PDA

View Full Version : Crafting magic items

Ouranos
2015-10-14, 09:07 PM
So, the DM's guide is.... let's say a little vague, on this subject. Besides the requisite spells (which of course aren't listed for the sample items) and a "formula," what else is, or should be, required? I may have missed it but could find neither estimated costs, timeframes, any of it. Are these meant to be DM discretion, and if so, any ideas on what sorts of spells (beyond the obvious like Elemental Weapon, Magic Weapon, etc.) would you say would be used to create some of the cooler items?

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-14, 09:16 PM
So, the DM's guide is.... let's say a little vague, on this subject. Besides the requisite spells (which of course aren't listed for the sample items) and a "formula," what else is, or should be, required? I may have missed it but could find neither estimated costs, timeframes, any of it. Are these meant to be DM discretion, and if so, any ideas on what sorts of spells (beyond the obvious like Elemental Weapon, Magic Weapon, etc.) would you say would be used to create some of the cooler items?

They didn't, it is all eyeballed with no formula, and that is the point.

There are some bits like a common item will be around as strong as a first level spell, and a legendary may be as strong 5 or higher spells. Just go by what you think fits.

Bupp
2015-10-14, 10:00 PM
Brandes over at Harbinger of Doom came up with some more detailed rules...

http://harbinger-of-doom.blogspot.com/2015/05/d-5e-alternate-crafting-rules.html

Paul at Blog of Holding added on a bit...

http://blogofholding.com/?p=6908

JoeJ
2015-10-14, 10:00 PM

Costs, times, and level requirements are on pp. 128-129. They're all based on the item's rarity.

Ouranos
2015-10-14, 10:09 PM
Thanks Joe, I skimmed a bit too much and missed it!