PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Sonic snap vs Wings of Cover

graeylin
2015-10-14, 09:51 PM
What happens if you cast Sonic Snap at a person with the Wings of Cover spell?

Wings of cover negates a targeted attack leveled against the caster by a foe, though the foe can choose to direct the attack against a different legal target instead. Melee weapon attacks, ranged weapon attacks, and any spell that requires line of effect may be negated by wings of cover, though it blocks only the first attack from volley attacks and spells (such as Manyshot and Scorching Ray). Any attack negated by wings of cover is treated as if the attack had missed for all purposes, such as discharging a spell or using an “on hit” effect. Any attack capable of automatically destroying or ignoring a force effect bypasses the thin shield of force created by Wings of Cover.

You may also choose to use this spell against an area attack (such as a Fireball), in which case you gain a +8 bonus to AC (if applicable) and a +4 bonus on your Reflex save against it.

You create a brief but loud noise adjacent to the target. The subject takes 1 point of sonic damage and must succeed on a Will saving throw or be deafened for 1 round. This spell has no effect if cast into the area of a silence spell.

Initially, I thought WoC would negate the SS spell. However, is the SS spell truly targeting an individual? It creates a sound "adjacent to" the target, not at/on the target. Is this more of an area of effect spell, where it is centered on something, and in this case, one subject immediately adjacent is affected?

You don't roll an attack to hit with SS, and the save is only for the deafened condition. The spell does a hitpoint sonic damage, without a roll (well, spell resistance). So, is SS an area of effect attack, a targeted to an individual attack, neither, or both?

erok0809
2015-10-14, 09:55 PM
The Target line of Sonic Snap's info block reads "one creature or object" so, despite the text sort of showing an area of effect thing, it is a targeted spell. Wings of Cover breaks line of effect, making its caster not a valid target for Sonic Snap.

graeylin
2015-10-14, 11:31 PM
Can i target the wings of cover spell... the actual wings?

It's an object, and the WoC spell allows the "enemy" caster to retarget. And, if I do target the wings, do they take damage, and need to make a will save or be deafened?

Rubik
2015-10-14, 11:33 PM
Can i target the wings of cover spell... the actual wings?

It's an object, and the WoC spell allows the "enemy" caster to retarget. And, if I do target the wings, do they take damage, and need to make a will save or be deafened?Wings of Cover is an instantaneous-duration spell, but yes, you can target them; however, they protect the caster of the spell for the instant they're up, and using a spell to destroy them will mean they've protected whoever is inside. So you'd have to use a duration spell to destroy them, but then you wouldn't need to.