PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: Necromancer/Antipaladin of Happiness

emilin_rose
2015-10-15, 07:35 AM
So i got the idea from a song i like a LOT, what if you made an Evil paladin/necromancer devoted to happiness?

She/he goes around trying to make people happy and if that fails he kills them for being unhappy. There can be obvious limits to what they will do, depending on personality. Not performing sexual favors themselves, not making someone else miserable, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8pY4-uLXJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9iv4kYTQM

nedz
2015-10-15, 07:59 AM
A Beguiler might work better — or even a Bard ?

A Chaos-Pink aligned Half-Fey Paladin might work also :smallamused:

emilin_rose
2015-10-17, 08:11 AM
Well it isn't about the song so much as the idea. An evil Paladin devoted to happiness would definitely be unique, i think.

Don't even know where to start but i'm working on it.

Grim Portent
2015-10-17, 09:25 AM
Real happiness or just the appearance of happiness?

If it's just the appearance of happiness that matters you could go for an Orwellian thought police type thing, where not looking happy or content is enough reason to be punished or indoctrinated.

Thealtruistorc
2015-10-17, 08:18 PM
The song sounds like what George Orwell would write while high out of his mind.

Okay, as the default expert on Antipaladins in the playground, I have to say that this idea really does have a lot of potential to work. The world is a cruel and messed-up place, and what better way to reject the feeble attempts at attempting to order it than by just accepting the horrors of the universe unswervingly and diving headfirst into a pit of insane bliss, accepting the cruelty inherent in all things and being utterly ecstatic about it? It's so liberating, and so the rest of the world must know of this beauty that lies in just giving up all rationale. For those that would attempt to break this euphoric tranquility, they deserve nothing less than to be broken themselves. Everybody should be happy, right, and how can they be when these worrywarts are parading around with all of their "sensibility?"

Go into cities and start massacres for the sake of it, forcing so many people into madness that the leaders will have no choice but to take notice. Once that happens, gut them and usurp their positions, proclaiming mandatory happiness for all. Paint smiley faces on your banners and march your irreparably demented hordes into every other settlement out there. In the end, all will bow to you and will be glad they did.

Rubik
2015-10-17, 08:27 PM
SMILES, you say?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqVVtaWd8Pw

Warning: do not watch.

Thealtruistorc
2015-10-17, 09:48 PM
SMILES, you say?!

I think this just became the concept for a wonderful new CE villain of mine. I'll add it to my list after the Scaly bannerman, the psychotic bard, the Egoist Egoist and the silent terror.

legomaster00156
2015-10-17, 10:34 PM
Antipaladin of Happiness is not only possible, it's an easy character concept. Why else would you become an Antipaladin than getting a morbid joy out of evil acts? Nobody can tell you to stop doing what makes you happy when you can end their life with a few gestures. Hell, go further! Vampire Antipaladin who practically gets high off the feeling of a warm-blooded creature dying slowly as their life force is drained away.
A Chaotic Evil creature does what it wants. No limits, no regrets. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446414-No-Limits-No-Regrets-A-guide-to-the-Chaotic-Evil-alignment)

Thealtruistorc
2015-10-17, 10:58 PM
Antipaladin of Happiness is not only possible, it's an easy character concept. Why else would you become an Antipaladin than getting a morbid joy out of evil acts? Nobody can tell you to stop doing what makes you happy when you can end their life with a few gestures. Hell, go further! Vampire Antipaladin who practically gets high off the feeling of a warm-blooded creature dying slowly as their life force is drained away.
A Chaotic Evil creature does what it wants. No limits, no regrets. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446414-No-Limits-No-Regrets-A-guide-to-the-Chaotic-Evil-alignment)

1. I'm already here. There's no need for you to promote my guide (thanks anyway though. I need a more obvious profile pic)

2. I think that this character is trying for a bit more than morbid joy. What the OP seems to be after is a character who forcibly spreads happiness across the world like a plague, an unstoppable tide of smiles and giggles that levels everything in its path. Either way, the result is bloody glorious.

Cirrylius
2015-10-18, 12:30 PM
I think my roots are showing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHJ0EdVY4o)
On a related note, an Abyssal layer that had this kind of wide-spread joy and revelry that gradually devolved into a tearing Bacchanalian frenzy would be amazing.

Rubik
2015-10-18, 12:35 PM
I think my roots are showing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHJ0EdVY4o)Just how many children does Mickey have?

Spore
2015-10-18, 12:41 PM
Real happiness or just the appearance of happiness?

