nerk
2015-10-14, 10:58 AM
Player
Character
Class
Text Color
PP/PS

the hellbug
Tulug (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=584818)
Monk
green
12/12

Estralita
Mara (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=583309)
Paladin
teal
12/8

ProudGrognard
Crixus (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f-Rp4SG9yvbaChaZnjO6rVZMV7wLxKm8QvSEJMBw5nk/edit)
Barbarian

13/11

Stavrost
Tobias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=583163)
Cleric
red
13/5

For the past three months, the Rackport road has been closed to Derri. Bandits have been harrying any who attempt to make the journey, and the village has suffered. The stonecarvers of Derri are famed throughout the Yikossag Sea as among the best sculptors in the world, and the trade in both unworked marble stone and fine sculpture has supported the village as long as there has been a village here. The interruption of that trade has the people on the verge of starvation, as the land is not capable of supporting even such a modest population.

The Lady Ghanette claims that the banditry is the work of her sister Airesa, who has recently come to power in Dary’s Knoll, the village halfway between Derri and Rackport. Airesa has sent several messages, offering her assistance in dealing with the lawlessness, but they have all returned with no response.

Each of you has made it to Derri in the past few days, by one road or another.

You each are dreaming of your past, the crucial moments that turned you on this path. Along with most of the population of Derri, the players wake to the sound of a trumpet blowing the alarm. It's past midnight, but several hours before dawn.

Amaril
2015-10-14, 12:44 PM
Petyr's sleep is fitful and restless, as it so often is on the first night in an unfamiliar place.

His dreams are chaotic and disquieting. For some reason, he finds himself several times back in the halls of Lord Fosseth's keep. Carried by a child's stubby legs, he weaves and dodges around the legs of tables fit for giants. His mother smiles and reaches out a hand, but her fingers are sword blades, cutting him when he takes hold. The visions fade into surprisingly clear reenactments of his journey to Derri Hill. Rain pours off the hood of his cloak as he readjusts it over his shoulders, hiding the sword at his belt. Time flashes forward. A bandit's axe whistles toward his head; he brings his blade up to hook the weapon, yanking it backward out of his attacker's hand, follows through for a downward cut. His opponent falls, twitching on the ground. From somewhere off in the distance, a horn sounds.

His eyes snap open, staring up at the common hall ceiling. The alarm. Acting reflexively, Petyr pushes himself to his knees, hands groping along the floor in the dark for his equipment. He scrambles to throw on his mail hauberk and buckle on his sword belt. "What's going on? Anyone know?"

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-14, 01:28 PM
The sun was bright that day, and warm on his face. It was midsummer, but still Tobias Wendelain shivered. For the first time in a very long time, he was nervous. He had served in battle, and faced it fearlessly. Why would he shake in his boots now, one would wonder. That is, one would wonder if they did not know Agnes. The young woman had not only stolen the sergeant's heart, but she had broken through his tough exterior to do so, and Tobias knew it.

His face flushed red with embarrassment underneath his dark moustache. He could see his soldiers in the crowd, snickering at his obvious anxiety. A scowl from Tobias was noted and put a stop to the quiet laughter. The priest, a cleric of Paroc, stood behind him, exuding an aura of calm.

And then there she was. Agnes was a beautiful maiden, her white gown flowing down from her shoulders like radiance cascading off of an angel. Tobias felt his mouth go dry when she approached him. He stifled a tremor in his hands as she stood before him. She smiled, and he returned it.

Then the horn sounded.

Tobias sat up, awake. He was not alone, as others stirred around him in the common hall, yet the absence of Agnes tore at his heart. He was no longer warm, as the cold of night surrounded him even indoors. He was no longer young and tanned, just old and grey. However, old habits die hard and the old soldier scrambled at the alarm, gathering up his armor and beginning to don it. A voice called out.

"What's going on? Anyone know?"

"Not sure just yet, son," replied Tobias, "but I wager it's nothing good."

Estralita
2015-10-14, 01:43 PM
Mara dreamed of smoke. Thick, choking smoke, that got into everything. The smoke was the first sign that the evil of the world had found the Hollow. The smoke that permeated their clothes for days after the village burned. The smell of smoke as she lay in front of the fireplace listening to the same words whispered by a dying man in the burnt remains of a battle.

The hooves were smoking.

The first sign of danger, and the last reminder of destruction.

The blaring horn woke her up. Mara's hand went to her sheathed rapier, and she got to her feet. Right now wasn't the time to remember the past. People were likely in trouble in the present.

The Hellbug
2015-10-14, 04:13 PM
The mob surges forward. Tulug wants to shout out, to do anything, but desperation has stolen his voice. The last thing he remembers is the look on Master Kehmed's face--his eyes closing at the last moment, serenity written on his features...

The alarm wakes Tulug from his rest with a start. He is back in the common room in Derri, the floor hard even with his bedroll spread out on it. The half-orc stands and rolls his shoulders before taking his spear in hand from where it leans on the wall. Perhaps the bandits who had been harassing the village had finally decided to show their faces in earnest. The day when they did that could not come fast enough, in Tulug's opinion; the longer this waiting lasted, the worse the nerves of the defenders would get.

As he finishes preparing by fastening his belt that holds his throwing darts, Tulug responds succinctly to Petyr's question with a deep voice, "no, but I don't intend to keep it that way." The half-orc then begins making his way towards the door to find out where the alarm is coming from.

Fischer
2015-10-15, 06:09 AM
Gale stared up at the stars, humming quietly. She was outside the common hall, sitting against the wall and considering the melody that had been winding its way around her head for the past hours. Sleep could wait until she was sure she had experienced all this tune could offer. That was the only way she could be sure she'd remember it- and this one was worth remembering.

Her meditation was broken when the alarm horn blew, and she was seized with a sudden panic. Not now, I was almost finished! She rose, still humming, but knew the melody would fade in time. As good things have a habit of doing in this world... She let that melancholy thought bounce about in her head as she poked her head into the common hall, nearly bumping into Tulag. She recognized the towering half-orc from the past few days spent in the common hall.

"Sorry, uh, Tulag was it? You look like you know where you're going. Mind if I follow? I want to help with whatever's happening."

nerk
2015-10-15, 10:08 AM
As Petyr and Tobias begin to don their armor, the others head out into the village center, to find things in a state of chaos, with half-asleep villagers milling about in confusion, asking many of the same questions. What's going on? Who sounded the alarm? Are we in danger? Finally Hanos Derri, the elder son of the Prince, bellows for silence.

"Soldier, report," he shouts.

From the watchtower by the village gate, an orc points to the North. Those who have been here a few days, or longer, would recognize him as one of the Prince's guards. Tobias and Petyr burst out of the common hall, buckling the last straps of their armor, as he speaks.

