PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help my wolf

killingfish
2015-10-14, 02:39 PM
My gm has allowed me to take a flaw and change the feats which my pet dire wolf has as well as taking an extra one.
I want something run to use such as able to use weapons (could have sword in its mouth, or bag of throwing knifes on shoulder) stuff like that.
Or spiked armor.
However i do not know what feats to select.
The starts of the dire wolf is that of a normal one.
If possible i would like the wolf to help my character who is a tank and is all about saving others.
Please help the more out there the better :)

Red Fel
2015-10-14, 02:45 PM
There is a weapon enhancement called Mouthpick. Mouthpick weapons can be wielded by any creature with a bite attack. Such creatures are automatically proficient in the use of a Mouthpick weapon.

Your dire wolf has a bite attack. It can wield a Mouthpick weapon. Give it a Mouthpick spiked chain. It can now do all the things.

Alternatively, give it a necklace of natural attacks. The necklace allows you to enhance a natural weapon of your choice as though it were a manufactured weapon. Now its bite attack can be a +2 Flaming Thrown bite attack, or something. Go nuts. Or get an amulet of mighty fists, which enhances all of your natural weapons, but only with +X modifiers.

All are fairly simple options involving a single magic item and a few enhancements.

killingfish
2015-10-14, 02:50 PM
There is a weapon enhancement called Mouthpick. Mouthpick weapons can be wielded by any creature with a bite attack. Such creatures are automatically proficient in the use of a Mouthpick weapon.

Your dire wolf has a bite attack. It can wield a Mouthpick weapon. Give it a Mouthpick spiked chain. It can now do all the things.

Alternatively, give it a necklace of natural attacks. The necklace allows you to enhance a natural weapon of your choice as though it were a manufactured weapon. Now its bite attack can be a +2 Flaming Thrown bite attack, or something. Go nuts. Or get an amulet of mighty fists, which enhances all of your natural weapons, but only with +X modifiers.

All are fairly simple options involving a single magic item and a few enhancements.

All sounds good but 8000 for the Mouthpick, and at least 6000 on the necklace. in a group where money is mainly split and people dieing a lot, hard to get but a great idea thanks. any clues on feats to help??

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-14, 02:54 PM
You can just get a Mouthpick (LoM) weapon for your wolf. No feat necessary since you're automatically proficient. You'll lose the wolfs trip ability though.

For feats i'd suggest picking up Power Attack. After that it's mostly a matter of taste.
Combat Reflexes, Stand Still and various other lockdown feats, Improved Bullrush & Knockback, Leap Attack, the Mage Slayer chain... most feats that a fighter might want except weapon profiencies and things based on Combat Expertise (because it requires high int) are good choices.

Then there's a few more options. Dragontouched + Draconic Aura, Dreadful Wrath or Shape Soulmeld are all decent picks, depending on your build.

DrMotives
2015-10-14, 03:22 PM
I had a campaign where someone's awakened wolf had a gold tooth enchanted to give them a +1 bite attack. Just treated the gold tooth as a masterwork weapon suitable for enchanting. Kept the cost more reasonable.

Rubik
2015-10-14, 03:27 PM
If you've got access to the Open Chakra spells (or the Psionic Open Chakra power), how about giving your wolf Shape Soulmeld and binding it via a spell or power? There are some really nice soulmelds out there, even without essentia. I'm partial to shoulder-binding the Phase Cloak, myself.

Or if your dire wolf has enough hit dice, grab a ToB maneuver, followed by a stance when it levels up a bit. I'd suggest Crusader's Stance, honestly; free healing for every attack is great.

Of course, Improved Unarmed Strike would allow your dire wolf to make iterative attacks, adding its bite attack onto the end as a secondary at -5 to hit. Woofie knows kung fu. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJ4AIYQ7Wc)

Urpriest
2015-10-14, 03:38 PM
If you've got access to the Open Chakra spells (or the Psionic Open Chakra power), how about giving your wolf Shape Soulmeld and binding it via a spell or power? There are some really nice soulmelds out there, even without essentia. I'm partial to shoulder-binding the Phase Cloak, myself.

Or if your dire wolf has enough hit dice, grab a ToB maneuver, followed by a stance when it levels up a bit. I'd suggest Crusader's Stance, honestly; free healing for every attack is great.

Of course, Improved Unarmed Strike would allow your dire wolf to make iterative attacks, adding its bite attack onto the end as a secondary at -5 to hit. Woofie knows kung fu. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJ4AIYQ7Wc)

Normally I'd recommend Improved Unarmed Strike, but according to the OP this is just the base Dire Wolf with no animal companion modifications, so it won't be gaining HD. At that point, IUS is giving one additional attack, at a cost of penalizing the (higher damage) bite attack.

On the other hand, I would definitely grab some Armor Proficiency feats, if you can spare the money for decent armor.

Rubik
2015-10-14, 03:39 PM
Normally I'd recommend Improved Unarmed Strike, but according to the OP this is just the base Dire Wolf with no animal companion modifications, so it won't be gaining HD. At that point, IUS is giving one additional attack, at a cost of penalizing the (higher damage) bite attack.

On the other hand, I would definitely grab some Armor Proficiency feats, if you can spare the money for decent armor.Mithril chain shirts are about the best money can buy anyway, and they don't require proficiency to use.

Might I suggest a metamagicked Awaken spell?

DrMotives
2015-10-14, 03:54 PM
Might I suggest a metamagicked Awaken spell?

What's the metamagic for?

Rubik
2015-10-14, 03:56 PM
What's the metamagic for?If you were to Empower and Maximize it, what "random numeric variable" effects would be boosted?

DrMotives
2015-10-14, 04:52 PM
If you were to Empower and Maximize it, what "random numeric variable" effects would be boosted?

Ah. So 3d6 maximized at 150% becomes 27. Never thought of that before.

OldTrees1
2015-10-14, 05:17 PM
Ah. So 3d6 maximized at 150% becomes 27. Never thought of that before.
Well,

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

So it would be 18 + 1/2 * 3d6 or roughly 23