PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice on how to play a character. High intelligence, high wisdom and high charisma

djwood
2015-10-15, 10:12 AM
I'm making wheelchair bound character and my dice rolls are legit ! (With some house rule help!!) my character is an aasimar with a level in witch (gravewalker) and two in wizard.

So, got a few great scores, then some rotten ones. Since our group needed a spell caster, and placed the really bad scores in strengh and dexterity . Both these stats 11, and constitution is 14. His wisdom/charisma are 20 and intelligence 21. I'm curious how to play him. I've never put a lot of thought into how to RP out the high mental scores, but really want to try it this time. I know he's smart and kinda a know it all, so clever ideas and plans are out. It's mostly the intelligence and charisma that's kinda stumping me on how to play. He's N in alignment, and due to past problems, the DM stipulated our party background is we were childhood classmates, and we have to get along. So, what sort of personality would you guys play this rolling adept as? By the way, he's the kind of person who wants to learn as much as he can, I bookworm if I may. (I'm more of a sports guy, so I'm at my weak point here haha)

Thanks in advance!

Snowbluff
2015-10-15, 10:32 AM
Some tips for playing character smarter and wiser than yourself:

1) Look up some quotes that might be important for your game. For example, if you're facing an evil chessmaster style villain, chess quotes might help.

2) Have a philosophy for high wisdom characters. What drives him? How does he value other people and their traits? Be consistent.

3) Orient, Observe, Decide, and then Act. Going in half-cocked is only going to make you look dumb, unwise, and silly.

djwood
2015-10-15, 11:12 AM
Some tips for playing character smarter and wiser than yourself:

1) Look up some quotes that might be important for your game. For example, if you're facing an evil chessmaster style villain, chess quotes might help.

this is a great tip! thank you!

2) Have a philosophy for high wisdom characters. What drives him? How does he value other people and their traits? Be consistent.

He seeks knowledge, he wants to understand magic, the origins of it, before it being divided by schools. When no labeled it as evil or good.

3) Orient, Observe, Decide, and then Act. Going in half-cocked is only going to make you look dumb, unwise, and silly.

Could you please give an example, while reading this one I imagined a wizard pushing the barbarian with fist charged with fireballs. I'm guessing that's not it. haha

Snowbluff
2015-10-16, 09:57 PM
Could you please give an example, while reading this one I imagined a wizard pushing the barbarian with fist charged with fireballs. I'm guessing that's not it. haha

The OODA loop? It means to make you know what's happening before you do something about it. Once you have a grasp of the situation, then you formulate a plan and then act on it. Trust me, if you take the time to put it into steps, you'll be able to come off smarter IC.

Example are hard, but the wikipedia has a good example in the applicability header. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop)

Tuvarkz
2015-10-17, 02:52 AM

A high Wis Wizard would most certainly NOT blast. He would know that his role in disabling the enemy with crippling conditions and buffing his allies is more effective per the amount of spells used. At 20 WIS, you basically have a license to optimize your spellcasting. You have the INT to know what your spells do, and the WIS to know how to best use them.