"Fire at the Zopas farm," he calls down. He squints off into the distance, and his arm swings a little to the right. "And it looks like ... yes, fire at the Giereas place, as well."

Hanos scowls and then turns to the crowd.

"We are under attack," he says. "My Aunt Airesa has come. Arm yourselves, be ready to repel the enemy. Those of you who cannot fight, to the well. We need to wet the roofs and be ready to contain any fires." He then turns to another of his orcish guards and issues more specific orders. "Reinforce the gate, wake Lady Ghanette and the rest of the guard, tell Thamaf to get his knights ready."

The orc barks commands in his language, and others spring into action, obeying his commands. The rest of the villagers slowly begin to move, following Hanos's instructions. A few seem purposeful, many are close to panic.

The Zopas farm is roughly a half-mile out of town, just to the west side of the road to Dary's Knoll. The family is sternly governed by a matriarch, with two grown sons, a daughter-in-law and three youngish grandchildren. They grow what crops they can and have a good-sized herd of goats who graze in the hills.

The Giereas' are an elven couple who live in a tiny hovel overlooking the Rack River Valley, who are known to be standoffish but talented healers. Their place is a mile from the village gate, and the path to their home passes along the edge of the Zopas' fields, but there has never been any enmity between the families.

In addition to a half dozen other small households within a mile or so of the gates, mainly to the west, there is also the quarry, a mile away to the south and east. At least twenty of the village men spend their nights there, only returning to their homes and families for festivals and week's end. There are other houses even further off as well, deep in the wilds of the valley.

Amaril
2015-10-15, 11:23 AM
Petyr's jaw sets in determination as he finishes tightening his belt. So it's really happening...

He mentally goes over his equipment one last time as he makes to join the procession of fighters headed for the outer wall. Sword at his left hip, like always; quiver at his right, bow strung and ready over his shoulders; boot dagger safely tucked away. His cloak remains behind in the common hall, leaving his weapons, mail coat, and steel half-helm visible to all. Wouldn't want it getting in the way, and there's no rain in any case. His pack rests with it, though on a last-minute impulse, he'd dug out the vial of anesthetic and stowed it in his trouser pocket. No telling when the stuff would come in handy.

"We have a plan?" he asks the nearest warrior as he falls in line with the group.

ProudGrognard
2015-10-15, 03:04 PM
Crixus

The waves crush in the catapult-torn hull of the ship and bob it gently, like a baby 's cradle. After last night's storm, even the weather has apparently decided that the Rackport Marines are not worth its trouble. Well, the joke was on it. The pouring rain was the only water Crixus had drunk in three days. He would crawl to the puddle formed just some meters away, if he could spare the energy. Crixus could not. None of the sixteen survivors of the battle could.

Crixus had heard of what his condition was. Sailors talked about it. He would have been very worried, if he wasn't delirious from thirst, blood loss and fever. But finally, his brain had given up and waited for his body to die. There was no pain anymore. No sensations. In the relative comfort of approaching death, Crixus was smiling while thinking of how he got to this.

Three years of fighting. Three years of killing. Three years of cold, salt and deprivation. And for what? To make an old man even richer. Though putting Greendeath down was almost a worthwhile goal. Almost.

Crixus hears yelling. Someone cries with sobs while yelling "Sail! Sail!". Crixus can barely turn his head, with his torso and hand broken. But through the hole in derelict, he sees the other ship approaching. With hope, pain starts again...

Crixus is instantly up when the bell starts ringing. This was usually where the nightmare ended anyway. Unconsciously reaching for his wate bottle, he takes a sip to clean his mouth of remembered tastes. And then he is up and running with the others, his halberd in hand. Having no armor to strap on makes him get there fast.

So. It has begun. And only two days after he arrived. They were waiting for him, hah? That would be his luck. Or opportunity.

Crixus waits, at a comfortable at-ease, his halberd in hand. Someone would start issuing orders soon. Nobles and commanders love to do that.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-15, 07:02 PM
"People are going to get hurt tonight, good people," Tobias said. His voice was soft, but loud enough to be heard. He had a grim look on his face. "The Giereas' are healers, and their services will likely be needed, if they're alive. And the Zopa's have little ones. Whatever plan we get better involve a rescue mission."

"If not," he added, "I'll be going out there myself."

The Hellbug
2015-10-15, 07:21 PM
"Sorry, uh, Tulag was it? You look like you know where you're going. Mind if I follow? I want to help with whatever's happening."

"If that is what you desire," is the half-orc's response. As the young woman steps in behind him, Tulug can't help but think that she does not have the look of a fighter, but he had been surprised before--if some of the other monks at his monastery had chosen to do so, they could have easily passed for an untrained peasant.

After the announcement by Captain Hanos, the fear and anxiety running through the crowd are palpable; even he can feel a tinge of nervousness like a pit in his stomach. In the face of such emotions, Gale's earlier enthusiasm is a small comfort.

"I'll be going out there myself."

"That won't be necessary," Tulug says as he makes his way toward Tobias, "every moment we waste is another chance for these brigands to harm us. If you go, my spear will follow."

ProudGrognard
2015-10-15, 11:36 PM
Crixus

Crixus turns as the one with the soft voice speaks. Someone who seems to know the area, and who has his priorities straight. And a cool head. All very, very valuable qualities. He shifts his halberd on the marching position.

"I am Crixus, formerly a Colonel on the Royal Rackport Marines. I Ill be going with you. I say we start with the family. The healers might be more capable of defending themselves until we get there. In either case, lead on. When we are closer to the target, I can help track"

Unconsciously, Crixus has fallen back to crisp, military terminology. Old habits die hard.

Fischer
2015-10-16, 06:53 AM
As Gale listened to the prince's words, she felt a wave of grief for the families whose homes had been burned. She hadn't known them, but in a way that made it worse- now she never would. When Tobias mentioned there were children at one of the farms, she felt her throat go tight.

"That's horrible..." she whispered to herself, but when Tobias mentioned his rescue mission, her spirits lifted somewhat. "You think they're still alive out there? If there's a chance..." She walked over to stand beside Tobias. "Gale Grenindorn at your service. I may not be the strongest warrior, but I've got some tricks up my sleeve. I can help."

nerk
2015-10-16, 12:37 PM
You were only a child the last time you encountered Airesa, but this has an eerie familiarity. You remember hearing your father talking about the farms that were burning, and Lord Gawen sobbing as he made the decision to let them burn. You remember the sky was streaked with smoke the next morning, and the way it felt like the battle was already lost, though it hadn't truly begun.

The village wall is a simple wooden palisade made of heavy tree trunks, buried in the earth and braced with stones at the bottom. It stands twelve feet tall. There is no wall walk, but many of the villages homes are built against it, and the roofs seem to be doing duty as positions for archers.

