PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making the best Sif (Dire Wolf D&D 3.5)

NapazTrix
2015-10-14, 02:20 PM
Ok, I've been in talks with my GM, back and forth between our games, and we have allowed to take out the feats that Dire Wolves have naturally as well as give them a flaw for the ones we buy/tame.

Since I have an Artorias character I basically want the Dire Wolf to become Sif. So I am working towards a Collar of Intellect to allow him to wield it.

I have 4 feats to work with to make him the best Greatsword wielding wolf ever, suggestions?

I was thinking along the lines of Weapon Proficiency, Focus kind of stuff.

Books: PHB, All "Complete", Unearthed Arcana, MIC.

OldTrees1
2015-10-14, 02:38 PM
Mouthpick weapon (+1 enhancement from Lords of Madness pg 46) is required for your Dire Wolf to wield the greatsword in their mouth. Although their Bite is naturally much better than a greatsword since they get a better version of the Knock-down feat for free with their bite.

You will want Weapon Proficiency (unless you can pay for the +2 Skillful enchantment) but Weapon Focus is not a good feat. (Negating a -4 penalty vs gaining a +1 bonus. 4:1 ratio.)

Power Attack -> Improved Bullrush -> Knockback would be a good deal with either bite or greatsword.

NapazTrix
2015-10-15, 10:58 AM
So: Weapon Proficiency then Power Attack -> Improved Bullrush -> Knockback.

What is the benefit from Knockback?

And I know the bite could be better to use, but I want it to be focused on the Greatsword more then anything as that is the character I am going for.

Snowbluff
2015-10-15, 11:00 AM

Bullrush on Power Attack. You don't move, and you add your power attack bonus to the bull rush roll, IIRC.

OldTrees1
2015-10-15, 11:03 AM
So: Weapon Proficiency then Power Attack -> Improved Bullrush -> Knockback.

And I know the bite could be better to use, but I want it to be focused on the Greatsword more then anything as that is the character I am going for.

Knockback (feat from Races of Stone) allows you to bullrush your target after each successful hit without having to move with your target. (with 1*the Power Attack penalty as a bonus on the bullrush since you are wielding it one "handed")

I am sure you can think of some use for getting to throw your foes around via the force of your swing. One of these uses is that you can get full attacks but they need to spend movement to get back to you. Another if for knocking them into terrain (say into a pit). Yet another use is hitting them into an allies range so that ally gets a full attack instead of needing to move. You can also use it to disrupt formations.

dysprosium
2015-10-15, 11:17 AM
According to Lords of Madness, the mouthpick weapon "while wielded in a creature’s mouth, the weapon automatically grants the creature proficiency in its use."

So you don't need to spend a feat for Weapon Proficiency. :smallwink:

OldTrees1
2015-10-15, 11:47 AM
According to Lords of Madness, the mouthpick weapon "while wielded in a creature’s mouth, the weapon automatically grants the creature proficiency in its use."

So you don't need to spend a feat for Weapon Proficiency. :smallwink:

Thanks for catching that.

If only the Dire Wolf had reach I would suggest Combat Reflexes -> Standstill.

Shape Soulmeld could give it some nice things though.

Windrammer
2015-10-15, 03:33 PM
Mouthpick weapon (+1 enhancement from Lords of Madness pg 46) is required for your Dire Wolf to wield the greatsword in their mouth. Although their Bite is naturally much better than a greatsword since they get a better version of the Knock-down feat for free with their bite.

You will want Weapon Proficiency (unless you can pay for the +2 Skillful enchantment) but Weapon Focus is not a good feat. (Negating a -4 penalty vs gaining a +1 bonus. 4:1 ratio.)

Power Attack -> Improved Bullrush -> Knockback would be a good deal with either bite or greatsword.

Could awaken the wolf and let it take class levels

NapazTrix
2015-10-17, 04:53 AM
Could awaken the wolf and let it take class levels

"An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount."

How will Awakening it help me if I cannot have it with me?

PersonMan
2015-10-17, 02:39 PM
"An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount."

It can choose to follow you - it can't be your Animal Companion, Familiar or Special Mount, but you can still have it with you - the point is that you can't use it with the aforementioned class features.

Windrammer
2015-10-17, 03:09 PM

Awakening an animal doesn't mean there's a magical restraining order between you. All this means is that it can just walk away if the DM will it.

It's like the difference between having the Leadership feat and having NPC's that decided to follow you. One offers mechanical guarantee and the other is a matter of logical discretion.

If your DM is reasonable, it'll continue to be a companion that is an animal, just not a true "animal companion" in terms of the rules that accompany that. Sif in Dark Souls IS pretty much a sentient animal, I think it needs to be awakened.