PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling feet

VoxRationis
2015-10-13, 11:42 PM
I'm away from the books at the moment, so I can't really answer this question to my satisfaction:
Do 5e tieflings have unguligrade or plantigrade feet?

Raphite1
2015-10-14, 12:00 AM
I'm away from the books at the moment, so I can't really answer this question to my satisfaction:
Do 5e tieflings have unguligrade or plantigrade feet?

Whichever you want imo; it would depend on the ancestry of that particular line, and whether the trait was expressed in that particular tiefling.

Kane0
2015-10-14, 12:00 AM
it varies from tiefling to tiefling.
Each have wings, horns, tails, hooves, freaky eyes, etc but not all of the above.

Regitnui
2015-10-14, 01:36 AM
The PHB picture seems to be standing on tiptoe inside shoes, so no definite answer there. Assuming the Warlock is a tiefling, she has human feet. The Criminal background has no visible feet, but appears to be wearing boots. No other pictures in the PHB of tiefling feet that I can see.

JellyPooga
2015-10-14, 06:58 AM
Tieflings in my games are Planetouched, the mortal descendants of fiends, not a true-breeding species; their features are as variable as the many heritages they can have. Not all have horns, tails, glowing eyes or peculiar skin, some have all of the above, others have one or some of them and others yet have other weirdness going on. Cloven hooves are optional!

Socko525
2015-10-14, 08:43 AM
Tieflings in my games are Planetouched, the mortal descendants of fiends, not a true-breeding species; their features are as variable as the many heritages they can have. Not all have horns, tails, glowing eyes or peculiar skin, some have all of the above, others have one or some of them and others yet have other weirdness going on. Cloven hooves are optional!

I could be wrong, but I believe this is addressed in Erin Evans' D&D novel series Brimstone Angels. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically all tieflings were planetouched as they were in 3.5, but then one tiefling made a pact with Asmodeus and thus forever changed the tiefling race (locking them in to all having horns, tails, glowing eyes, etc.--basically what we see tieflings as now). It's a fairly easy read and does a decent job of helping to expand the D&D universe...and if you're tired of reading about Drizz't's adventures it's a nice change of pace.

smcmike
2015-10-14, 08:45 AM
I prefer the plane-touched version.

Zejety
2015-10-14, 09:05 AM
This depends on the setting.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is addressed in Erin Evans' D&D novel series Brimstone Angels. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically all tieflings were planetouched as they were in 3.5, but then one tiefling made a pact with Asmodeus and thus forever changed the tiefling race (locking them in to all having horns, tails, glowing eyes, etc.--basically what we see tieflings as now). It's a fairly easy read and does a decent job of helping to expand the D&D universe...and if you're tired of reading about Drizz't's adventures it's a nice change of pace.
^This is what happened in the Forgotten Realms. At least to all devilborn Tieflings. And I agree that the series is very fun to read (and helped me understand devils a lot better).

Anonymouswizard
2015-10-14, 09:14 AM

Bah, tieflings are obviously all the descendants of bards, where else could they come from? I mean they have a bonus to charisma!

To answer the question, I don't use the 'separate race' style of tieflings, and have every one look different based on their ancestor. I do have tieflings mainly breed true, but their child will have a mix of their features.

Cloven feet are rare in my tieflings, but everything else from crow's claws to extra digits appears.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-10-14, 10:31 AM
There have been so many different versions of Tieflings, both in terms of back-story and artwork, that you can choose whatever appearance you like for them. I don't believe there's a single correct answer for this.

VoxRationis
2015-10-15, 01:29 AM
Okay, so when they got "locked in," what were their feet like? I'm trying to come up with what clothes look like for a tiefling culture in my 5e setting.

Zejety
2015-10-15, 02:04 AM
Okay, so when they got "locked in," what were their feet like? I'm trying to come up with what clothes look like for a tiefling culture in my 5e setting.

Completely human-like. The only discerning features for that style of Tiefling are horns, tail, eyes, teeth and potentially skin color but they can have human skin, too. One novel also mentions that the protagonist blushes stronger/easier than humans even though she has a human skin tone.

Anonymouswizard
2015-10-15, 07:22 AM

It really depends. If in your setting 'tieflings' have a set appearance (and aren't the result of crossbreeding) then they can have whatever kind of feet you want. If they vary significantly then their feet will vary.

An idea: tieflings have human feet, but their skin is tough enough that they go barefoot, like a hobbit.