Under the direction of the orcs, barrels, boulders and a small wagon are rolled against the gate to barricade it. There is a small postern on the opposite side of the village, that opens onto a narrow ledge at the top of a cliff. A path leads down into the valley west of the village.

At first, everyone seems too busy to bother with you, but as you begin to form a group, one of the orcs draws Hanos's attention your way. He scowls for a moment, and then turns away to issue other orders, keeping the villagers moving.

Amaril
2015-10-16, 12:48 PM
Petyr licks his suddenly dry lips, memories flashing in his mind. The plumes of smoke are hardly visible against the dark sky, but even so they seem to loom and menace, like an army of giants. His knuckles whiten on the hilt of his sword. This time, it'll be different.

Catching sight of the archers taking up positions on the rooftops, he starts looking around for a staircase, or a place to climb up. He pays little mind to the others nearby, or to Hanos. If the commander didn't want to give him orders, he'd follow his own judgment.

Estralita
2015-10-16, 01:56 PM
No wonder she was dreaming of smoke. The fire had followed her. Mara felt her blood run cold. She hadn't reached the stage of her training where she could ignore fear. But more than that, she felt paralyzed, trying to figure out which way she was supposed to go. Whether she was needed to heal, or fight. Either way, people were going to be hurt.

But in a way, there wasn't a choice. Or rather, she had made the choice a long time ago. She was a paladin, and she knew her duty. Even in her sleep, she went for her rapier before her Healer's Kit.

Mara prepared herself for battle. She called out to the others, "Stand strong. We will repel the attackers by sunrise, or I will buy the whole squadron drinks!"

How much speechifying do I need to do to activate Inspiring Leader?

nerk
2015-10-16, 03:44 PM
((Petyr, there are ladders onto the roofs of the houses near the wall))

((I don't think you need to write out the full 10 minute speech, but a little taste of something wouldn't hurt. It can be "Friends, Romans, Countrymen," or "chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!" but a little something))

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-16, 07:41 PM
Tobias shook hands with the large half-orc that stepped up to pledge his spear to aid with the rescue.

"Colonel." Tobias regards Crixis with a nod. "My name is Tobias Wendelain, formerly Sergeant of the militia under Geordain II."

"You think they're still alive out there? If there's a chance..." said a young half-elven woman. She approached Tobias to stand beside him. "Gale Grenindorn at your service. I may not be the strongest warrior, but I've got some tricks up my sleeve. I can help."

"I'm sure you can," Tobias said, placing a hand on Gale's shoulder. He gave a brief smile before getting serious again.

"Stand strong. We will repel the attackers by sunrise, or I will buy the whole squadron drinks!" Another young woman rallied the rest of them. This one was human, dressed in armor and holding a shield bearing the symbol of Paroc, remarkably similar to Tobias's own shield. He recognized her as a paladin immediately.

"Paladin!" He called to her. "Have you any inspiring words for us before we depart to bring justice to those who seek our blood?"

Tobias looked around, noting both nervousness and eagerness on the faces of those around him. Gale seemed worried. Crixis stood in the relaxed yet alert way that comes from military service, while the other young warrior among them licked his lips and scanned the top of the wall. The half-orc looked ready for a fight. Tobias noted it with satisfaction, those with orcish blood were always fierce combatants and the old soldier always liked having one at his side.

The Hellbug
2015-10-17, 12:35 AM
Tulug

Tulug tightens his grip on the shaft of his weapon. His place was not on the wall hurling missiles but amongst the enemy, dealing death at a spear's lengthr. "The walls are strong," Tulug says sternly, "but the victims of those fires don't have their benefit. A small sortie through the postern could perhaps evade the main force and make it to those in need."

Estralita
2015-10-17, 01:35 AM
Mara was a bit hesitant to give a big speech. She knew that she had only just qualified as a paladin. She hadn't even taken her vows yet. But if a fellow follower of Paroc thought it was best to give some encouragement, then who was she to question it? Staying where she was, Mara spoke loud enough that the company could hear.

"My friends, I would not call myself the wisest of us all. I am certainly not the most experienced. I can only say what I believe, and what I've learned. But what I've learned in my time on this world is that it's better to go out and make a difference, to try your hardest and go out fighting, than to run away. While running may seem like the best way to stay safe, the world is not made for those who run, because no matter where you run to, danger will always find you. And I believe that we are the ones who are brave enough, and smart enough to face our attackers head on. I believe in this, and I believe in all of you! So let's fight with all our hearts and souls and remind them who's town this is!

Inspirational speeches are hard. Please tell me that was enough. Pretty please:smallbiggrin:

ProudGrognard
2015-10-17, 07:01 AM
Crixus

Something is not quite right. Why is the leader scowling like that? He should be happy. Crixus has had to learn deep mistrust of anyone at the top levels of government. He approaches the man Tobias and says in a soft whisper.

"Heya there. Why is the Baron's son unhappy to see us go? Are we sure that we know the whole picture here? Perhaps if we go and investigate, we will find ...inconvenient truths.

I will go, mind you. I am just saying we must be ready for all possibilities"

Then the handsome but rough lady speaks. A paladin, hah? Never seen one of those. They are pretty capable, Crixus has heard. And powered by more than strength at arms.

nerk
2015-10-17, 09:16 AM
As Mara speaks, you all feel yourselves more determined than before to do what you must. ((everyone gains 4 temporary hp))

While she speaks, Petyr climbs a ladder onto the roof of a building near the wall, where one of Hanos's archers has set up his bow and quiver, and is emptying buckets of water onto the roof.

From this vantage, Petyr can see what must be the Zopas farm, burning like a massive bonfire a half mile off. There is no doubt that the house is lost, but Petyr doesn't see anyone moving near by. Closer by as the crow flies is the Giereas place. The fire there is well along, though mainly the roof is burning at this point. It is close enough that he can see the door is open, and a body lies just outside.

His eye is drawn by flickering lights a little distance to the right, down in the valley, a little more than a mile off. Another fire started, and then another at the foot of the hill to the east side of the road. He can hear screams in the distance.

"Owis and Walak," the archer sounds ill as he gives the names of the families whose houses are now catching fire. The Walak place is close enough with a clear enough view that he can see a short, stout figure charge out of the door and quickly fall back.

Owis is a solitary goblin, a poacher, petty thief and scavenger for the most part. He doesn't like anyone, and the feeling is mostly mutual. The Walak are a family of dwarven miners, at least, that's what they call themselves. They have goats and a garden and have never been known to offer anything resembling a mineral to trade, though they do dig a lot of holes.

