwarf, and the escape of the orc). All in all, relatively few enemies.

Yep, sounds like an AC 16 Feylock will be 100% fine at that table.