If it's just the appearance of happiness that matters you could go for an Orwellian thought police type thing, where not looking happy or content is enough reason to be punished or indoctrinated.

Yes please do this. To work on the necromancer aspect, go for "Be happy or I will make your pain go away. You are much better off as an undead zombie."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc67_BrCdPc

Cirrylius
2015-10-18, 01:02 PM
"Be happy or I will make your pain go away. You are much better off as an undead zombie."

"And then your zombie will be preserved, ordered to do something fun and whimsical as an example for people who don't look too close, and left to do that until it falls to literal desiccated shreds."

emilin_rose
2015-10-18, 04:25 PM
1. I'm already here. There's no need for you to promote my guide (thanks anyway though. I need a more obvious profile pic)

2. I think that this character is trying for a bit more than morbid joy. What the OP seems to be after is a character who forcibly spreads happiness across the world like a plague, an unstoppable tide of smiles and giggles that levels everything in its path. Either way, the result is bloody glorious.

Yes please do this. To work on the necromancer aspect, go for "Be happy or I will make your pain go away. You are much better off as an undead zombie."

"And then your zombie will be preserved, ordered to do something fun and whimsical as an example for people who don't look too close, and left to do that until it falls to literal desiccated shreds."

definitely an awesome guide, Theal, and you hit the nail on the head. Everyone will be happy, and if they're not happy, they get to die.

asnys
2015-10-18, 06:15 PM
definitely an awesome guide, Theal, and you hit the nail on the head. Everyone will be happy, and if they're not happy, they get to die.

How about Enchanter/Enchantress instead of Necromancer? You will be happy - you'll roll a natural 1 on your Will save eventually.

emilin_rose
2015-10-21, 07:14 AM
Ehh, i like the idea of killing unhappy people and turning them into zombies. Zombies are easy to make happy. Just feed them some meat.

Spore
2015-10-21, 07:54 AM
Ehh, i like the idea of killing unhappy people and turning them into zombies. Zombies are easy to make happy. Just feed them some meat.

Still, for this character to be relatable you need a backstory that explains why he is that sort of weird-insane. There has to be some sort of incredibly damaging environment that make it possible only to survive while retracting into a shell of insanity.

Maybe a mental necromancer that has a group of apprentices that get tormented every time they make a mistake. The weaker ones fail their assignments - permanently - but at least their pain goes away. There is some conditioning towards the silence of shambling zombies being more comfortable than the constant screams of pain they made when tortured. By the PCs hand no less.

Day 15: He finally broke. His screams of agony ended, the profanities and curses he slurred are silenced. Now I have to finish the ritual so he can have everlasting peace. Tranquility. Happiness.

emilin_rose
2015-10-23, 02:52 AM
That's the part i'm having trouble with. Its a good concept but why would they be that insane?

even if you take out the necromancy and just have an antipaladin of happiness who kills people who can't be happy. I'm gonna have to think more on it.

Maybe they were raised by an evil church and took the message entirely the wrong way?

Taveena
2015-10-23, 04:23 AM
For what it's worth, the Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Agony, which turns all pain into ecstasy, and the Eternity of Torture spell, are both INCREDIBLY Evil, from the Book of Vile Darkness. (Because masochism is evil, of course.)

Together, they make a rather splendid little lotus eater machine.

Spore
2015-10-23, 05:53 PM
That's the part i'm having trouble with. Its a good concept but why would they be that insane?

You live in a world of child labour and child soldiers. In a world where some corporations exploit everything about human lives, and simultaneously wealth and consumption are held as qualities of life. So there's a way to interpret your build - be it slightly altered:

Those who have the capability to enjoy life to its fullest should do so (aka your party and you). Everyone else should be freed of the sad state they are in and made servant*. But as using living beings to protect your lifestyle and have them provide for your transgressions into the realms of greed and desire feels kind of evil.

It is much more kind to use undead for that sort of thing. Having a well preserved mummy clean your place after an orgy or squad of skeletons to guard you feels right. Why? Because you are so busy enjoying life as you should.

Domains of this hedonistic principle (NE of course) should be: Evil, Community, Liberation, Death and Repose. Not for your build but to encircle what I mean by "undead fuelled hedonism".

*Note that his doesn't mean killing spree of anyone unhappy anymore. But you convert the willing to your cause, leave the indifferent be and kill and reanimate your opponents.

emilin_rose
2015-10-24, 12:19 AM
snippety

That is actually a very interesting perspective. Right now i'm thinking more in the direction of "if you can't be happy there is no point in living so i'll just kill you."