Amaril
2015-10-17, 10:14 AM
Petyr finds his own stomach turning as the screams drift in from the farms. He glances down to the assembled warriors on the ground below. "Hey!" he calls out. "Is there going to be a sortie? Those people out there are defenceless."

ProudGrognard
2015-10-17, 12:35 PM
Crixus

"My thoughts exactly, neighbor. We should be going! Let 's go the family stead first."

He looks around, calm but obviously in a mood to speed things up.

"I say Tobias leads the way, because he is from around here. I can also be in the frontline, since I can help track and my specialty is smashing people 's face, up close and personal. Lady paladin, do you object guarding the rear? Or perhaps you, Petyr? Either way, we should get moving."

nerk
2015-10-17, 12:57 PM
"There will be no sortie," Hanos snarls. "My duty is to defend this village, and I will not throw men away that are needed here. Those people out there are bait. Airesa is out there, waiting for me to send my men out so she can close her trap. I pray our people will find their way to safety, but they chose to live outside of these walls. They knew war was coming, and they chose to stay outside the walls. That was their choice. I will not send any of my men through the postern to try to save those people, to send them to Catfish or Hardwood or somewhere safe. There will be no sortie."

He sounds fairly bitter about it. It is clear that he is not going to send his men out, but he seems almost to be encouraging you to go yourselves.

Estralita
2015-10-17, 03:29 PM
Mara felt her lip curl reflexively at suggestion to leave the people out there with no support, but she forced herself to be civil. Like many, he was trying to balance lots of different factors for his people's safety. Still, there was a slight edge to her voice as she replied, "You and your men may do as you see fit. But I have only one commander, and my duty is clear. To protect those in need and repel the invaders." Mara turns to the gathered people not under his official command, the ones who had already been proposing strategies. "Do you agree?"

Amaril
2015-10-17, 04:19 PM
Petyr is halfway down the ladder by the time the woman speaks. Hopping off and falling the rest of the way down, he nods to her. "I'll go." He turns to the commander. "Sorry, but I'm not one of your soldiers, and I'm not following that order. Not that I'd imagine you'd care if I got myself killed, so there's nothing for you to worry about."

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-17, 07:46 PM
Tobias nodded in agreement with the young paladin's statement. He narrowed his eyes at Hanos.

"Hanos, you coward!" He called in response to the nobleman. "You stay here with your men and guard your wall, while the old man and the strangers go out and rescue your people!"

"I hope you survive this night," the old cleric added, fully meaning the curse in the statement.

Tobias turned to address the gathered "strangers" he had fallen among. Deep down, part of him was proud of this group already. Such fire in their young hearts. "I will lead the way, by directing our path, but I don't want the responsibility of leading the group by directing your actions," he said. "I've since left that life behind me."

nerk
2015-10-18, 09:21 AM
A few of the villagers have stopped to watch the conversation. Hanos frowns at your words and then gives a dismissive gesture towards the postern gate.

"May Umha watch over you," he says. "Save those you can. Survive, and I will personally see you receive the reward you deserve." He turns to the villagers that are watching and barks orders, getting them back to work carrying water to wet down the village's roofs.

=========

The postern gate was built before the well was dug, to give access to the creek in the valley below. It is a stair that drops under the wall, low and narrow, forcing anyone taller than 5' to duck down. There is a portcullis at the top, a stout door at the bottom, and a murder hole directly over the door. One of Hanos' archers is in place, to stop any attempt to storm the postern, and to close the door behind you. It opens onto a narrow ledge at the top of a 40' tall cliff. It's possible to skirt around the walls (single file) or to follow a path down the cliff (also single file). At the bottom of the cliff, the land changes dramatically, from the rocky, grass covered hills to the valley bottomlands, a dense forest with marshy patches, crisscrossed by hunter's paths and game trails.

Fischer
2015-10-18, 11:20 AM
"You and your men may do as you see fit. But I have only one commander, and my duty is clear. To protect those in need and repel the invaders." Mara turns to the gathered people not under his official command, the ones who had already been proposing strategies. "Do you agree?"

"I'm with you!" With Mara's inspiring words still running through her mind, Gale was perfectly ready to ignore Hanos's directions and follow Mara, Petyr, and Tobias on the sortie.

Upon reaching the postern gate, Gale involuntarily glanced out over the cliff. It was a long way down, and she could feel the vertigo tugging at her. She resolved to keep her eyes up, and found a spot on Mara's shoulder to focus on. She needed to keep her head clear. There would probably be fighting at the farms ahead- people's lives would depend on her being at her best.

The Hellbug
2015-10-18, 11:35 AM
Tulug

After Hanos finishes, Tulug makes a slight bow towards him and responds with a blessing, "may She Who Walks the Tumultuous Path guide you as well."

Tulug quietly falls in in the back of the group, trusting Tobias to lead them out of the village and to the farmhouses. As they pass under the postern, he reaches into a pocket to grip his holy symbol for a moment as he descends after the other adventurers.

Looks like we've got a lot of natural group leaders so Tulug will fall back to the rearguard behind Tobias and Gale.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-18, 03:18 PM
With a word, Tobias casts a spell of Light, illuminating the head of his mace as the group leaves through the postern gate.

"I know I shouldn't have scolded Hanoc like that," he said to nobody in particular. "I just hate having to sit on my hands while the nobles hem and haw about what to do."

"Anyway, let's go. We've tarried too much as it is."

Tobias began to guide the group towards the Zopa's homestead.

Amaril
2015-10-18, 05:00 PM
Petyr quirks an eyebrow at the sight of the old man's mace lighting up. He's seen magic used a few times in his life--some of the people his father fought beside were magicians--but it's always been something foreign to him, something mysterious that's never seemed like part of his life. Fighting beside a magician himself promises to be a novel experience.
"So what are all your names?" he asks as he falls in line behind the old man. If he's going into battle with them, he'd at least like to know that.

nerk
2015-10-19, 10:33 AM
The group sets out through the postern and edges their way along the edge of the cliff. Petyr slips, nearly falling, and a few stones clatter away into the darkness below, reminding you all that it's a very long way down. Nobody falls, though, and soon you're clear of the walls and are able to move a short way off from the ledge. The ground is steep, and littered with rocks, from patches of loose gravel to boulders the size of small huts. Occasionally, a gully cuts across your path, necessitating detours, and you pass within a few hundred yards of the blazing Giereas hovel, on the far side of a particularly steep ravine.

A short while later, you reach the path that leads to their house, and the edge of the Zopas' fields. The house, barn and other buildings are burning fiercely still, though they have collapsed in on themselves. A hundred yards away, you can already feel the heat from the fires, and as you come closer, you begin to feel as though you are too late to save the Zopas family. When you are close enough to the fire that you start to feel like bread baking in an oven, you see a single, small body laying face down in a pool of dry blood.

