PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Swashbuckler: Slashing vs Piercing

Ralanr
2015-10-15, 12:31 PM
I'm making a swashbuckler for the first time in pathfinder (I've been interested in the class for a while) and one thing I've always had issue with in Pathfinder (or most games) is weapon types. I can't decide between focusing on a slashing damage or a piercing damage swashbuckler. I don't have my stats on me now, but I do remember having a 15 in strength, dexterity, and a 16 in charisma. I'm making an Obitu Swashbuckler (It's on the SRD as a positive energy skeleton, DM said we could use non-official stuff and I thought a skeleton swashbuckler would be fun). Here's a link. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/Obitu)

So what are the pros and cons of slashing vs piercing weapons for a slashbuckler? Taking into account the feat that allows slashing weapons to work as piercing weapons for the sake of swashbuckler class abilities.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-15, 12:34 PM
Any swashbuckler wants dex to damage, from either slashing grace, fencing grace, or dervish dance. Your real question should be what near-identical weapon to focus on; really, I prefer Fencing Grace because it hasn't been slashed to hell with nerfs even if they don't really effect you, and it provides fringe benefits.

Ravian
2015-10-15, 12:46 PM
I'm making a swashbuckler for the first time in pathfinder (I've been interested in the class for a while) and one thing I've always had issue with in Pathfinder (or most games) is weapon types. I can't decide between focusing on a slashing damage or a piercing damage swashbuckler. I don't have my stats on me now, but I do remember having a 15 in strength, dexterity, and a 16 in charisma. I'm making an Obitu Swashbuckler (It's on the SRD as a positive energy skeleton, DM said we could use non-official stuff and I thought a skeleton swashbuckler would be fun). Here's a link. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/Obitu)

So what are the pros and cons of slashing vs piercing weapons for a slashbuckler? Taking into account the feat that allows slashing weapons to work as piercing weapons for the sake of swashbuckler class abilities.

I suppose the biggest decision is whether you're interested in the Inspired Blade or Whirling Dervish Archetypes. Both of these revolve around specific weapon types (Inspired Blades specialize with Rapiers, while the Dervishes use scimitars.) Of course, one of the perks of the Dervishes is that they already treat their scimitars as piercing weapons as a class feature.

It you're not using either of those, I suppose it mostly boils down to how feat-starved you are. Swashbucklers already get more combat feats than most characters, but as a melee combatant you'll likely be interested in using as many feats as you can. If you can spare a feat and have a particular concept in mind for a slashing weapon, go ahead and take it (character concept should generally be considered more important than optimization in my opinion.)

That said personally I'd skip the feat and stick to piercing if it doesn't matter to much. A feat can always go somewhere else after all, and the rapier is already considered a pretty darn good weapon anyway. If you really want to go for a more slashy character build, the Dervish is always there as an alternative.

Psyren
2015-10-15, 12:54 PM
Piercing is generally easier to resist because it also allows monsters to defend themselves against arrows. DR/piercing is rarer than DR/slashing as a result.

But ultimately it doesn't matter thanks to Weapon Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-versatility-combat).

Ralanr
2015-10-15, 01:38 PM
Piercing is generally easier to resist because it also allows monsters to defend themselves against arrows. DR/piercing is rarer than DR/slashing as a result.

But ultimately it doesn't matter thanks to Weapon Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-versatility-combat).

I never knew this existed.

This is now my favorite feat. Second only to Quick Draw.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-15, 01:59 PM
Damn, I've always wanted a feat like that. I need to pick up Undead Slayer's Handbook.