PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Let's create level 10 character for new FR campaign

Mordrigar
2015-10-15, 01:14 PM
Hello playgrounders! As I mentioned in the topic before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?449200-Ideas-for-Cleric-Dweomerkeeper) I'm about to start a new Forgotten Realms campaign.

I first thought about DMM: Persist Cleric build (Initiate of Mystra + DWK for using spells as (SU) in the antimagic field) but later I gave up. I want to play something all-around powerful and versatile.

All WotC books, including Dragon magazines, annuals, etc are open.

Alignment: Any Non-Evil
Point Buy: 30
Level: 10
Wealth: 35910 GP's (or 53865 if I write my background at least 2 pages lol)

Also, my DM has tons of house rules but one of the most important ones is "Familiarity". It's a new skill.
You need to be familiar with the creature you summon or wild shape (polymorph /Shapechange, etc) You should be successfull on familiarity check in order to cast your spell or use your power. (DC is: 10 + HD of target creature, 5+HD for Druids) For example, if you want to Polymorph into War Troll, you should have Familiarity (War Troll) skill and roll for DC: (10+HD of war troll) if you want to polymorph into Cave Troll, you should have another skill: Familiarity (Cave Troll)

Thus, you can only polymorph/wild shape into and summon a few creatures unless you have tons of skill points. As you can clearly see, Summoner/Morpher Wizards and Druids/MoMFs are nerfed.

Besides those, I'm open for all advices.

What I want is, All-around powerful (No pun-puns and infinite loops but it's okay to break game a little) character which shines between level 10-15.

I'm also open for role play advices (mostly political) for Forgotten Realms.

So, what do you think? What can you offer? I played tons of characters/concepts but can't decide now.

A super charger Barbarian/Warblade?
A red wizard who boosts his CL with his simulacrums/clones?
An incantatrix? (The group already has one but it's no problem)
A Cleric? Saint maybe?

Please make your suggestions and give me some useful hints & tips ^^

Tvtyrant
2015-10-15, 01:56 PM
What is the rest of the party like? You could always go Bard/Sublime Chord for massive buffing (dragonfire inspiration) and full casting.

Also if summoning is nerfed see if you can take leadership instead. Bard buffed minion archers are amazing.

Mordrigar
2015-10-15, 02:08 PM
What is the rest of the party like? You could always go Bard/Sublime Chord for massive buffing (dragonfire inspiration) and full casting.

Also if summoning is nerfed see if you can take leadership instead. Bard buffed minion archers are amazing.

Rest of the party didn't decide their roles but one of the players will go with Incantatrix (I'm not 100% sure) he is Gray Elven Wizard 5 / Incantatrix 5 and follower or Mystra.

Game will be sandbox, open world and challenging. And our GM said he won't show mercy at all, lol.

Also, isn't Sublime Chord's minimum entry level 11? So, I'll skip this option.

Tvtyrant
2015-10-15, 02:37 PM
Okay. Another good all-rounder is a Thrallherd, which gets a self-replenishing mini-army and combines with the sacrifice rules from Book of Vile Darkness well (cast high level spells by killing thralls).

There is also the Artificer, which can do a lot if you are allowed to craft in your backstory. 53,000 GP can easily be stretched to do a lot by taking craft cost reducers and applying your craft pool.

Mordrigar
2015-10-15, 03:30 PM
In one of my old games, one of the party member heard a call and went forth. He was randomly chosen as a "Thrall" for a Thrallherd. We killed the Thrallherd and freed our friend later. I mean, if I choose Thrallheard, I'm sure some adventuring party members or powerful wizards come and will ask about their friend's "situtation" This is a bit tricky.
Also, sacrificing is evil and I'll be non-evil.

Artificer sounds good maybe I can go with Warforged Artificer with wands for blasting but I'm not sure if I can craft anything useful at that level.