Fischer
2015-10-19, 11:32 AM
"So what are all your names?"

"You probably heard earlier- I'm Gale. Pleased to meet you all. It's inspiring to see this many strangers come together to help people. I hope we can make a difference."

As the group approached the Zopas farm, and the full extent of the damage became apparent, Gale's heart sunk. We're too late... She gritted her teeth as the heat grew, but let out a small gasp when she spotted the body.

"There! One of the young ones? she said quietly, glancing around at the group. "Is anyone here a healer? They might still live!"

Estralita
2015-10-19, 01:04 PM
"I'm Mara, Paladin of Paroc. It is nice to meet you all. At least some people know what their duty is." Mara walked in silence for the rest of the walk over, listening for trouble. Which they eventually found.

Once she saw the child, Mara snapped into action she rushed over, threw her pack to the ground and yanked out her Healer's Kit. The little girl was still breathing, Mara could still save her if she acted fast. Use the Healer's Kit to stabilize her, then a small touch of divine healing. It might just be enough. If it wasn't...

Like I said, using Healer's Kit to stabilize, then Lay on Hands to Heal 1 HP for good measure

The Hellbug
2015-10-19, 01:32 PM
Tulug

"I am called Tulug, follower of Umha," the half-orc says in introduction, "my will is that of my goddess."

We are too late--perhaps already were as soon as the alarm sounded is Tulug's first thought as the group encounters the destruction at the homestead. Maybe the captain was right, and not one of those living outside the walls can be saved.

However, he feels a spark of hope as the paladin rushes over to the prostate form of the child. As Mara tries to treat the child's injuries, Tulug, knowing he has little use as a healer, begins to walk around towards the other side of the burning buildings, looking for other survivors or other less savory things that the raiders may have left behind.

Tulug's looking specifically for the other family members or signs of an ambush. If the captain thought holing up behind the walls was a good idea, there must be a reason for it, and a potential trap would be a good one.

peerception: [roll0]

nerk
2015-10-19, 06:20 PM
Mara's efforts are rewarded as the girl coughs several times and finally spits up a shocking amount of blood. Her breathing is weak, but steadier than before. The girl's leg is badly broken, her knee swollen up lIke a pumpkin, and a sword was thrust through her chest. By some miracle it did not kill her instantly, though blood loss and shock had nearly done the job. The magic wakes her, but only enough to make her scream in pain.

Tulug finds nothing, no sign of any of the other members of the family, or of those that set the house alight.

Crixus finds many, many tracks. It is a farmyard, after all. On the path leading towards the road, though, he sees fresh prints in the thin layer of ash. Several sets of tracks, some booted and some bare, adult sized and child, leading towards the road.

To the east, high on a hilltop, another orange flare shows another home aflame. It is the Falun home. They are newlywed, herders mainly.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-19, 07:45 PM
"Tobias Wendelain." The cleric introduced himself.

----------

The Zopas' place was a wreck. The paladin, Mara, reacted faster than Tobias did at the sight of the injured child. Wary of a trap, he stood guard over them as Mara tended to the girl's wounds. As the girl regained consciousness and began to cry, Tobias knelt down beside her and attempted to soothe her.

((OOC: Do I know her name?))

As he did, the sight of yet another burning home caught his eye.

The Hellbug
2015-10-20, 12:02 AM
Tulug finishes his circuit of the house just as the girl comes to. Although relieved that the the girl is alive, her screams will surely draw attention to their position, which is made less tenable by the fact that they now have wounded with them. Tulug, frankly, has no idea what to do about the victim in front of them. Getting her to safety will be no easy task, as the town is likely to be besieged very soon but bringing her with them seems an even less appetizing course of action. The result is that Tulug stands around uncomfortably while the others try to calm her.

As soon as someone can stop the girl's screams, Tulug volunteers the information he gained from surveying the grounds, "no signs of the bandits or the rest of the family." He points to the newly alighted homestead on the hilltop, "we need to hurry, though; our foes continue to raid the outlying homes."

ProudGrognard
2015-10-20, 04:34 AM
Crixus

Seeing no other survivors, Crixus is at least glad this girl survived. At lease when he was fighting in the sea, there were only cutthroats to injure. Here... it is different. He returns to the others.

"I see no foe to fight here and many other places in flames. Let 's just go from house to house by the shortest route. We do not know where they will strike next"

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-21, 07:38 AM
"Zania," Tobias whispers as he stows his glowing mace somewhere where the light is still effective, "I've got you, child. You're safe now." He then picks up the wounded girl, holding her up with one arm while still holding his shield. "Thank you," the old cleric nods to Mara. "She owes you her life."

"If we're to get moving," Tobias said to the others, "we'd best be doing so soon."

nerk
2015-10-21, 08:45 AM
The child is frightened and suffering, despite the healing. It is only a moment before it overwhelms her and she passes out. She wakens as Tobias gathers her up. For a moment she struggles, but then she recognizes him and her eyes close again. Tobias guesses sleep is the best thing for her.

As the group sets off, the fire behind them casts long shadows for a long time. A few minutes walk brings you to the road, which is deserted, and you set off up the hill to the Falun home. It's steep, making things a bit difficult for Tobias in particular, but you're managing well enough.

You come around a boulder and find yourself looking up an open stretch of steep, grassy hillside at another group. Some of you recognize the Artos and Jinna Falun, in their night clothes, covered in soot and ash. The four men with them are ragged and filthy, wearing cocky smiles and much-patched leather armor. They have their swords drawn, and their smiles only widen when they see you.

((No surprise for either side))

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

((Mara and Gale will go before the NPCs, then the NPCs will act, and then everyone can act (including Mara and Gale, who will be taking their actions from round 2 in the same moment that the rest of you are taking your actions from round 1. It's not perfect, but I'd rather err on the side of keeping things moving.))

Estralita
2015-10-21, 05:34 PM
Mara's relief at the girl's health was quickly tempered when she saw the other houses blazing. There was still so much to do, and there was no one to look after the little girl except them. Keeping the girl safe meant bringing her with them, possibly into danger."Paroc, give us strength," she whispered as the ran to the next house.

The smiling was what did it. Smiling like this was all a fun game. The burning house, the injured and the dying. Mara stepped forwards, rapier in hand and buckler on her arm. The holy symbol of Paroc gleamed from the shield."You think this is funny? Some sort of game? This is no game. The only consequence for this will be pain and death, and the ones who suffer will be you. Surrender now and admit your wrongs, or face your consequences."

Intimidate Check:

[roll0]

Fischer
2015-10-22, 12:35 PM
Gale was filled with a mixture of relief and anger as Mara and Tobias took care of Zania. Relief that the child was alive and might recover, and anger that their enemies would stoop to attacking defenseless innocents. When the group rounded the boulder and the armed and menacing enemy came into view, Gale let that anger push away her fear.

