PDA

View Full Version : rage mage spellthief build, just for kicks

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-14, 11:43 AM
Just ran across a weird option responding to this fortune's friend luckstealer post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450625-Spellthief-Fortunes-Friend-Luck-Stealer-build-help).

The stub is
barbarian 2
spellthief 4
ragemage 1
1: feat
3: combat casting
6: precocious apprentice
9: master spellthief.

Rage mages ability reads: When she casts a spell of certain schools while in a rage, the rage mage uses her character level as her caster level.

Master spellthief: Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting other than the spellthief) for the purpose of determining what level of spell you can steal.

Do you add your 4 spell thief levels to your character level to determine what spells you can steal during a spell rage? Probably not.

But if the build was more like
Human
Sorcerer 1: precocious apprentice combat casting
barbarian 1
spellthief 2: master spell thief
barbarian 2:
ragemage 1:
Warblade x:
Jade pheonix x:

With a bunch of extra rage feats. At 20th level, during a spell rage, am I stealing 9th level spells? with no further investment in spellthief?

Additional question: Can I steal more than one spell if i drop more than 1d6 per sneak attack?

LentilNinja
2015-10-15, 10:25 AM
I don't think Rage Mage's ability works for determining what levels of spell you can steal, but I could be wrong.

To answer the additional question: No. You can't steal more than one spell per action.

Diarmuid
2015-10-15, 11:34 AM
Also of important note is that Master Spellthief can greatly increase the level of spells you can "steal", but it does nothing for determine what level of spell you can "store". In some cases simply denying the target the resource can be enough, but if you're assuming you will have that resource to use, you may be disappointed.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-15, 12:57 PM
I don't think Rage Mage's ability works for determining what levels of spell you can steal, but I could be wrong.

To answer the additional question: No. You can't steal more than one spell per action.

Also of important note is that Master Spellthief can greatly increase the level of spells you can "steal", but it does nothing for determine what level of spell you can "store". In some cases simply denying the target the resource can be enough, but if you're assuming you will have that resource to use, you may be disappointed.

So what you're saying is two weapon fighting with crescent knives (if allowed). Just drain off all of the spells. Throw a little wolf totem for improved trip and some knockdown in there.

Use JPM to arcane wrath the stolen spells, if I can't store high level spells as a swift action immediately after my first hand hits and before the second hand attacks. Would that work? It never gets stored...+9d10 damage on a channeled spell is nice, and seeing as how you can't actually use it other than immediately, it frees you to blow it for damage.

You can quicken a stolen spell with JPM's quicken strike. So you can hit and immediately cast, hit again and immediately swift arcane strike, and hopefully by then your opponent is dead.