"Look at you! You need four swords to murder unarmed children and farmers? Pathetic!" she yelled, pushing her anger and disgust through her words with a bit of power. Words could bite deep- something she had well learned from old Harric many years ago.

Vicious mockery against one of the enemies (is there anything to distinguish them at the moment?)
Wis DC 13 or [roll0] damage and disadvantage on next attack roll.

nerk
2015-10-23, 09:37 AM
Artos and Jinna Falun look up with a glimmer of hope in their eyes when they see you confronting their captors. At the same moment, Zania begins to squirm in Tobias's arms, her eyes wide with fright.

Mara speaks, threatening them but they only exchange glances and laugh. Then Gale speaks, and the tall, gangly swordsman winces as if struck. He bellows in fury, and rushes down the hill towards the party, drawing a dagger with his free hand. He throws it at Gale, and it flies at least two feet over the party's heads.

The others hold their ground. One of them grabs Jinna and puts his sword to her back. Another grabs Artos, holding him while the third slides his sword through his ribs. Artos gasps and falls dead, and the one holding Jinna calls out.

"It's up to you," he says. "I don't mind killing her."

((Gale, they are all pretty interchangeable, one might have more pockmarks on his face, another greasier hair, another blacker teeth. We'll assume you targeted the one who looks the most like Joey Ramone.))

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

((That's the NPCs round, it's now your turn. Feel free to post when you get the chance, I will resolve actions in the order posted. The swordsmen have AC 12 and 11 hps, they are 30' from your front line (except the one so viciously mocked, who has 10 hps and is 15' from your front line) and remember it is difficult terrain (so your movement is effectively halved).))

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-24, 05:46 AM
"Look away, Zania," Tobias whispers to the girl, shielding her eyes from the murder. "Tonight's horrors aren't over just yet."

The cleric levels his gaze at the man holding Jinna hostage. "You won't be killing anyone anymore."

He steps forwards 5 feet. A short prayer accompanied with a gesture follows, as Tobias casts Sanctuary on Jinna, protecting her.

Sanctuary means that anyone attempting to harm Jinna must make a DC13 Wisdom Save first.
Casting it was a bonus action, so Tobias's action is Dodging, so anyone attacking him has Disadvantage.

The Hellbug
2015-10-24, 09:24 AM
Tulug

After the bandit hurls his knife at the heroes, Tulug gives his fellows one more moment to attempt to make the situation safer for the other prisoner before attacking. As soon as Tobias casts his spell, Tulug springs into action. He quickly makes his way to the front of the group, hindered though he is by the rocky ground, and reaches into the pouch on his belt for one of his darts. "So be it," the half orc roars as he hurls the projectile at the advancing bandit, "not one of you will be spared!"

Move 15 ft forward and attack with a dart.

attack: [roll0]
advantage/disadvantage: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]
crit?: [roll3]

Fischer
2015-10-24, 10:49 AM
Gale flinches slightly as the dagger flies over her head. Then she turns back towards her assailant and laughs. "Nice aim! I don't think the ground will ever recover from that dagger wound!"

Vicious mockery again, that's DC 13 and [roll0] damage.

ProudGrognard
2015-10-24, 01:42 PM
Crixus
AC 14 HP 15+5

Crixus has remained silent this whole time and unusually late to react. The presence of civilians seems to have distracted him, making distrust his instinct. But then with an almost audible grunt, he is off and moving, his halberd swinging,he goes for the opponent closer to him and steps strongly just at the edge of his reach, making pay if he wants to get nearer. His feet planted steadily- another maritime instinct- he swings hard and then once again, with the butt of the halberd

Staying 10ft away and making use of Polearm master for the bonus attack.
[roll0] dmg [roll1] and [roll2] dmg [roll3]

nerk
2015-10-25, 08:46 AM
Tobias moves forward, cradling the child, and sends his prayer of protection to Jinna, causing her to shimmer, reflecting the light from his mace as though she were polished steel.

Tulug pushes up from the back and throws a dart, striking the advancing foe square in the chest and stopping him in his tracks.

Gale adds insult to injury, and the shock and pain on the man's face turn to anger again in the moment before his head is split in two by Crixus's halberd. The ex-marine swings the butt end of the weapon and catches the falling corpse with a powerful blow that flings it off to the side.

The remaining swordsmen stare in fright.

Estralita
2015-10-25, 12:40 PM
Mara felt her heart sink as the men killed Artos like it was nothing. Her comrades recognized the horror of what they had done, and moved to both protect Jinna, and fight them off. Once the men were on the ropes, Mara walked forwards purposefully.

"You see now we are capable of ending your fun- Mara snarled the word "This is your last chance. Do you really want to die tonight?"

Second try at an Intimidate Check:

[roll0]

Also moving as close to the men as possible in a single turn.

nerk
2015-10-26, 03:46 PM
As Mara steps forward, challenging the three remaining men, their fear betrays them. The two who killed Artos turn and sprint away into the darkness. Tulug is able to see them disappear behind boulders at the limit of his darkvision. It is impossible not to hear them yelling at the top of their lungs, calling "Betrayal! Enemies! We are attacked!"

The one who holds Jinna sneers, and flexes his sword arm, but finds himself unable to push the blade into the woman's back.

"Devils!" he hisses, and turns to run as well, moving another 15 feet up the hill.

((ooc The two are effectively gone, unless you wish to pursue them, the last is (as well as I can tell) 35' from Crixus, 40' from Mara and Tulug, 45' from Petyr and Tobias, and 50' from Gale. If that seems wrong to you, see me in the ooc thread))

[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-26, 07:46 PM
"'Devils', bah!" Tobias muttered as the bandit fled. "I'll give you a devil." The cleric spoke an incantation and spit in the direction of the fleeing man, sending an ember of flame towards the man.

"Jinna!" he called, moving towards the woman. "Stay close. Paroc may not even know how many more of them are about."

Tobias cast Sacred Flame at the fleeing man. If he fails his DC 13 Dex Saving throw, he'll take [roll0] Radiant damage. Tobias then moved 15' (his maximum in the difficult terrain, I believe) towards Jinna. He's still carrying Zania.

Estralita
2015-10-26, 08:12 PM
Mara gulped. "Did-Did I just make things worse?"she whispered. Mara looked around, trying to get a sense of where they went. It wasn't that she wanted them to stay, potentially killing her allies. Or that she wanted them to die either. In an ideal scenario, she would have been able to detain them and have them brought to justice. But that wasn't the way of the world. And now the men were quite possible calling for reinforcements

Perception Check trying to see or hear people running away or approaching. Rolling with disadvantage because it's night:
[roll0]
[roll1]

The Hellbug
2015-10-27, 12:02 AM
Tulug

Tulug walks up to Jinna's side and draws another dart in case the bandits regain their courage. "Let them flee," the half orc boasts, "there's nothing to be gained in cutting down cowards like ripe wheat." As soon as someone else has Jinna well in hand, he walks back to retrieve his spear before rejoining the company.

nerk
2015-10-27, 07:57 AM
[roll0]

The fleeing bandit yelps in pain as Tobias strikes at him with the god's fire.

As soon as she is free from his grip, Jinna falls to her knees beside her husband, wailing in grief. The sound almost drowns out a more troubling sound, the shouts responding to the bandits cries for help. The dark and the hills make it hard to guess how far or in what direction they come from, but Mara hears at least three voices calling back.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-27, 06:51 PM
"Jinna," Tobias whispers to the grieving woman. "You need to get back to town. There's nothing that can be done for Artos now. I'm sorry."

"We can show you the path we too to get here. If you take Zania and get to safetly, we will be able to protect you." He sighed, dreading the emotional knife he twists with his next words. "He wouldn't want you to die out here too."

I assume talking is a free action (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingIsAFreeAction) is in play. I'm also assuming that we're still technically in battle and that it's not my turn.

ProudGrognard
2015-10-28, 01:40 AM
Crixus

As the bandits flee, Crixus looks around. The girl would be better taken care of by someone who is good at words.

"There are more coming. That's good. I would hate to have to track the bastards all over the place. We should take positions and choose where to tackle them. They sure aren't going to come and chat.

Though I am curious of the betrayal the keep yelping about.We should keep one for questioning"

Survival and or Perception to find a place we can spring an ambush from. Somewhere with visibility, perhaps cover from which to launch a few missiles and where lines of retreat can be cut.

Perception [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

nerk
2015-10-28, 10:31 AM
Yes, it is not your turn. And Yes, talk is free. Whether or not you're in battle really depends on whether or not anyone else takes action to stop the bandit fleeing.

Crixus quickly assesses the landscape, deciding it is excellent territory for an ambush. There are boulders as big as small houses scattered around the hillside, as well as smaller ones. They can be easily hidden behind, or atop of. This is a double edged sword, unfortunately, as it's impossible to find a location with a command of every direction. The best bets seem to be either a narrow (single file) passage between two boulders that runs north and south, or a wide, flat boulder near the hilltop you could climb up on and have a vantage at anyone making their way up or along the slope.

Jinna looks up at Tobias with a blank look on her face, almost beyond understanding his words. She sees the child, though, and slowly rises to her feet. She takes Zania and shivers as she awaits further instructions.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-30, 08:00 PM
Tobias places a hand on Jinna's shoulder, frowning sympathetically.

"We will return with his body," he says. "I promise."

He then directed her towards the path the party had taken to get here.

The Hellbug
2015-10-31, 02:18 AM
Tulug

As Jinna prepares to go, Tulug, frowning, sends a single word her way, "wait." Though he would rather that the warriors not have to worry about a couple of noncombatants, now that they have been rescued they are at least partially his responsibility, "the bandits are still out there. The safest place for miles right now may still be at our side. I can guarantee you will witness more violence if you stay with us, but at least you will be safe from a blade in the dark."

nerk
2015-10-31, 08:07 AM
Jinna turns to leave, her eyes wide and fearful, her movements slow and stiff. Zania in her arms is barely conscious.

When Tulug speaks, Jinna stops and slowly turns to look at him. She closes her eyes for a moment, digging deep within herself to gather what strength she has left.

"What do you think, child?" she whispers to Zania. "Should we stay with these folk?"

Zania looks up at Jinna and then nods her head slowly

"I want to stay with them." She looks at Tulug, Tobias, and the rest of the group. Then she gestures to her broken leg, and the wound in her chest. "I want to see the people who did this killed."

Estralita
2015-10-31, 01:43 PM
Mara had had similar concerns about the two traveling back alone, but hadn't voiced them. She wasn't feeling especially good about her own judgement at the moment. But the others seemed to agree with her, and Mara knew her duty.

Mara walked up to the two, and tried to give a reassuring smile."Hello, my name is Mara, and I'm a paladin of Paroc. Don't worry, we'll keep you safe." Once she was in position, Mara turned to listen for any sort of approach.

May I roll another Perception check or is it too soon after my last one?

nerk
2015-10-31, 09:09 PM
Go for it. Even though we're not in rounds the situation is pretty fluid.

Estralita
2015-10-31, 09:35 PM
Mara made a second attempt to judge if there were hostiles approaching, and where they were coming from.

Like I said, Perception Check
[roll0]

...Someone Else might want to give it a try.

The Hellbug
2015-11-01, 04:33 PM
Tulug

Tulug nods to the noncombatants. The child's bloodthirsty wish takes him by surprise, but there will be time later for someone to lecture her on the misfortunes that must befall someone when they are motivated by revenge. For now, preparing for the bandit counterattack takes precedence. Tulug closes his eyes--they won't help him in this darkness anyway--and tries to get a sense of where the bandits' shouts are coming from.

Perception: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2015-11-02, 12:16 AM
Crixus

Crixus goes ahead and starts pointing boulders and places.

"Here we can have an excellent ambush. I can hide beneath this one, it is big one. Another one can take this. That one is perfect to hide until those of us with armor have engaged. This way, we can hit them front and back."

Crixus is very much in favor of 'attack is the best defense'. I suggest we find several boulders to hide, let the reinforcements pass and then hit them form both directions. Crixus and a spellcaster or archer can be in the back and the other heavies with the rest can be in the front. What do you say?

nerk
2015-11-03, 09:20 AM
Tulug listens carefully, and is able to make out more than any of the others have so far. The replies come from all directions, but most seem to be little more than small groups, shouting once and then going quiet. Only from the south do you hear more than a handful of voices. They seem to be moving in your direction, up the hill, through the boulder fields. You estimate you have two or three minutes before they are here.

Jinna and Zania seem content to stay close to Tulug and do as instructed.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-04, 07:29 AM
"Tulug," Tobias whispered, trying not to distract the half-orc, "what do you hear?"

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-04, 07:36 AM
Wis (Perception) [roll0]
Wis (Medicine) to treat Jinna's broken leg [roll1]

The Hellbug
2015-11-05, 02:37 AM
"Tulug," Tobias whispered, trying not to distract the half-orc, "what do you hear?"

"A number of them, more than before," the monk answers as he opens his eyes, "they sound like they're coming up the hill from the south." He then turns to Crixus, "your ambush is a sound strategy; they won't get away this time."

Tulug follows Crixus's instructions whenever he gives them. The half-orc seems somewhat uncomfortable with the two noncombatants sticking close to him in particular but doesn't have the moxie to speak up about it.

nerk
2015-11-05, 11:59 AM
((Assuming Tobias meant Zania's leg, as Jinna is currently unharmed. I think I failed to make it clear who was speaking a few posts back.))

Tobias listens closely, and nods his head. A large group, coming up the hill from the road to the south. They were making no effort to be stealthy, and in the moment, he glimpsed torchlight on the hill below. With a minute to spare before they were close, he turned to examine Zania's broken leg. Unfortunately, he realized, he would need more time, better light, and a sturdy splint before he could do anything to heal it.

Crixus directs the party to take positions for the ambush, using the same open stretch of ground where they just fought.

((pretty much, you can chose to hide behind boulders, or lay prone on top of the bigger boulders))

Estralita
2015-11-05, 07:55 PM
Once the two of them were taken care of, Mara gestured that they hide as far back behind the boulders, before positioning herself as well as possible for the ambush.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-07, 12:25 PM
Tobias moved to hide behind the boulders with the others, staying nearby Jinna and Zania. He held his mace and shield close to his chest to hide the glow from the Light spell cast on the head of the mace.

Stealth?[roll0]

The Hellbug
2015-11-07, 07:41 PM
Tulug

Tulug douses his torch as he slips behind the boulders with the others; the bandits would probably bring their own light if it was needed, and there was no sense in giving themselves away that easily. He clutches his spear, waiting to spring into action against the unfortunate bandits.

stealth: [roll0]
advantage/disadvantage: [roll1]

ProudGrognard
2015-11-08, 09:48 AM
Crixus

Crixus nods as the others get into position. It was good to feel he said something right. He points at a boulder and says

"I will climb atop that and jump in their midst. It will be a nice distraction for them. Just don't take long to attack or I will be cut to ribbons"

Nodding again, he climbs up

nerk
2015-11-11, 09:10 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]

((doesn't seem to want to let me edit to add rolls :( annoying))

nerk
2015-11-11, 09:16 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

You hear the group approaching from down the hill. Their torchlight betrays their position. Everything's going exactly according to plan until you hear the whistle from behind you. Your enemies hear it as well, and they stop. Metal scrapes against metal above you.

((Crixus has the initiative. Also, from his vantage point on top of the boulder, he can see two figures climbing atop another boulder about 30' up the hill. It's too dark to make out any details other than humanoid shapes. The other group is still out of sight, 30' down the hill, below the group.))

((All difficult terrain as before, though it occurs to me that going downhill fast is relatively easy, but tricky. DC 8 Acrobatics check to move at your normal speed downhill. Failure means you succeeded in moving your normal speed, but arrive prone.))

ProudGrognard
2015-11-17, 03:53 AM
Crixus
HP15+5 AC 14

Crixus gets up the boulder without serious difficulty. It seems others had the same idea. Taking out a javelin, he hefts it and sends it at one of the climbers. Hopefully, he can thin the line before impact.

Atk with javelin [roll0] dmg [roll1]

nerk
2015-11-18, 06:36 PM
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

Crixus throws his javelin at the dark shapes, and is rewarded with the sound of metal on metal, and a loud grunt, followed by shouting. None of you speaks goblin, but he sounds very angry. Arrows whiz past Crixus, one coming close enough that he could feel the fletching brush against his arm. The two shapes drop out of sight behind another boulder.

From down the slope, a yell announces the arrival of the foes you had heard creeping towards you. They are a ragged-looking lot, carrying short swords as they rush up the hill towards your position.

((Crixus attacked at disadvantage because there was no light on his targets, so I rolled again for him, and he hit. Some barbarians have all the luck))

((The two hobgoblins are out of sight, somewhere up the hill. The bandits are more or less on top of the group on the ground.

The Hellbug
2015-11-18, 11:41 PM
Tulug

Not waiting for his foes to make the first strike, Tulug charges down the hill into the bandits. The tip of his spear flashes this way and that, not giving away who he would strike until the last moment, when he drives it at one of the bandits, following it up with a snap-kick to the man's chest as he steps back into a fighting stance.

Alright, there are going to be a lot of rolls here since I'll just roll for advantage/disadvantage up front, and nerk can just deal it out wherever necessary. Since the bandits are 'right on top of them' I assume I don't need to roll acrobatics to cover the distance to the nearest one but I'll roll it anyway. Tulug closes with the nearest bandit and attacks him with his spear. He then uses a banus action for an unarmed strike as per martial arts.

Acrobatics (hopefully not necessary): [roll0]
attack: [roll1]
advantage/disadvantage: [roll2]
unarmed strike: [roll3]
advantage/disadvantage: [roll4]
spear damage: [roll5]
crit?: [roll6]
unarmed damage: [roll7]
crit?: [roll8]

Hale and healthy.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-19, 09:01 PM
Tobias glances behind him, at the terrified and angry faces of Zania and Jinna. Though he knew better deep down, he blamed himself for their losses. He should have been there for them. He should have seen this coming. Were he a decade or two younger, he'd have been faster to react. His brow came together as he felt the old familiar anger bubble up. It felt like a fire in his heart, familiar and warm, and he liked it.

Agnes both loved and hated this side of him. She despised his temper, but loved his dedication to goodness. The fury that he felt right now was a righteous anger. He gripped his mace tighter, tensing his muscles. He stepped forward, and in one motion, he raised his mace above his head, the Light spell illuminating the area suddenly. With a furious yell, he brought the mace down onto the nearest bandit.

Tobias steps forwards the necessary amount to engage one of the bandits (preferably not the one Tulug is fighting). Hopefully they're not further than 30 feet away, or I'm gonna look stupid.
Attack Roll[roll0] Damage if successful[roll1]

Estralita
2015-11-21, 10:11 PM
Mara turned and attacked, lashing out at the nearest bandit. They were not going to hurt any more people whil she was there.

Fairly straightforwards. Assuming there's a bandit within 30 to attack:

[roll]d20+5[roll]
[roll]d8+3[roll]

Estralita
2015-11-21, 10:13 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

ProudGrognard
2015-11-25, 03:52 PM
Crixus
Ac 14 HP15+5

Crixus almost hears the arrows just miss him. Time for climbing is over. With not much as a yell, he jumps down at the bandits, trying to put the force of his jump at his swings. As he does, he feels the adrenaline start to pump in his veins, until it is a torrent.

Initiating Rage as a bonus action. Jumping down (if Athletics is required [roll0] )

Hope that the jump puts some swing at his poleaxe! Atk [roll1] dmg [roll2] Rage dmg included

Also, he will try to position himself somewhere that his reach will come into play